Changing Track: Seized LH Brake Assembly

K-Elmo

Reaction score
I am trying to change out the track on an XP. I found the LH brake assembly is seized and cannot get off. I am looking for ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its an interference fit on the bearing, and bearing to shaft. I slid the assembly out the lh side, slid some wood shims behind it, then bashed the shaft with a deadblow hammer until it slid out....then for re-install, heated the bearing and cooled the shaft, then slid bearing on....then heated the caliper mount and slid it on...

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The puller is the easiest for sure. The key is working it off straight, if it gets cocked it will not move. You can try some prying between the tunnel and caliper, working side to side to keep it straight. If you put something between the tunnel and your prying tool to protect the tunnel and it will also give you something firmer to pry against....a thin piece of sheet alum. or similar.
Did you already got the ring on the inside free and out of the way?

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did this. 2 man operation without the puller, heat the caliper assembly up around the bearing, make sure chain case is apart on the other side, wedge a pry bar with wood to spread the load on the tunnel(in between the caliper housing and tunnel) and swing a rubber mallet at the drive shaft(pushing the shaft to the chain case side while maintaining pressure on the caliper mount to let it slide off, you don't want to push the driveshaft out the other side because it cant, but it does have enough movement for 1/4" at a time back and forth. It was rude but that's how we did it in a crunch.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the puller is only $30....that's the way to go! I tend to work on toys late at night when stuff is closed..

marchuk

Reaction score
i jus put a piece of 2x4 against the tunnel and jus used a bar and it poped rate off

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Puller is the only way to go, I beat on mine driveshaft for an hour before I smartened up and ordered a puller. Yes, $30 from Blow Cycle. As Winter Brew mentioned, you have the retainer off the inside of the tunnel?

kgb117

Reaction score
Get the puller. I taking the track off this summer n that bearing was seized n would not budge no matter how much wood I'd stick in there n heat applied... I'm sure the older the sled the tougher it is...

Top Bottom