Cataract Creek 2009/2010 - updates/photos/trip reports

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for the people who don't frequent the SW Alberta threads, this can be your link to the most up to date Cataract/Etherington snow conditions and general discussions for this season.

How about it, lets get some updates!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cataract creek is closed to skidoos until dec 01/09, if you are caught you can get fined, or you may get area shut down to sleds for good. Atvs are not allowed.

FYI

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh!!!! second. Was not aware of that. I presume that the signs are posted at the staging area?:nono:

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think Cataract Creek is time limited to snowmobiles in any way. If you download this 2009 Kananaskis FLUZ map it lists time restrictions for only the Elbow Loop and no others. It does name some gate closures, but the only seasonal gate closure in the Cataract FLUZ is leading the the Wilkinson Trail not the Cataract or Etherington Loops. There is a year round gate closure on the Etherington Trail which I'm assuming pertains to vehicles other than snowmobiles, I could be wrong. Please feel free to come forward with any SRD documents which may prove that the Cataract trail system is closed as you claim, you may just save someone a ticket yet.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cataract creek is closed to skidoos until dec 01/09, if you are caught you can get fined, or you may get area shut down to sleds for good. Atvs are not allowed.

FYI

I was in there already this year... We spoke with a fish cop on our way there. He gave us directions to the staging area. He said nothing about closures. He also passed us on the logging road while we were loading up. Didn't stop or anything. I'm pretty sure the trails and such are open year round. However, it is the pass into the alpine/B.C. side that is closed until either Dec. 1, or Jan. 1. At least that is what I was told.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you go under the cataract creek snowmobile trails where it says comments there is nothing. If you go under Mclean creek snowmobiles trails where the comments it states closed Dec 1 to april 30. I know its its out of date but they will up date it with conditions .So reading this i would say its fine when ever there is snow......

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

FYI

I will have another supporting post as to if this info is correct or not hopefully tomorrow. Yes I know you called, but there is the possibility the officer you spoke to was mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time that incorrect info was given to a sledder right? As per all the other posts, there is no specific dates given for any closures for Cataract. The PeterLougheed Park office actually looks after info for the area. They are Closed until tomorrow. And I called the Forestry office in Blairmore, but the Officer was not in who looks after that area. I will try them again later, or tomorrow.

Not that its a huge deal...there likely won't be enough snow to ride upon before Dec 1st anyhow. I might drive down this weekend to get out of the city but its nice for people to have the best info possible should they have the chance to get out.

I am surprised no members for the Calgary Club wouldn't have any info on this, or they just haven't looked at the thread.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
flip the map over and check under the black square box " know the rules". just underneath there is a coloured box "permitted Motorized Activities", snow vehicle mclean crk open jan 1 to mar 31
cataract crk open dec 1 to april 30 on designated trails only

yes i also called forestry in calgary, they confirmed opening dates. and stated that you can get fined for being there on nov 29

cost a friend and me around a $1000 for being in an another area to early in 2008, you can take this info any way you like, they like to fine you for a few things if they can. new maps are at kiosks, give forestry a call if you want to confirm, stay informed, heresay won't stand up in court, and we don't need another sled area shut down.

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah what he said

flip the map over and check under the black square box " know the rules". just underneath there is a coloured box "permitted Motorized Activities", snow vehicle mclean crk open jan 1 to mar 31

yes i also called forestry in calgary, they confirmed opening dates. and stated that you can get fined for being there on nov 29

cost a friend and me around a $1000 for being in an another area to early in 2008, you can take this info any way you like, they like to fine you for a few things if they can. new maps are at kiosks, give forestry a call if you want to confirm, stay informed, heresay won't stand up in court, and we don't need another sled area shut down.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My mistake then. It would be of great benefit if the local club could throw together some signage for the area. For the average guy going in there without paperwork, there's really no indication of the closure. It wouldn't take much to make some signs. Don't even have to be fancy. I would offer, but I'm not from anywhere near there!

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Heresay may not stand up in court but lack of signage would as there are no signs anywhere at Cataract or Ethrington,at these kiosks that you keep mentioning.There is signage about motorised vehicles in Peter Louheed park but that is it.If you got a grands worth of tickets please tell us exactly what your tickets were for.
Please tell us what your total came from or was this just for riding in a closed area?
What areas in Southern Alberta have been shut down? Just curious.Lots of talk over the years of closing down areas for 4x4's and quads,but even as unruly as these people are on long weekends closures have not happened.
Not trying to start anything just curious.
I hope someone follows through and can post wheather or not this is true from the proper authorities.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picked up a fine for 300 for not reading and obeying sign, 300 for not having valid licence plate, 300 for riding in unopen area all in first week of june in the upper clearwater ram fluz. dave i thought you were going to call the ranger office. you seem to forget that ignorance of the law is no excuse in court. information is out there you may have to look. it's your cash spend it as you will. maybe just read the new kananaskis country fluz map, all the info is on there read both sides. brochure is on the web site.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dave for some reason you think i'm lying to you, not much to gain on my part. contact forestry 403.297.8800 and find out. prove me wrong, if so i will probably be at mclean crk quading on sun nov 8. if i'm wrong beer on me.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dave for some reason you think i'm lying to you, not much to gain on my part. contact forestry 403.297.8800 and find out. prove me wrong, if so i will probably be at mclean crk quading on sun nov 8. if i'm wrong beer on me.

No not calling you a liar.Just need to no for sure as there are no signage at all.Could be the rules you have read are outdated.I have a friend that needs to know if there is still snow there as he needs to breakin his machine.He is out of Slyvain Lake so he does not want to waste time.

Chillin,
Dave

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's clear to me on the back of the map that Cataract/Etherington trails open Dec 1.Instead of discussing it until someone gets mad, lets wait until the Calgary snowmobile show on the 14-15 and ask fish and chips then.They always have a booth and I have never been told incorrect info from them.In fact,found out last year we had been quading in a closed area all year.The guy informed us "nicely" that we need to stop riding this particullar
area.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not tring to make anyone mad.Just can't believe while we were there that they would talk to us but not ticket us as they are usually difficult to deal with while they are there enforcing.Not just me that spoke to them in the last couple of weeks and no harrasment.
I have checked over and over and can not find any info on any site on Cataract.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure yet but have you got the kananaskis country map. simple open it up and read it, man i just can't believe what i'm hearing from you guys, get the map for crying out loud, or call forestry prove me wrong, man i need whiskey bad. forestry, no cost call 403.297.8800 it has taken more time to post on this site than to make a call.
maps and info at kiosk, you have to reach in and feel for one, yes it is the new one, sorry dave you offered avi class for cheap in another thread, i don't think so, you may not have new info that may save my life. :) already have avi 1, what more can i say a guy just can't win.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not tring to make anyone mad.Just can't believe while we were there that they would talk to us but not ticket us as they are usually difficult to deal with while they are there enforcing.Not just me that spoke to them in the last couple of weeks and no harrasment.
I have checked over and over and can not find any info on any site on Cataract.

Dave -- I have been reading this topic since it started and could not reach anyone from the Parks. I finally got through to Barrier today and he wasn't sure so he put me on hold 3 times and made calls to others and finally came back with the news that it does not open until Dec. 1. This was his final call to Fish and Wildlife among others. I told him about your experience with the Ranger and he replied that they probably weren't sure either so you were lucky. I made these calls because I wanted to know for sure before I went down there too.

Top Bottom