Cataract Creek 2009/2010 - updates/photos/trip reports

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think smoking dave has gone very quite all of a sudden, maybe he finally put down the mean BC green and made the call, Well dave what have you to say, eating a little crow with the special brownies?

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
i think smoking dave has gone very quite all of a sudden, maybe he finally put down the mean BC green and made the call, Well dave what have you to say, eating a little crow with the special brownies?

You know its kind of funny how your trying to save us tickets for ridding in a closed area that no one new about.There are probley a dozen guys that rode out there or more this year with no problems.Even with the Rangers there.So realy it hasnt saved anything at all. All its going to do is get a sign put up there now because one guy made a stink on a snowmobile web site..........If it was posted and was a problem we all wouldnt have gone out to have a great day.

You might as well go stand out there with a sign at the staging area saying the smoke from our sleds is killing the trees and sound from are pipes are making the animals def.So we better not go sledding there anymore.

Realy its great to help out people with info. But this info is just screwing people of a place to ride untill Dec 1. I understand about areas getting shut down bla bla. But this wasnt a problem. NOW IT WILL BE .To bad it had to be a fellow sledder to stur up the pot and not a TREE HUGGER. Maybe if you were out there yourself that day having fun ,with INSURANCE,REGISTRATION,and without an 18 pack of beer straped to your sled you wouldnt get $1000 worth of tickets.

Anyways Thanks for the info. See you all Dec 1.

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You seem to be looking for a pizzing match,making some assumptions like that.Why not just go back too your cave you are an ignorant know it all I wasn't going to sink to your level and oblige you with any comments.In my books you are a hero no make that a zero. Good job!!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started with a question davie, you took it to another level, yes it is nice to be right, only that was not the intention, as far as i'm concerned you can go and ride catarac all you want, maybe next time make a few calls to find out, instead of calling a guy out for a pissing match , guess you came up a little short
sled guy you still don't get it, if you see a sign or not, you can still get fines. try to inform you two is a waste of time, instead of the big rant maybe a few calls will clear things up.

great i win a battle of wits with a couple of unarmed opponents.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started with a question davie, you took it to another level, yes it is nice to be right, only that was not the intention, as far as i'm concerned you can go and ride catarac all you want, maybe next time make a few calls to find out, instead of calling a guy out for a pissing match , guess you came up a little short
sled guy you still don't get it, if you see a sign or not, you can still get fines. try to inform you two is a waste of time, instead of the big rant maybe a few calls will clear things up.

great i win a battle of wits with a couple of unarmed opponents.

Bwwaaa LOL You are sooo intelligent.Unarmed opponents HAhaaa.I am handicapped but not unarmed.Nice one imdoo,n your self.Now thats funny LOL

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. lol. So it's closed till Dec. 1st. End of discussion. However, people will still be sledding there until signage is put in place, whether that be for better or worse. This is gay either way!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree with Rucky, if the final words are that its closed until Dec 1, then so be it. I don't see any further reasons for anyone to be arguing over it. We are all sledders who are itchin to get out and enjoy some local snow. Glad there were people who brought up the closure dates, glad there were people who confirmed it as well.

Had I been able to ride thanksgiving day like some others, maybe I would have gotten lucky to not have a fine, like the others, then again maybe not, had their been fines people would have demanded clarifications on the dates that are not posted on trails. Be it they are on a map, which not everyone has, we come to the internet to seek answers. I even tried myself contacting PeterLougheed and got voice mail every single time, contact Calgary Resources office and was transfered to Blairmore office each time to get transfered to an officer who is never in the office.

Thanks to those who put up the initial info, thanks again to those who confirmed it but what have we gained? And what have we fixed? The problem is there is no info posted in these areas or on the websites and when you actually make phone calls you don't always get the answers you need. Its great they stuck it on a map that some people had, but if you never had that map, how would you have found out?

At this point with all the snow in the SEBC I have no intentions on riding in AB anyways. But maybe there will be a time again that I do. I love it down in Cataract/Etherington. Its close and a fun little spot to go.

Maybe we can all find a way to help improve the information out there rather than be happy we were right or sour we were wrong (not saying anyone is sour).

And even if the areas are closed, we can still put up current snow conditions to tease those of us who are going to obey the rules and not sled there until the season opens. No one has even asked why its closed until Dec 1...

:beer:

thats my rant and post for the day -

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree with Rucky, if the final words are that its closed until Dec 1, then so be it. I don't see any further reasons for anyone to be arguing over it. We are all sledders who are itchin to get out and enjoy some local snow. Glad there were people who brought up the closure dates, glad there were people who confirmed it as well.

Had I been able to ride thanksgiving day like some others, maybe I would have gotten lucky to not have a fine, like the others, then again maybe not, had their been fines people would have demanded clarifications on the dates that are not posted on trails. Be it they are on a map, which not everyone has, we come to the internet to seek answers. I even tried myself contacting PeterLougheed and got voice mail every single time, contact Calgary Resources office and was transfered to Blairmore office each time to get transfered to an officer who is never in the office.

Thanks to those who put up the initial info, thanks again to those who confirmed it but what have we gained? And what have we fixed? The problem is there is no info posted in these areas or on the websites and when you actually make phone calls you don't always get the answers you need. Its great they stuck it on a map that some people had, but if you never had that map, how would you have found out?

At this point with all the snow in the SEBC I have no intentions on riding in AB anyways. But maybe there will be a time again that I do. I love it down in Cataract/Etherington. Its close and a fun little spot to go.

Maybe we can all find a way to help improve the information out there rather than be happy we were right or sour we were wrong (not saying anyone is sour).

And even if the areas are closed, we can still put up current snow conditions to tease those of us who are going to obey the rules and not sled there until the season opens. No one has even asked why its closed until Dec 1...

