changing track on m7

nutma6

Reaction score
i have a 2006 m7 im trying put a new track on it and i cant get the drive shaft out of the the brake rotor.
i have tried using a 2x4 and bashing it out put some wd40 on it and tried heating it up and i still cant get it out.
anyone know any tricks to getting it out or just keep trying wat ive been doing?

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did your remove the bolt that is inside the shaft? The one you need a long extension to get at?

nutma6

Reaction score
Ya I got that out. I have my secondary out as well as my DD. The only way I think I could do it is pull the brake caliper off and try to pull the rotor off instead of pushing the drive shaft out.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
it sure is ...you need about a foot and a half extension......

Humm my 06 has a bolt right at the rotor.The bolt is about a foot and a half long.Then a weird looking nut on the shaft holding rotor on.I think if you pull the diamond drive you might be able to sneak the track in from the diamond drive side without taking the shaft out.I could be wrong. I would try that for the 6 bolts you have to loosen to take out diamond drive.You could loosen the caliper bolts under the tunnel to angle the shaft to help get it in ....

Good luck

Last edited:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with that bolt out and the caliper off if I remember correctly you should be able to slide the shaft away form your diamond enought we sneak the track out. I just used a dead blow to smack the drives.

nutma6

Reaction score
ok ill give that a try. i was wrong the rotor wasnt seized on. the shaft is seized in the bearing just behind the rotor. but i doubt that would make a difference.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just had the same problem on his crossfire 1000 just keep spraying wd40 and smacking it. It's common for it to sieze on it that spot, when you put in back together put anti-sieze on the shaft. I changed a track on a brand new crossfire 600, with only a 100 miles on it and it was a pain to break free as well.

Last edited:

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm my 06 has a bolt right at the rotor.The bolt is about a foot and a half long.Then a weird looking nut on the shaft holding rotor on.I think if you pull the diamond drive you might be able to sneak the track in from the diamond drive side without taking the shaft out.I could be wrong. I would try that for the 6 bolts you have to loosen to take out diamond drive.You could loosen the caliper bolts under the tunnel to angle the shaft to help get it in ....

Good luck

Mine is the same. I thought I was crazy when I first pulled it apart. I had another one the same as well.

nutma6

Reaction score
still cant get it out ive worked on it for over 5 hours. i have everything out just that stupid bearing is seized on.
ive been using blocks of wood and a hammer to pound on it but nothing happens.
i tried taking the six bolts off the bracket that holds the brake on and slipping the track off around the shaft but i couldnt get it. my buddys coming over wednesday so maybe with the two of us at it we could get it out.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbors just went through this. They unbolted the brake caliper and then was able to wiggle the bearing housing through the hole in the tunnel. Then use a press to remove the bearings. Cause if they are that rusted onto the shaft its time to change them any ways.

nutma6

Reaction score
ya i was going out to try that but thought i would check the forum quickly to see if anyone had mention it. cause i didnt want to waste more time trying to get a bracket through the hole and it not be able to fit.

nutma6

Reaction score
i finally got it out now getting my brother to bring it to the shop to press it out and press in a new bearing for me.
thanks for all the help guys

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to hear man. and I always said the diamond drive was the easiest to change a track on, you had one of the odd cases where it was difficult.

nutma6

Reaction score
ya thats what i was reading thats why i was getting so frustrated with it.

Top Bottom