Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Retrieving by chopper will likely be cheaper than replacing them.. There is guy from calgary that rescues sleds mostly in revy... Can't remember his name but he's on here. Search on site or someone who knows it post it! Give him shot before chopper. He gets them outta crazy places when not rideable. Best of luck. Glad to hear they were not injured.

katealim

Reaction score
Retrieving by chopper will likely be cheaper than replacing them.. There is guy from calgary that rescues sleds mostly in revy... Can't remember his name but he's on here. Search on site or someone who knows it post it! Give him shot before chopper. He gets them outta crazy places when not rideable. Best of luck. Glad to hear they were not injured.

ya the're rideable but not reachable! Thats why the rescue crew couldn't sled the guys out and they had to be air lifted.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know one of the people in your riding group,Chris is a good friend of mine and told me today about what happened.If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.You guys where supposed to ride with us last week but couldn't make it.Hope to ride with you guys as soon as everything gets straightened up.Again let us know if we can help in anyway.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yup let us know if we can help. Im off most of the week. I work thursday for sure. Have an extra sled to get in there. How about the gps coordinates? I pretty sure i know where this spot is

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out there today playing in the back bowls nice day until one in our group triggered what I believe was a level 3 avalanche he skirted down beside it and was knocked off his sled to the left of the run out he was buried head and 1 hand above the debris field only and sled was buried he is ok and I believe he still will go sledding again this was a horse shoes up the ass close call so let's be careful out there

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pics from today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 254

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The slide occurred about 250 meters to the right of this run out and there is a serious terrain trap there notice base of run out bottom lh corner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 250

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the pictures above are NOT the slide the guy got caught in today right?? I've got a pic of that slide from first thing this morning and there is not a track around it (see below)??? I'm glad the guy is ok, but the conditions there today yelled out disaster all over the place. we played on that slope first thing this morning, but as soon as the temps warmed up we went to the trees. as we were going to another area just after lunch we saw another avy come down, would this be the one buddy got trapped in?? it was under the rock band, an expected place for a slide to happen....

Attachments

• r.jpg
    r.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 292

mick

Reaction score
He was one lucky bastard, that whole group had go pros so they should have some video.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I don't even know where to start...!
Are you guys kidding me. Let me get this straight, we all know that area gets loaded up and we have had warm weather and fresh dumps, correct?
Now you say there was a fresh slide in the morning which is in the pic? So... lets just move over 250m from that and play all day????? Then in the end you say " let's play safe out there"??!!!
My bad "lets be careful out there"

mick

Reaction score
Wow I don't even know where to start...!
Are you guys kidding me. Let me get this straight, we all know that area gets loaded up and we have had warm weather and fresh dumps, correct?
Now you say there was a fresh slide in the morning which is in the pic? So... lets just move over 250m from that and play all day????? Then in the end you say " let's play safe out there"??!!!
My bad "lets be careful out there"

Try 25m

The best part was the 2 morons that were climbing right after the group that was involved left

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
IM pretty sure if i pulled up and saw that Avy in any of those three pictures posted. I wouldnt be climbing a thing. Glad your group memeber got out safe bhowes.

Neil403

Reaction score
Our group was out there yesterday, we were amazed by the number of dumbasses highmarking in dangerous areas. We saw a small slide happen above 2 sleds in another area, it's guys like this that ruin it for everyone. We avoided the steep stuff and just played in the trees all day.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe some people are that fkn dumb. Even the 4 guys sitting in run out. Let alone stuck in middle of two slides... Those run outs fill with 30' of snow there... Would you make it? Hell no! Be safe people. This is worst time all year. And because most big features haven't slid this year means when they do they will likely be huge!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda like the guy in this shot

wow. not smart at all. the slide to the right is the one we saw as we were leaving the area. any more pics of it? people like this are the reason I liked this area more when people didn't know how to get into it, or were scared to go back over the creeks and couple of crappy sections. now with the snow we've had it is like a highway back there and everybody is going. we even saw snowbikes yesterday, although they were playing on Mt. Bolton and weren't actually on the BC side.... but that is whole other issue (and we did mention to them they were out f bounds, but they didn't seem to care).

mick

Reaction score
wow. not smart at all. the slide to the right is the one we saw as we were leaving the area. any more pics of it? people like this are the reason I liked this area more when people didn't know how to get into it, or were scared to go back over the creeks and couple of crappy sections. now with the snow we've had it is like a highway back there and everybody is going. we even saw snowbikes yesterday, although they were playing on Mt. Bolton and weren't actually on the BC side.... but that is whole other issue (and we did mention to them they were out f bounds, but they didn't seem to care).

All other pics are too large to upload, and I don't have a clue how to resize them

This was as they were digging sled out

Attachments

• 100_2323.jpg
    100_2323.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Top Bottom