Central Air

Adam31

Reaction score
Thinking about installing central air in my 35 year old home. Looking for others experiences with brands and installers. Would be willing to pay a little more for quality work and reliability rather than buying from big box store. Anyone here in this line of work? Thanks

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Thinking about installing central air in my 35 year old home. Looking for others experiences with brands and installers. Would be willing to pay a little more for quality work and reliability rather than buying from big box store. Anyone here in this line of work? Thanks

My buddy used Dyand Mechanical for his last house and was so extremely happy with them that he made a call to the management to give them their credit where it was due. Used them again for his "new" place, and completely thrilled again. Another friend used First Call and was happy, but I'm pretty sure they're uber expensive.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do commercial Airconditioning in Calgary and have a fairly good knowledge of equipment/brands. Lennox residential equipment seems to be a notch above the rest but you pay more for it. Lennox has several different grades of residential equipment I would suggest you don't buy there premium grade equipment as it is very expensive and always leading edge technology. Which can be a problem sometimes when reliably is important. Sure their warranty is great but that doesn't help when you're trying to sleep on the hottest day of the year. Recommends like the post above are like gold , you may want to pm extreme and get a name, it never hurts to drop a name of a loyal customer when starting a new relationship. I would also take a close look at replacing your furnace at the same time as you install the A/C.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lennox makes good equipment but their customer service sucks. I find York and Carrier to have good products and service. York has a 10 year warranty.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do commercial Airconditioning in Calgary and have a fairly good knowledge of equipment/brands. Lennox residential equipment seems to be a notch above the rest but you pay more for it. Lennox has several different grades of residential equipment I would suggest you don't buy there premium grade equipment as it is very expensive and always leading edge technology. Which can be a problem sometimes when reliably is important. Sure their warranty is great but that doesn't help when you're trying to sleep on the hottest day of the year. Recommends like the post above are like gold , you may want to pm extreme and get a name, it never hurts to drop a name of a loyal customer when starting a new relationship. I would also take a close look at replacing your furnace at the same time as you install the A/C.

Does AK Brown do residential work?

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Went through the shopping for AC last year. Had lennox come in for a quote(costco) and Canadian Tire (Bryant). Ended up with Canadian Tire guys and had Bryant system installed. No real reason for the decision besides the guy from central aire (Bryant) really seemed on top of what what going on and wasn't pushy at all like the costco lennox guy. They also offer 0% for 36 months which makes it affordable if your money is tied up in other places. It has worked great and also carries a no BS warrany for 10 years. Our house faces west with a large picture window in front and the temp inside stays at a nice 20C all day long. Highly recommend shopping around.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No different the Sleds and ATVs depends on the dealer.
Lennox in Edmonton is the parts dealer, they don't stock some common things, they wont stay a little bit late to get you parts or they wont leave parts outside front door if you cant make it during business hours. I'm not saying anything bad about Lennox installers.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went through the shopping for AC last year. Had lennox come in for a quote(costco) and Canadian Tire (Bryant). Ended up with Canadian Tire guys and had Bryant system installed. No real reason for the decision besides the guy from central aire (Bryant) really seemed on top of what what going on and wasn't pushy at all like the costco lennox guy. They also offer 0% for 36 months which makes it affordable if your money is tied up in other places. It has worked great and also carries a no BS warrany for 10 years. Our house faces west with a large picture window in front and the temp inside stays at a nice 20C all day long. Highly recommend shopping around.

Bryant is a product line of Carrier. I think it is a less expensive line.

Adam31

Reaction score
Lennox in Edmonton is the parts dealer, they don't stock some common things, they wont stay a little bit late to get you parts or they wont leave parts outside front door if you cant make it during business hours. I'm not saying anything bad about Lennox installers.

Exactly why I would like to find a small time guy who stands by his work, I know wishful thinking but they must be out there.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Would definitely be a factor in your region.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right Bryant is a Rebadged Carrier Just as Landmark is a rebadged Lennox they are both usually wholesaled by independent company's. Both trier 1 company's. Good to know if shopping around
Bryant is a product line of Carrier. I think it is a less expensive line.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Lennox and it works great.

Buster

Reaction score
My buddy used Dyand Mechanical for his last house and was so extremely happy with them that he made a call to the management to give them their credit where it was due. Used them again for his "new" place, and completely thrilled again. Another friend used First Call and was happy, but I'm pretty sure they're uber expensive.

X2 on Dyand and used Carrier unit

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the HVAC field, my company does not do any resi work but i have a couple friends who do. Triple 6 Mechanical and Romaniuk heating, Triple 6 is a York dealer and Romaniuk is a Lennox dealer. Also i do a little bit of side work,if you are interested in that, shoot me a PM.

blar

Reaction score
What does central air cost to install and run monthly in an older home?

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does central air cost to install and run monthly in an older home?

Depends on many factors, insulation, type of windows/coverings, size of house, type of equipment you have and type of equipment you ant to install.
Roughly between 3-5K to install a quality product. (normally includes upgrade thermostat, control wiring and power, ETC) I cant give you any info about operating costs, lots of factors to consider.

I personally don't notice too much of difference in my own power bills throughout the summer months.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that the increase in power bill was offset by the decrease in gas bill so it wasn't really a noticeable increase in monthly costs.

togo ripper

Reaction score
I'm a hvac mechanic and I would recommend Bryant or carrier,Lennox is ok but they seem to leak a lot more than the rest in the a coil in the furnace, I'd also recommend going with an actual heating and cooling company not big box stores better service and support local, also make sure who ever puts it in actually knows how to diagnose and fix if something goes wrong way to many guys out there that don't know what they are doing and screw things up in a hurry

Top Bottom