Skidoo Summit X shock rebuild

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geared up to do the stock summit shocks. You know these shocks are pretty good, there equivalent to an Elka Stage 1 or anything without adjustment. Piston heads and pistons are steel, the remained is aluminum.

Problem really is how the factory assemblies these and the oil they use. Both just suck. Typically they don’t bleed the air out of the oil correctly nor set the internal piston height at its most optimal location.

Good fluid and good assembly will go a long way.

Pictures of what’s inside, we’ll all know what they look like on the outside.

BFB5A1AD-21F2-4258-B0C1-A5F3929760CC.jpeg

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a higher mile sled that would need a shock rebuild. Is this something that a fairly mechanical person can do themselves? Is there special equipment needed?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a higher mile sled that would need a shock rebuild. Is this something that a fairly mechanical person can do themselves? Is there special equipment needed?

Nitrogen charge station
Needle charge tool
Tool for removing that bastard clip you see in the photo
Basic tools for disassemble
Lots of patients

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my stock ones rebuilt by enzo . He uses better oil and a proper charge. World of difference.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my stock ones rebuilt by enzo . He uses better oil and a proper charge. World of difference.
There is no question that Enzo's stuff is amazing, but for the price he charges you are half way or better to a much better set of shocks. Or at least it was the last time I looked around

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He did just a service on mine , however it was back in 2019 , and it was very reasonable.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you going to change the valving while they're apart?

Honestly no need to!

The stock shocks are missing 20% of there fluid from factory. That’s a lot of air introduced into the shock fluid chamber. A basic break down, clean, assembly with good fluid and ensuring no air into the system will yield massive results.

If it still feels ‘squishy’ then I will change up the valving.

I think I will do a small build thread on expert shocks in a little bit.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done lots of services on KYB forks and shocks over the years from yz85 to yz450f's. Do you have to remove the top mount of the shock to set the free piston height? What weight of oil are you using and what is the charge pressure on them. Usually the oil stays cleaner after the first service once everything breaks in.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done lots of services on KYB forks and shocks over the years from yz85 to yz450f's. Do you have to remove the top mount of the shock to set the free piston height? What weight of oil are you using and what is the charge pressure on them. Usually the oil stays cleaner after the first service once everything breaks in.

Well you can send your shocks to me and for a small fee I’ll re-do them for you.

Or just wait for a build thread on these

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in the Southern Alberta, give Charlie a call at CJR Suspension in Calagry 403 835 7049. he does alot of the Motocross stuff and also does sled shocks revalves service ect.. Great guy and good prices!

Top Bottom