Cataract 2011/12

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about it but golden is going to be getting more and 30min diff in the drive for me so its a tough one. But it should be Deep!!!! at cat for sure

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about it but golden is going to be getting more and 30min diff in the drive for me so its a tough one. But it should be Deep!!!! at cat for sure

Only 30 min more to Golden than Cateract?(from Calgary, I'm in Airdrie).
So it would be a shorter distance to go to Golden than it is to go to the Crows Nest Pass from Calgary?

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live 5 min from the stoney trail and center/harvest hills overpass. from my house to Golden its 2.5 hours stop at tims... get a coffee and 30 min later im at Quartz..... just about every time within 10 min either way. then going south its aprox 40 min to okotoks and then depending on where you go its 2-2.5 for the crowsnest area. Castle/Corbin/Fernie. And 1.5 to Cataract from Okotoks it all depends on the snow as where I go.... Who is going.... who I want to ride with....
So the next question is as you are a new member.... Where have you been to and what type of riding do you do? Skill set? avi gear/training? Are you new to sleding in the mountians? Cause its way different than than the flatland. Did you want a few riding buddies that you can count on to keep you safe?.... Sorry just see the new part and if you go with the guys i go with its a need to know questions
Not trying to trash anything but would gladly show you around with the guys i sled with
Im sure you get it
RP

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live 5 min from the stoney trail and center/harvest hills overpass. from my house to Golden its 2.5 hours stop at tims... get a coffee and 30 min later im at Quartz..... just about every time within 10 min either way. then going south its aprox 40 min to okotoks and then depending on where you go its 2-2.5 for the crowsnest area. Castle/Corbin/Fernie. And 1.5 to Cataract from Okotoks it all depends on the snow as where I go.... Who is going.... who I want to ride with....
So the next question is as you are a new member.... Where have you been to and what type of riding do you do? Skill set? avi gear/training? Are you new to sleding in the mountians? Cause its way different than than the flatland. Did you want a few riding buddies that you can count on to keep you safe?.... Sorry just see the new part and if you go with the guys i go with its a need to know questions
Not trying to trash anything but would gladly show you around with the guys i sled with
Im sure you get it
RP

Great points indeed. I'm new to mountains and it is so much different than flat riding.....but sooo much fun. Your points on who you ride with and the question of 'can you trust them' to know what they are doing is bang on. I figure if I go do avy training and buy the best equipment to find guys - then I want the guys I'm with to do the same. It's your life in their hands and vice-versa - choose wisely. When i was a kid we'd sled in Golden, but that was in the 80's and sleds we're a tad more tame.....that said, I have Avy Training, the best gear I could buy (beacon, pack, probe etc) and will go Cataract this season for the less risky (not saying none) runs in small meadows and such. I have to say I'm getting used to the sled quite quickly and I attribute that to past dirkbiking experience. I have ridden Silent Pass and Quartz this year with a bunch of guys and it was ridiculously fun - that said, they all were all locals and super experienced and kept an eye on me and my whereabouts at all times.

There are plenty of guys on this site who are willing to take you out (I've had guys offer to take me out - just haven't had the chance with a new job this year), and next year I plan to rip it up every weekend.....it's kinda like golf, the more you play the better you get......

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes we (my daughter and I) are new to the sport this year. We have been in Cataract and have explored most of the area. Dont care for the bumpy trail riding much. We do have all the avy gear, pack, shovels, probes, beacons. Probably dont need it now but if you have it, you have it. If you dont..... you dont. if you know what I mean. I couldn't live with myself knowing I wasn't prepared and something god for bid should happen.
I have a stock 2004 600 RMK (Low miles like new condition). My daughter rides a trail sled 1994 EXT Cat 530cc that has been long tracked, pipe etc. Its very hard to side hill so we are staying away from anything really challenging right now. She has taken a liking to my sled so we will see what happens in the next few years. Dad might have to upgrade :)

We have three other guys that we ride with but aren't always available (like this weekend). My daughter is chomping at the bit to go out this weekend but we dont know where to go (need a safe area) And from the sounds of it Cataract is pretty much done.

