Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes from pics it works better than a couple tires. which i use in marking lines. i can see the culvert working well as it is wider and will level snow out more. up one side of right of way and back the other side. 4 ft wide may work better for us tho. like walking on side walk the next morning.

your set up should work well as long as you get some community cooperation. should provide a real nice base without being spendy! :xmas-smiley-018:

Reklaw

Reaction score
Just got a new sled(hopefully picking it up tomorrow) and looking for some people to head out some time this year as Ive never been down that way. Might stay away till a little more snow with the new sled though. But would love to head out later on and meet some new people :)
:)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just looked at temp in Lost Creek. -30 right now. Think I`ll stay home again today and keep warm. Will be out there tomorrow and keep packing what is out there.
Snow from staging areas is low but gets better in the back of system.

Pray for snow when the weather changes over the next few days.

I would like a ride report for Fording from you diehard "Fording Riders Group".

Last edited:

Jonmudry

Reaction score
Just got a new sled(hopefully picking it up tomorrow) and looking for some people to head out some time this year as Ive never been down that way. Might stay away till a little more snow with the new sled though. But would love to head out later on and meet some new people :)
:)

Hey there,

If your looking for a riding partner feel free to give me a call - 403-470-7458.
I picked up a sled last year and just finished my AST1 training last weekend. Living in Calgary and looking to get out to cataract/Fernie/golden.

- jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just looked at temp in Lost Creek. -30 right now. Think I`ll stay home again today and keep warm. Will be out there tomorrow and keep packing what is out there.
Snow from staging areas is low but gets better in the back of system.

Pray for snow when the weather changes over the next few days.

I would like a ride report for Fording from you diehard "Fording Riders Group".

The group of us that usually heads up there first ride of the year hasn't been up there yet. The low snow down low scared us away. We were letting others beat on their sleds this year. Maybe it's doable now after this last shot of snow out there.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The group of us that usually heads up there first ride of the year hasn't been up there yet. The low snow down low scared us away. We were letting others beat on their sleds this year. Maybe it's doable now after this last shot of snow out there.

If we get up that way packing I will post here. If not this weekend it will be the start of next week

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Was that a day I was there??? I remember I had a good time, but you had a couple of stucks!!

You bet Cory. I recall we all got stuck at the Summit. You then Ian, then me before getting a couple more on the way down the back side. You were having fun in 4' of fresh with your old Summit and Ian was trenching 2' deep with his M8 while I was trying to stay out of his lines and buried that Nytro a couple more times before the snow thinned out again. That was a workout day for sure. Found these old pics of that day.

etherington dec 5 -09 005.jpg etherington dec 5 -09 007.jpg Sledding 016.jpg Sledding 019.jpg

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had a real good day today. Checked in at Etherington and it was -27 went onward to Cataract and it was -20. Gates are still locked at Etherington. Guess government guy didn't put it in his to do list.
Meet some riders on the trail today

Gascan. You wouldn't stop to chat. Whats up with that??? You and your boy went by us on Pasque Trail. We got out of your way and you just kept going.
Meet another group of riders on Oyster/excursion. Talked for a bit then we carried on.
Logging operations have begun on the Oyster trail and it will be shut down at the bottom of Pasque for safety reasons.

Snow about 10 inches back there but it all sugar. Even with a trapper trail up and down the big drop off Skyline we barely made it back up pulling the packer pans. Lots of spinning in that sugar. Snow sets up good BUT we need more. Next up we are going over Etherington and doing Upper and Lower Raspberry, Baril and if we have time Fording Trail to the old sawmill site.

So far we have put 140 Km onto the clubs new to them Utility sled. So far so good. Today we used 2 full tanks of premium fuel. Thanks for all the riders who purchased a trail pass to support our efforts in Cataract Creek.

Until I get my pics figured out on this computer you will have to go to Facebook to see pics.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WaterlevelOrientatedGraph

Basically what this shows is that the snow level at Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle Public Land Use Zone is the lowest now compared to historical information!

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just off the phone with Glen. He and Darryl were able to get out on Saturday, as he has already posted, and packed almost the entire south portion of the snowmobile trails south of Cataract Creek Trail. A big THANK YOU to the both of you.

