Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

jon

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, talked to my buddie gonna give it a try Friday. Hopefully see a few other people down there.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody know if there's any snow left for a trail ride with the kid?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After the snow in town the last two days, I would bet that it may be passable, but probably not great. I hope I am wrong - in that it is better than I think, have a good ride!
anybody know if there's any snow left for a trail ride with the kid?

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Heading to Fording Area tomorrow. I Will update. Im expecting to ride two miles of gravel on way in and 3 on the way out. Anything less will be a bonus :)

Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There was about 3 inches of fresh in parking lot at 830 am. -15 in the morning. Buy the time we got back to truck at 6 it was +8 and all the fresh was gone. There is a fair amount of dirt riding down low on way out. I would say its pretty much done out there unless they get a big spring dump.( maybe down south out of Cataract staging area is better) Still lots of snow at fording and across the rocky pass. Snow on BC side was hard as rock with 4 inch of fresh. You could go anywhere. Was a great day to explore.I will find some pictures to post.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
A few pictures of the day. The best snow of the day was at the top of the pass. Believe it or not. After seeing the slide first thing in the morning. We didn't climb much.Some chunks were close to the size of my sled. It was hard not to but played it safe.

201304091202357.jpg

201304091202351.jpg

201304091202353.jpg

201304091202354.jpg

201304091202355.jpg

201304091202356.jpg

Snapshot_18.png

Snapshot_20.png

Snapshot_21.png

Snapshot_22.png

Snapshot_23.png

Snapshot_24.png

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of this white stuff falling down south? Looks like Calgary is forecasted to get a little more on Sunday!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of those comments were below the belt. I to love the drive from Highwood house to Peter Lougheed. The sheep guy is a fawkin' idiot.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of those comments were below the belt. I to love the drive from Highwood house to Peter Lougheed. The sheep guy is a fawkin' idiot.

Yeah I am sure he would just love hiking 35 km to go sheep hunting. He likely shoots them from his truck as it is.

Luckily we drive the 40 on the first day it opens each spring. It was a nice drive two weekends ago.

I will be disappointed if getting to Cataract is a challenge this summer.

sent from a top secret location

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates on the Cataract/Etherington area?
I was told that the Highwood House info centre is gone, washed away. Not sure what the status of the road is but my bet is it is still low priority.

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that the Highwood House info centre is gone, washed away. Not sure what the status of the road is but my bet is it is still low priority.
I love in Longview and went for a drive the other night highway 40 is washed completely at Eery Gap and I was talking to a ranger he said cataract bridge got washed out bad, so my guess we are not getting back there this fall, unless you have good horses

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the bridge photos and road reports are still on the kananaskis websites for cataract and etherington

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was down to highwood house and cataract yesterday. They still have the barricade up at the trunk road, but you can drive around it. I didn't feel like getting stopped by the forestry on a Sunday so I didn't drive to far past the people camped out at the bridge but clearly there are people likely driving into Etherington. The bridge is still out at Cataract from what I was told.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That vid is a good one, you can see where Cataract creek is now a river. This video which shows the trunk road from the Highwood House South shows Etherington at 1:00min, then the bridge out at Cataract at 3:00. Pay attention to the left hand side where Salter Creek which barely ever had water in is basically destroyed the campground access.

Forestry Trunk Road -- Kananaskis Improvement District - 2013 flood - YouTube

You get a better view of the bridge at Cataract at 3:55 and Salter Creek at 4:15 then the campground

Last edited:

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinking that the government wont be fixing the trails anytime soon... then again it might have opened up a new one for us.... I think its a right off for sure

Top Bottom