changing chain case oil

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I just picked up a 98 rmk 600. I would like to change the cain case oil. I know how to do it but what kind of oil do I use and how much?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use amsoil since the Polaris dealer down the road in mara is the biggest rip off artist out there (just another poke at Backus Racing) lol. for the amount just keep adding till it is on the dipstick reading. I think it is around 500 ml but add 100 at a time and let it settle. I cant remember because some of my sleds have a reverse chain case and some dont lol.

SnowXTC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chain case oil is preferred. It should take 9 ozs. I use Amsoil, but the Polaris chain case oil is ok too. You can also use 80 weight gear oil in it; my husband does (maybe that is why he goes through the cranks). You can also use some additives (Lucas) which help to increase the lubrication properties of the oil you use. I pre-mix and measure mine, but I have a DnR and cannot use the dipstick to measure the level.

You might also want to consider replacing the bearings in the chaincase and on the driveshaft and jackshaft. I do mine every 2 years.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use chaincase oil, not gear oil. Gear oil is heavier and designed to withstand the extreme pressure and shear tolerances of gear to gear contact. Chaincases do not have this high pressure. You should use something thinner in you chaincase, like chaincase oil, this will allow you to achieve the lubrication and ensure that lube is getting to all the places it should. Leave some gear oil and some chaincase oil out in -20 temps and see which one is able to pour after sitting out overnight.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use chaincase oil, not gear oil. Gear oil is heavier and designed to withstand the extreme pressure and shear tolerances of gear to gear contact. Chaincases do not have this high pressure. You should use something thinner in you chaincase, like chaincase oil, this will allow you to achieve the lubrication and ensure that lube is getting to all the places it should. Leave some gear oil and some chaincase oil out in -20 temps and see which one is able to pour after sitting out overnight.

true dat
you can save a bit and cheap out and use a thicker oil but when your stuck on the side of a hill cause you wanted to save 4 bucks is it worth it

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

were do you find this?

SnowXTC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

7000 miles on an OEM 2001 800 crank, Amsoil Racing 2000, Amsoil Racing 2000 Chaincase oil versus 1400 miles on an OEM crank using cheap 2-stroke oil and gear oil, then about 1200 on updated crank using the same. I love my husband, but I listened to myself. Men do not know it all. Oh, the crank did not go at 7000, it was still getting 74 hp at the track at 4000 ft. I just felt it was time. I put 3000 on an 01 OEM crate motor and have since put 4500 on my updated crank. These are all mountain miles.

Please use chaincase oil. Gear oil will work, but only in a pinch.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So I went to can tire. there was lots of gear oil and what not. I didnt know what to choose. theres amsoil atf, gear oil, 75w90,ext. what is the best stuff to use from can tire?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went to can tire. there was lots of gear oil and what not. I didnt know what to choose. theres amsoil atf, gear oil, 75w90,ext. what is the best stuff to use from can tire?

i just picked up last week when i was getting the shell syn
their premium synthetic chain case oil its about 9 bucks for a 1/2 litre bottle
i am not sure who it is made by

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Amsoil synthetic ATF

C

Yep - that too - know lots of guys running ATF. Works great also.

Any chaincase oil, not 75W90, that's differential (gear) oil.

If they have the Amsoil ATF that would be good IMO.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regular or synthetic ATF. I run synthetic. I change it out every year and a 1 litre bottle goes a long ways!!

SnowXTC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Andre,
I wish I could help you out on what to buy a Canadian Tire. I love the store, but I live in the states and only go there every few years.

Come on guys, what should Andre buy at Canadian Tire???????????

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Andre,
I wish I could help you out on what to buy a Canadian Tire. I love the store, but I live in the states and only go there every few years.

Come on guys, what should Andre buy at Canadian Tire???????????

we have established this amsoil synthetic atf :d

Top Bottom