:beer:

thats my rant and post for the day -

most places are closed to sledders to dec 1.... do us all a favour and dont give anyone any ammo for shutting down our riding areas wait till dec 1 and then go out ....all we need is some tree huggers out there takling pictures of someone ripping it up before the opening date ... it does suck but think of how much better it will be when we do get to ride
i know i cant wait but i will wait
as far as it being closed till then i think it might have something to do with quadders .. dont want sleds running into them slow moving ohv's

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
most places are closed to sledders to dec 1.... do us all a favour and dont give anyone any ammo for shutting down our riding areas wait till dec 1 and then go out ....all we need is some tree huggers out there takling pictures of someone ripping it up before the opening date ... it does suck but think of how much better it will be when we do get to ride
i know i cant wait but i will wait

as far as it being closed till then i think it might have something to do with quadders .. dont want sleds running into them slow moving ohv's

I dont think it has nothing to do with Quadders polarice.Cataract creek is for snowmobiling only.

Cheers :beer:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you guys bring up a really good point.....I have a map 2009 and it says no sno riding till jan 1.....for eg mclean creek

yet on the trail grooming report from gov ab....it says opens Dec 1 mclean creek.....??

when I go to Mclean Creek for enduro rides I have lights...plates..taillights etc....to the letter of the law....

yet I go out there and I am amazed..... the conservation officers stand and chatting it up with guys....riding with no lights......and flying down the gravel road where they are not even supposed to be....signs all over the place.....they dont anything about it

but it does say that cataract creek is DEC 1 snow machines only.......just saying

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thread has sort of taken a left turn, anyway at least the info is out there, i don't feel right or wrong, and that was not the intention, so i'm out of this, beers.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think this whole 'discussion regarding closures' is BS. we rode it and we had fun. the snow is gone now, but if it wasn't i would've went again. the only thing accomplished here is that all of the rangers now know it is closed and it has been ruined as an early riding area. thanks, thanks a f'ing bunch.

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think this whole thread is BS. we rode it and we had fun. the snow is gone now, but if it wasn't i would've went again. the only thing accomplished here is that all of the rangers now know it is closed and it has been ruined as an early riding area. thanks, thanks a f'ing bunch.

Well I've got to agree with you.Got out there this year on the 12th of Oct. and the year before last Sept.16th.
As I don't usually ride these areas I have no need for maps so have never seen or read the closures.I can't find anywhere as I don't have the time and are or geeky enough.

As I'mdoon states there are rules at qiosks well I have yet to find ONE.No not one or SIGNAGE that states these facts.

And yes I did try to get through to the proper authorities but no one could answer me and could not sit on hold any longer seeing how I have a job.

I will be talking to the fish and wildlife and the Calgary snowmobiling club at the snow show on this matter this weekend.
If I find out that this is true from the horses mouth,not some key board officer I will post and obey the law at the same time demanding signage be put up.

And as far as the imature statements like making the assumption that my user name has anything to due with anything illegal is unacceptable.
I make a contribution on these different websites on nothing but positive ride reports and advice to riders and leave the policing to the police.
Rant over now please leave me alone Imadooin.:rant:

To the rest of you Cheers,
Dave:d:beer::d

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you guys bring up a really good point.....I have a map 2009 and it says no sno riding till jan 1.....for eg mclean creek

yet on the trail grooming report from gov ab....it says opens Dec 1 mclean creek.....??

when I go to Mclean Creek for enduro rides I have lights...plates..taillights etc....to the letter of the law....

yet I go out there and I am amazed..... the conservation officers stand and chatting it up with guys....riding with no lights......and flying down the gravel road where they are not even supposed to be....signs all over the place.....they dont anything about it

but it does say that cataract creek is DEC 1 snow machines only.......just saying

The conservation officers won't say or do anything because to give a guy a ticket they might have to go back to school to upgrade and get their elementary school diploma so they can actually write a ticket instead of putting down squiggles and happy faces. They are on the same lines as fish and game officers and police officers, to stupid to know anything about anything.:d

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think this whole thread is BS. we rode it and we had fun. the snow is gone now, but if it wasn't i would've went again. the only thing accomplished here is that all of the rangers now know it is closed and it has been ruined as an early riding area. thanks, thanks a f'ing bunch.

The initial thread was for people to post up conditions for 09/10 season and it was turned into a discussion of other items. But if the entire thread is BS I will certainly refrain from ever posting local conditions on this forum ever again. It won't hurt my feelings to know where the snow is and not share it with others seeing how often I am down that way for ther reasons. :beer:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The initial thread was for people to post up conditions for 09/10 season and it was turned into a discussion of other items. But if the entire thread is BS I will certainly refrain from ever posting local conditions on this forum ever again. It won't hurt my feelings to know where the snow is and not share it with others seeing how often I am down that way for ther reasons. :beer:

Sorry if your thread got off topic,as things from another tread followed over to this one.Your thread is not BS just a few posts that got posted after making there point on another thread.
I am sure from now on posts on here will be on conditions as the thread was named.
A personal "Thank You" from myself and appreciate your info as I am on here to see conditions and post my ride report and help out fellow sledders.
Its very rare that I get off topic or argue with keyboard knowitalls to which I am sorry.

Cheers,
Dave

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my sincerest apologies, it's not the thread, it's where the topic went. people talking sh1t about each other is not why anybody comes on here.

snow conditions and seeing pictures of people having fun is the reason. i had just read to much and was frustrated. please continue with condition updates, photos and stories of the good times and bad.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I may ask a question....for some of us that are not boondockers.....roughly how much trail is available to ride at cataract/etherington....and is it groomed...and can one ride at night???

anyone have trail pics..????

thanks

Top Bottom