Upon leaving the Cataract Creek parking lot, they proceeded west on Cataract Creek Trail to the Lost Creek Road bridge over Cataract Creek. They crossed the creek on the trail to the downstream side of the bridge, staying on the trail, and went onto Cummings Trail. They groomed the entire Cummings Trail north to south, staying on the logging road on the southern portion, that part of the trail south of the "Cross-Over Trail" to Skyline and Oyster Excursion trails. At the southern tip of Cummings trail, they turned west (really southwest) on to Pasque Trail.

They groomed Pasque Trail west (southwest), up to the southern tip of Skyline Trail and then down (continued southwest) to Oyster Excursion Trail. They then groomed north on Oyster Excursion Trail to the logging area - where Oyster Excursion is intersected by the logging road - and turned around. They re-groomed south on Oyster Excursion Trail to Pasque Trail, and then east (really northeast) on Pasque Trail to Skyline Trail.

From the southern point of Skyline Trail they groomed all of the trail to where it ends/begins at the "Cross-Over Trail". Here they turned west and groomed down to Oyster Excursion Trail. From this point they groomed back south to the bridge washout. Turning around there, they groomed all the way north on the trail to where it intersects with Fallers Trail. They groomed north on Fallers Trail to Cataract Creek Trail, and then turned east and groomed all the way back to the parking lot on Cataract Creek Trail.

Again, thanks you guys, your volunteering to do this is greatly appreciated by all!

Last edited:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet Cory. I recall we all got stuck at the Summit. You then Ian, then me before getting a couple more on the way down the back side. You were having fun in 4' of fresh with your old Summit and Ian was trenching 2' deep with his M8 while I was trying to stay out of his lines and buried that Nytro a couple more times before the snow thinned out again. That was a workout day for sure. Found these old pics of that day.

Of course the stuck picture you post is of me!!!! haha. All in good fun! I remember that was a great day. Maybe see you out there again this year!

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I was bored today so me and my dogs went for a ride down to Etherington and to Cataract.
It was snowing the whole time and looked darker to the west.
Maybe tomorrow or Thursday Thunder and I will get our first ride for the season in.
Braaaappp!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aa82c0f640c491ae707d75d4f313dd3d.jpg

7cb3df3f180db7b9d9bcf2984b41fe2c.jpg

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen and Ed have headed back to Cataract to pack or start grooming today. A report will be forthcoming of their activities.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We were out today. 3 other riders trying to find little pockets of riding snow and packing it all done. Windy.windy windy. Don't know if we had snow or it was just all blown around. There was powder in the bush but in the open snow was blown away.
We packed over etherington down Loggers over Baril and as far down Baril Creek Trail till we hit the open water at Baril Creek. Riders have gone on further but no way we were going to put the fat girls in that water. 800 lb sled ice and a packer pan never works out on a water crossing. tree branches will be needed to be put into creek to help it freeze over. Hint hint Fording Riders!!!
Gates at Etherington still closed we are thinking to keep riders from driving their vehicles down the trail to unload.
Did Upper Raspberry and all the way back down to Cataract Staging Area. 3Km out of Cataract staging area still a bit of rocks sticking their nose up. We have stopped and thrown piles of rocks off the trail your help would be appreciated. Just stop and throw or kick loose rocks off the trail width please. Thanks
We need snow no doubt about that. Base is being packed down little by little. We will be back out there after Christmas to pack or start grooming. All Track built me 2 new drags late last year and I don't want to bend them up on the rocks. Thanks ALL TRACK.
I'm not gonna blow snow up your @^$ and say riding is perfect out there but if you just want to putt around out there it should be OK. If you want to rip and tear please save a trail and stay home. Bend and break could be your option if you go crazy out there.
This area is still and excellent area for family riding and we want to be able to offer this product in the future. The dirt work we did this year and the new bridges are really making this area a good place to trail ride. Snow on a flat surface not eroded is a great thing to have. You don't need piles of snow spread around to fill in the ruts and pack a smooth trail.
We have put on over 200 Km packing so far this year.

Thanks for looking. Will update after Christmas. If you go out put up a ride report and show us what you did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom