Charity Support

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a poke out there with December rolling in do you do your part to support the less fortunate, good charities out there. Do you have one close to your heart or one you believe in

This year doing a Santas anonymous collection
Food hamper drive

Easy to take life for granted

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always give to our local food bank. I know people can alway use a good meal. Time to give brothers.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe joining one of those Santa Claus parades in a nearby small town with a off-road vehicle I have,put lights all over it,kids love that sh!t, the parade usually goes around 3 times cause town so small lol

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do an adopt a family for xmas. Kids and I have enough so we don't get anything for ourselves, just the grand kids.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I used to sponsor family each year - basically use about $500 to buy gifts, food, gift cards etc.

I found it has become much more difficult to find that family in need..... Food Bank, Santa's Anonymous get my "holiday donations" while STARS & Stollery get the rest.

I'm well aware that I'm in no position to complain and the $80 fuel I put in the sled, or the $100 dinner out chit what about the $2000 Valemount weekend seems like a LOT of money to many of those less fortunate and struggling to get by BUT life has become much more expensive over the past couple years and does not look like it will get any better moving forward. I'm sure those charities that are already feeling the pinch will be in for a world of hurting in the future.....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Do an adopt a family for xmas. Kids and I have enough so we don't get anything for ourselves, just the grand kids.
How do you find the family? I used to do it through my kids school but they are grown now, one year I found an ad on kijiji and helped them out, I'm not sure how I feel about that, I think I may have been taken advantage of in that scenario - still felt good to help out and I'm sure they appreciated it, just not sure how much they "needed" my help

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
How do you find the family? I used to do it through my kids school but they are grown now, one year I found an ad on kijiji and helped them out, I'm not sure how I feel about that, I think I may have been taken advantage of in that scenario - still felt good to help out and I'm sure they appreciated it, just not sure how much they "needed" my help

I'm quite cautious of these ads as well, and would like to try to support a family in the Local Community.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time I go in the free stuff on Kijiji those need help people are on there, it’s total bullish!t cause it’s not the right place for it and I hear of people getting scammed

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm quite cautious of these ads as well, and would like to try to support a family in the Local Community.
I did it one year through the Onoway school. I have no idea who the family was (I like it better that way) but they were a lower income working family with 3 school age kids that could use a hand. I was given the ages of the children and a couple of "interests" for each. I put together a box with 2 toys and some treats & stocking stuffer type stuff for each kid and a $100 Bigway gift card. Threw in a couple of Christmas CD's and books and random "Christmas" type stuff like nuts/hot chocolate/candies etc. Dropped the box off at the school and one of the teachers arranged anonymous delivery - Best one I've ever done.

The kijiji one I arranged to drop off at the local firehall and she went to pick it up, but like I said that one felt more sketchy....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I follow Kari Skelton on Social Media, she's Ryan Jespersens Wife, she was talking about this program today, I think I'm going to throw some cash at it.

Basically from what I understood from her video is its a charity that opens up its doors for those kids of single moms who are struggling, and allows the child to pick a gift for mom, have a meal, and take home a gingerbread house kit to do with their family. I think it's a good option for support.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
necaafs@shaw.ca
this is a society i help out. I got started with it about 10 years ago, they used to run a short story in the Sun everyday of a family down on there luck that needed help for xmas. Mostly single moms with kids not much for food or presents. They are all screened through the society to be legit, and you can select a size of family or level of support you choose to give. You can choose just food certificates, just presents or the full meal deal if you are able. They offer tax receipts also.
This one is in Calgary but I would think most larger centers would have similar.
thanks to all that help out and give back!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's the big thing for me, I am cynical and don't want to give to someone who doesn't need it, nor will I do it through any place that doesn't pass along 100% of donations and instead uses it to line their own pockets like many do.

But I am kinda lazy, I honestly just want to give money and not buy stuff.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's me, I want to find a family or single mom that really needs help. Not bums, druggies, alcoholics, or ones that have a castle and drive a diesel.... I've heard of that where I live... I'd like to help someone down on their luck. Where does one find that.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't wait until Christmas or a special day, to help the homeless or families in need.

Even as I have been unemployed, more than employed in the past 1.5 years. I am still active with helping the homeless in person on a monthly and sometimes weekly basis. I started a thread about a year ago, to help non profit, and non government charities like; Hearts for Humanity, Angels in Action. As well I do monthly volunteer work with the Veteran's Food bank, and affiliate stores.

With HFH, they do weekly hot supper meals for the homeless every Saturday night in downtown Calgary. Everyone is a volunteer helping setting up, cooking, organizing, picking up food donations for local bakeries, farmers markets, clothing pick ups, staying to the end and cleaning up. This happens EVERY Saturday night. As well as Sunday random drop off to homeless people on the streets.

AIA puts together personal toiletries for men and women (for women, this can be very important), with finger foods, that help the homeless make it through the week. With the help of other local food banks, I have personally delivered AIA 10's of thousands of granola bars, small peanut butter jars, fruit cups, individually wrapped cookies, etc......

Everyone who's being a "good person" every December, those people need help every month. I'm not trying to preach the good book...... but maybe spread your December contributions out a little further....... Like a 100 bucks in 4 months, instead of one lump sum in one month??

Just a thought...... Every contribution helps :D

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I financially support the veterans food bank. Over the years I’ve supported various veterans organizations financially as well. Being ex-military it’s important to me that veterans who fall through the cracks are looked after. Financial support allows the organizations to quickly and directly provide support where they need it most.

Top Bottom