So I would say we are newbies. Would love to go out with some experienced riders to teach us a trick or two, or show us some new areas. I've been up through the pass once (from the north parking lot at Cataract), my daughter hasn't but I'm confident she could make it other than that one small stretch with the side hill.... depending how bad it is. From what I have heard it always changes.

We were thinking about going south to Atlas (Crows Nest) Friday (tomorrow or Saturday). I've been there with my off road dune buggy once. Dont really know the area that well and it's a long drive if conditions suck..... wouldn't know where else to go for better snow. Plus going out with just the two of us I'm not too cool about.

Some clips of my daughter and I just for fun.... Hope they work...

Last edited:

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the EXT El Tigre! My son loves the ET300, but he needs an upgraded track like your daughters sled!

I hear Longview got 25cm yesterday.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am very impressed with where she can go with it. It's been a long season tweaking it getting it to run right but finally its all there. I'm sure the engine has had work to it. it's got aftermarket carbs on it and the jetting according to the chart on the clutch cover is way off but plugs are perfect with the jets I have in it and it runs like a champ. I put some really wide ski skins on the front as well. Seemed to help allot to keep the nose up.

Maybe Cataract will be OK this weekend???

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am very impressed with where she can go with it. It's been a long season tweaking it getting it to run right but finally its all there. I'm sure the engine has had work to it. it's got aftermarket carbs on it and the jetting according to the chart on the clutch cover is way off but plugs are perfect with the jets I have in it and it runs like a champ. I put some really wide ski skins on the front as well. Seemed to help allot to keep the nose up.

Maybe Cataract will be OK this weekend???

Will be in the parking lot Saturday morning....look for the Green Jeep....

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fantastic!!
We will leave Airdrie around 7:00 AM. Not sure how long it actually takes to get there, never looked at a watch when we have arived.
Which parking lot? First (north) or Second (South)

Where were you thinking of going? The pass?? You lead we will follow. If you want to wait around and see if we can hook up with some others thats cool. What ever you want, just very happy to have someone to be with (If we burry a sled basically there is only me to dig it out with just my daughter and I).

My junior Sled Betty is pretty excited...

We will be in this rig..
958d5ae4.jpg

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL.... like the vids my daughter decided to jump off there on that hill at the top.... she tummbled down the hill and wheen she got there the sled was at the bottom idling waiting for her. it was real funny. Cat should have got pounded but unsure at this time so i am going to quartz instead and i hate the creeks and bumps. have fun and ya we can hook up for sure one day for a ride and leave at 6:30 and you will be ready for 9am from Airdrie

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is anyone heading out there tomorrow? Im not 100% sure if im going out tomorrow but seeing if anyone is?

its 1hr 45 min from NE corner of city.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL.... like the vids my daughter decided to jump off there on that hill at the top.... she tummbled down the hill and wheen she got there the sled was at the bottom idling waiting for her. it was real funny. Cat should have got pounded but unsure at this time so i am going to quartz instead and i hate the creeks and bumps. have fun and ya we can hook up for sure one day for a ride and leave at 6:30 and you will be ready for 9am from Airdrie
LOL. that would have been hilarious. My daughter thought she was going off the back. I told he to stand up next time :).
That would be cool. Looking forward to it!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone heading out there tomorrow? Im not 100% sure if im going out tomorrow but seeing if anyone is?

its 1hr 45 min from NE corner of city.

We are flexable if Friday is a better day.... maybe better snow conditions?? one more day, one more day of melt??

We will leave at 6:30.... dont want to keep you waiting... will be going down Hwy#2 and turning at Okotoks.
Do we need to pack gas??

Tagurit

Reaction score
A couple of us headed out today up through fording pass. The parking lot this morning had over a foot of snow, when we got back there may have been an inch or so. We broke trail the whole way, there seemed to be more snow in the trees before you get to the second flat area (near mount Bolton) then in fording pass. Oh and those passes are full of snow, hardly hit a single rock.
Dont worry, we left a ton of untouched powder for anyone thinking of heading that way.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were ready to go, what ever works for all, were in..... Let me know...

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If there is any good snow left, I'd be interested in a day trip next weekend(I have never been to Cat in my 5 yrs of being here). Or even into CNP if anyone is interested???

Top Bottom