Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well definately no avy training! those sleds need to be pointing down hill for a quick escape, in the case of a second avy!

They could have training, doesn't mean they are going to use it and common backcountry safety sense. Just because people have training doesn't mean they aren't going to put themselves in dangerous situations.

People climbing and playing in areas where there is obvious slide activity is just plain dumb. Those are some lucky individuals. Do you think they learned anything from this experience? Not likely.

unkle dirrt

Reaction score
Not to point fingers here but why are there guys playing in the bowl? Its f'n dangerous in there right now and that's pretty obvious with recent slide debris at the bottom. Its not worth it guys.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lets end all the speculation we are avy trained all of us including the partly buried guy I have been riding the area for some 25 yrs or so started going back there on a 76 élan have been on training runs over the years with the RCMP we did check snow pack stability and only took 1 or 2 runs at the hill and started to play on the flat it was a poor decision on his part true but we all watched it happen from a safe distance and then moved in to rescue yes he and us were lucky that day but in the heat of the moment decided his rescue was more important than pointing sleds down hill to the 2 goofs that walked over to look with out having a shovel in hand thanks the fact that only one was buried and not 6 should stand up to how smart and prepared we are or are not should speak volumes I debated long and hard about even posting this but decided it would be an education for all members I see its just a place where the chit show can happen by the keyboard hero's and no real education value

so speculate on we were there and you were not

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, it may only be time before ESRD closes off the trail over by some means if users don't stay in bounds! Would a sign on the trial up/access off of Baril Loop help, do you think?
wow. not smart at all. the slide to the right is the one we saw as we were leaving the area. any more pics of it? people like this are the reason I liked this area more when people didn't know how to get into it, or were scared to go back over the creeks and couple of crappy sections. now with the snow we've had it is like a highway back there and everybody is going. we even saw snowbikes yesterday, although they were playing on Mt. Bolton and weren't actually on the BC side.... but that is whole other issue (and we did mention to them they were out f bounds, but they didn't seem to care).

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, it may only be time before ESRD closes off the trail over by some means if users don't stay in bounds! Would a sign on the trial up/access off of Baril Loop help, do you think?

There are multiple signs saying stay on trail, no snowmobiling on the way in there ......but im sure one more wouldnt hurt right in the run out zone LOL

Last edited:

mick

Reaction score
Well lets end all the speculation we are avy trained all of us including the partly buried guy I have been riding the area for some 25 yrs or so started going back there on a 76 élan have been on training runs over the years with the RCMP we did check snow pack stability and only took 1 or 2 runs at the hill and started to play on the flat it was a poor decision on his part true but we all watched it happen from a safe distance and then moved in to rescue yes he and us were lucky that day but in the heat of the moment decided his rescue was more important than pointing sleds down hill to the 2 goofs that walked over to look with out having a shovel in hand thanks the fact that only one was buried and not 6 should stand up to how smart and prepared we are or are not should speak volumes I debated long and hard about even posting this but decided it would be an education for all members I see its just a place where the chit show can happen by the keyboard hero's and no real education value

so speculate on we were there and you were not

Well said

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I was with SummitX on saturday and as we were back there there was stuff starting to fall on just about every slope. We saw it and knew the signs and at that bowl there was a large reminder that was there in the morning (the earlier slide) This is NOT a friendly zone at any time so KNOW the signs and play accordingly. BE SAFE!!!! saying "one more pull" is not what your friends want to say was your last thing you said!!!!
RESPECT MOTHER NATURE... she is cruel bi**h at the best of times. As we sat in the trees there was people pulling lines on slopes that were sunbaked for sure and please use these near misses as a reminder that were all happy to have these zones to play in and have our friends with us to leave the parking lot at the end of the day

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said

If that was you guys sorry to publicly call you goofs but in situations like that seconds are important i did not see you pull up and only saw you when i looked over my shoulder but what sparked my response was had we been doing a beacon search to see you there beacons not set on search and no shovels out could have interfeared with our rescue lessons for everybody that day

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that was you guys sorry to publicly call you goofs but in situations like that seconds are important i did not see you pull up and only saw you when i looked over my shoulder but what sparked my response was had we been doing a beacon search to see you there beacons not set on search and no shovels out could have interfeared with our rescue lessons for everybody that day

Well everybody came home so be thankfull... its done lets move on

katealim

Reaction score
Well here is the update as promised.....Our sleds can be airlifted out and yes it is considerably cheaper than replacing them! We have begun to coordinate a "sled rescue" for sometime this week, (want to get them out before the snow makes it impossible). Currently waiting to hear from the insurance company to see if they will cover the helicopter cost, (our sled is fully insured). Will definately have the gopros running to catch the video of them being lifted out of the gorge and will post it here. If you recognize the area they are being lifted out of...stay outta there! ;)

mick

Reaction score

Not us, 2 of us never got within 100m the third started to walk up and one of your guys said all is OK and waived us off so we pulled back about 300m just in case we were needed.

Last edited:

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thatz why we pay for insurance.....nice to here.Keep us posted.

katealim

Reaction score
yes. We got the sleds out on Friday and they are both fine...started first pull and managed to play with them for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, allthough we do have the chopper sled recovery on multiple gopro's; we were told directly by the pilot that we are not allowed to show the footage on-line as they have copyright on all video to use for their own promotional usage.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They might be able to copyright video being shot from chopper... But if you had anyone recording from ground post it up. They can't copyright video people take of them...

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that they are out. Would be nice to see some video or pictures of where they were sitting. But it's not worth fighting over with the chopper company.

jon

Reaction score
does anyone know current conditions or with the weather if the trails in are still rideable? was hoping for one more ride in there this season.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3" at Etherington parking lot and 8" down south.Hard packed under that.No bare patches but will be after this week's forecast.We were down there Sat the 23.

Top Bottom