Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would find it hard to believe that much of the 940 from the Highwood to the 532 will be open for a long time to come.

If there was a gas plant maybe, but that road already has a winter closure and I am not sure there is any logging slotted for the West slope either.

Staging at Etherington may still be a possibility.

sent from a top secret location

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I hope we can get to at least Etherington. Does anybody know if our local snowmobile club has any plans of trail maintenance or repairs. You would think all the money we've given them for a trail pass's the last few years could go towards it. There should be lots since we haven't had any grooming for a few years. LOL

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope we can get to at least Etherington. Does anybody know if our local snowmobile club has any plans of trail maintenance or repairs. You would think all the money we've given them for a trail pass's the last few years could go towards it. There should be lots since we haven't had any grooming for a few years. LOL
I don't think the local clubs have the resources or the manpower to deal with the sheer devastation I'm sure went on in those area's. You could have a 20 ft creek that now is a 400 ft ravine. I would be surprised if there is much for riding out there this next few winters. Its not like the government will go in and fix the trails, they won't even groom them anymore.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If there is a good season, this place can be awasome.head over to the elkford side and good riding can be found quit easily without the 3hr plus haul.

That's what I just suggested. They can go up Aldridge and access that whole area. I don't know how Aldridge Creek would be going up because one can't get a pick-up across it since the heavy rains. One can quad up the "east side" but not drive past Aldridge

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Maybe they will let us stage at the old Highwood house, and we could ride the road into Etherington. Its only 8kms

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suppose we can drive up until the road is not maintained and sled in from there.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the highwood house bridge. I was there a few weeks back, drove on it.

It's everything after that down to the Chain lakes road that is the issue.

sent from a top secret location

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a survey crew at the "south end"/access from Highway 532 (where there is a 40 foot deep, 90 foot across washout - I could see 4 partial buried, 4 foot diameter, 80 foot culverts - in the road where a stream comes down the mountain) and they indicated that the embankments for the Etherington bridge are half washed away still. They indicated that it was sketchy, they were driving their quads across for their work, and that their boos had driven his 1/2 ton across, but that they wouldn't. No word from ESRD yet to report.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but was thinking last night even if we can get in there the creek crossings at Etherington were sketchy as it was, they might be completely impassable now. I was also looking at the creek in the video of cataract "that looks now to be a river" that could be one new cool trail!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That vid is a good one, you can see where Cataract creek is now a river. This video which shows the trunk road from the Highwood House South shows Etherington at 1:00min, then the bridge out at Cataract at 3:00. Pay attention to the left hand side where Salter Creek which barely ever had water in is basically destroyed the campground access.

Forestry Trunk Road -- Kananaskis Improvement District - 2013 flood - YouTube

You get a better view of the bridge at Cataract at 3:55 and Salter Creek at 4:15 then the campground
What is at 23:43? looks like it might need to be up kept, which will be good for us (priority to open the road).

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that is the gas plant by the 532, which is still accesable from the South portion of 40 (940) which I drove this past week from Livingston/Oldman up.

The bridge on the Oldman portion off the South 40 (940) past the oldman campground which is North of Dutch Cr has also been washed away. Quads have made a trail around the wash out. The makes a larger portion of that area unacessable for many.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the most up-to-date information I have come across for the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area, and associated roads. It is for hunters in the area, but is quite relevant for snowmobilers. I will be inquiring with ESRD about the availability of the Highwood House parking lot for sledders this fall, if the Etherington Creek bridge is not repaired for use this season.

Top Bottom