Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

Hirmkin

Reaction score
We we're out there yesterday, started a Etherington and made your way to the north side of Cataract. The trail out of Etherington is starting to show the dirt being kicked up. the rest of the trails are starting to shape up nicely. One caution we ran into is there's a good size tree over the trail on the lower Raspberry trail. There is away round it but is a pain. It needs a chainsaw to remove it. To the guys maintaining the trails kudos to you.

tucker_98

Reaction score
Anyone heading down today that doesn't mind a tag along? :) Itching for a ride but not so much to go alone

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Anyone heading down today that doesn't mind a tag along? :) Itching for a ride but not so much to go alone

Heading out to be there around 10-11am. Going with three newbies so not doing much for anything fun but welcome to tag along. Will be in Asonic roofing truck.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I now have work to do at home. Will be out Wednesday to work on trails. Will remove that tree. If anyone wants a challenge please head up and over Skyline trail. I think it may have a few drifts to bust up. Pretty hard for Skandics but mountain sleds could do it.
Thanks will be out tommorow

tucker_98

Reaction score
Heading out to be there around 10-11am. Going with three newbies so not doing much for anything fun but welcome to tag along. Will be in Asonic roofing truck.
Sounds like I may have a partner now but won't be down for another hour or two, will keep an eye out for you if I make it down.

Haywood

Reaction score
We are thinking of heading straight west up cataract creek tomorrow. any trail reports from todays rides and how he snow is in the cutblocks at far west end? thanks,

jazz 111

Reaction score
Will be heading out tomorrow for the day and will give a report on the conditions
Here are pictures from today as you can see we found decent snow we put on over 100km great day

Attachments

• kananaskis - resized.jpg
    kananaskis - resized.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 140
  • kananaskis2 - resized.jpg
    kananaskis2 - resized.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
We are thinking of heading straight west up cataract creek tomorrow. any trail reports from todays rides and how he snow is in the cutblocks at far west end? thanks,

Im scared riding cut blocks in March/April on a good snow year out there let alone December on a low snow year. I wouldn't consider doing anything other than trails out there. The snow is thin.

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im scared riding cut blocks I'm March/April on a good snow year out there let alone December on a low snow year. I wouldn't consider doing anything other than trails out there. The snow is thin.

I couldn't agree more. Low snow and logs, stumps etc. is a bad day in the works

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Guys I would not go there. Your sleds are worth more than the possible abuse they may be infor. Lowest snow levels in years and cutblocks are not the place to go.
This area is meant for trail riding only. Off trail riding is not recommended. Look at the regulations on the parks site. Just saying.
Fording is the area to head to for deep snow riding. Levels over there lower than normal also see Calgary sled guys report from another post

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I received a report from one of the guys who has been over Fording Pass for a number of years now. I listen to what he says, as he can attest to conditions up to the pass and beyond. See below:

"Hey Scott - We went over the pass without any issues yesterday, Boxing Day. We weren't the first guys over this year, somebody must have been out on Christmas Eve or maybe a few days before that. All the snow that fell here, it never even touched that area I don't think. The other guys tracks were still visible going over and in places on the other side. That is the lowest snow I've seen on the BC side for a first run ever. We saw another group of 2 over there, they got there sometime after lunch. Looks like they had trouble up the last climb before the pass as it had foot prints all over it and spin marks all over the rocks, so I still wouldn't recommend the trip for an inexperienced rider.

All in all a good day, but with the 50cm deep tracks we left everywhere, it now needs another good dump or some more high winds to freshen it up again before we go back.

PS. Mt. Bolton already has some serious wind buildup and has multiple fracture lines from slides already coming down. Gotta hope people keep their common sense about them and still within the rules and stay off of that slope again this year!!

(For those who are not familiar with Mt. Bolton, it is a small slope/hill/ridge peak off to your right as you reach the pass from Etherington. It is inviting, but is out-of-bounds, and slides regularly - please do not go there for your safety and to follow the rules - so that we may keep using the trail through the Wildland Park to B.C. pow!)

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Scott and his guy. Good report had good info. Like the Avalanche conditions report.

I was out today doing some grooming out from Cataract staging area. Had to take it right down to the dirt almost in places to get ride of the little moguls out there. Rocks and Rocks just poking their nose up. More snow will cover those. I'm packing and packing best I can to get a base set up. Wind blown in snow not the dump that is needed. We didn't get much from the dump Calgary received at Christmas time.
Had some riders out there today. Couple guys on Nytros looking for directions and some guys in Etherington Staging Area. Good guys out with the wife and kids. They tried getting into Fording but snow was low for them.

I'm heading back out tomorrow and packing where we can. Doing some signage as well. We are going to try to improve the destination signage out there this year. Time and MONEY will depend on how far we get. ASA donates the signs and we need to get them lettered at a sign shop first then installed. Pretty hard to pound a sign post in now but we will try.

Gates still not opened up at Etherington. We will try again. Tree down on lower Raspberry will be gone tomorrow. Ed will be joining me to help out. Thanks ED.

So conditions are improving 1/2 inch at a time. From Staging areas is minimal but gets better the further West you go.
Caution is still needed at creek and ice flows crossings. Still hazards under the snow so be careful out there. Had a spot today where a guy was ripping down the trail and lost it into the bush and trees around a corner. People slow down its a 2 way trail out there. Keep right and look for oncoming traffic. Keep to your side coming around corners and up hills. Rant over.

Thanks

warrentb68

Reaction score
Jazz 111, The snow looks good in your pictures. Where did you unload? What trails did you hit that were good and which ones were a bit thin?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jazz 111, The snow looks good in your pictures. Where did you unload? What trails did you hit that were good and which ones were a bit thin?

To answer your questions.
No matter which staging area snow is thin from each.
Snow is better South West of trail system
East Cataract trail and East side of Etherington all skimpy from staging areas
Watch for hazards till you hit deeper snow
Skyline is passable but drifted pretty bad. B.ring a shovel and help widen it out so we can get a drag down there please.

Top Bottom