Cattaract Creek.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent been out since monday but we got 4" in High River on Tuesday. With the warmer temps this week I would think it's gonna get pretty thin down low.:(

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no precip expected until Sunday and warm temps, I think Cataract is done for awhile. If anyone heads down good luck and happy trails. Some riding is better than none I suppose.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anytime you are checking the weather I found Longview to be the best bet on Cataract conditions, some people use HighRiver. I can't remember if this has been mentioned before.

If I would have had my sled last weekend I would have gotten out on Monday, maybe we will get lucky and get some more early snow.

carlos

Reaction score
went down today from camrose,snow was good in the morn,but really slushy by4:00pm,rode cattaract loop,nice trail ride for new sleds,LARGE fresh grizzly tracks on trail,near the campsite! gota pic to load probly tomorrow, kinda tired now!

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
went down today from camrose,snow was good in the morn,but really slushy by4:00pm,rode cattaract loop,nice trail ride for new sleds,LARGE fresh grizzly tracks on trail,near the campsite! gota pic to load probly tomorrow, kinda tired now!

Would it be worth going tomorrow or wait for more snow???

carlos

Reaction score
probly be alright up top,the 13 km road was pretty slick on the way out, if i was closer i would be going out,but unfamiliar with area and don't like grizzlys!my mistake,we rode etherington loop,the cattaract loop is untouched.we were the only two there!i'm sure up top it might be ok!

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Went to cataract today for a few hours. No one was there riding.So i didnt go to far as i was riding solo.Snow is melting hard.Im sure tomorrow there will be some dirt riding in a few spots, down low anyway.But it was worth the trip.

:beer::beer::beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to cataract today for a few hours. No one was there riding.So i didnt go to far as i was riding solo.Snow is melting hard.Im sure tomorrow there will be some dirt riding in a few spots, down low anyway.But it was worth the trip.

:beer::beer::beer:

maybe i'm wrong but i thought that cateract creek is closed to sleds until Dec 01. you may have been lucky and missed a ticket or two

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
maybe i'm wrong but i thought that cateract creek is closed to sleds until Dec 01. you may have been lucky and missed a ticket or two

ITs open when there is snow.I saw the park ranger/fish and feathers. He just asked how the snow was. Never said anything else. From what i have heard you cant go over fording past untill Dec.....

Originally Posted by raceu4it
hope you had a good ride dave, by the way is there any signage regarding no riding till dec 1 or is that only at the south entrance to maclean?

I talked to forestry dude he said the fording pass is closed to sledding till Dec.
No problems riding from Cataract south.There was four guys with one sled taking turns racing through the parking lot with a four or five year old child with no helmets,insurance or plate that was getting a small book wrote for them by Ranger Bob.Kind of made me laugh as they graveled us while we were talking in the lot.Perfect definition of parking lot poser.

Dave

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

After being stopped by the game wardens and asked what conditions are like and giving a group racing through the parking lot taking turns with a five year old with out insurance or registration or helmets,true parking lot posers. I just spent the last half hour going through the bylaws and yes there are closures,at McLean creek no where near Cataract.Good idea before making posts on things that you know absolutly nothing about is to do a bit of investigating before you post.Kind of like thinking before you speak.Just my opinion though and probally most who read these "Run, run the sky is falling" type posts.Only reason I can see for a post like this is you want all that fresh snow for yourself or you are a id**t.

Thanks for your concern,
Dave

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After being stopped by the game wardens and asked what conditions are like and giving a group racing through the parking lot taking turns with a five year old with out insurance or registration or helmets,true parking lot posers. I just spent the last half hour going through the bylaws and yes there are closures,at McLean creek no where near Cataract.Good idea before making posts on things that you know absolutly nothing about is to do a bit of investigating before you post.Kind of like thinking before you speak.Just my opinion though and probally most who read these "Run, run the sky is falling" type posts.Only reason I can see for a post like this is you want all that fresh snow for yourself or you are a id**t.

Thanks for your concern,
Dave
YouTube - Cute Animals, "Why Can't We Be Friends"

Dave, you are in a conspiaracy mood tonight

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your concern,
Dave
YouTube - Cute Animals, "Why Can't We Be Friends"

Dave, you are in a conspiaracy mood tonight

Hmmm, that might be it,or I hate know it alls posting false info.Either way rant over.lol

Cheers,
Dave

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fluz map says that cateract creek is designated open jan 1, not sure what that means, you should have asked the forestry guy for his interpretation, may be according to snow conditions?
mclean creek says permitted jan1, which means not before.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the McLean Creek OHV Zone from Dec. 1 to April 30th, use is restricted to snowmobiles and OHV with 3 or more flotation tires, not exceeding 450 kg.

Or so this has been the rule for seasons past, have not seen any date changes posted for this upcoming year.
(as per Alberta Parks website)

Where on the FLU zone map does it say Jan 1?

This map doesn't show any closure dates that I can see? Which map do you have?

Top Bottom