Cataract 2011/12

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fording pass friday
Fording pass march 23 2012 001.jpg Fording pass march 23 2012 004.jpg Fording pass march 23 2012 008.jpg Fording pass march 23 2012 015.jpg Fording pass march 23 2012 016.jpg

toyz

Reaction score
was there satuday, lots of snow. there was even some over the pass.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet....any big hill climbs getting in/out of Fording? would love to go....

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
sweet....any big hill climbs getting in/out of Fording? would love to go....

Not really any Big climbs.Few climbs though.A few spots that are getting tricky. Like the first picture in Foothills m8 pictures. Im standing on the trail that is all side hilled.We shoveled it all good to make it passable. One of the climbs is getting some fairly big drifts towards the top and they want to throw you off the trail a bit.....We also chipped down the edges of the creek crossings to make them easier to get across.Its not to bad if you take your time or stay on the ball.I wouldnt go there unless you know the way or someone that does.It can get confusing.Expecialy when the fog and blowing snow is happening on the top of the pass. Then you rely on the GPS.

Last edited:

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
Is anyone going riding tomorrow at Cataract? It is supposed to dump a lot of snow in that area. I have rode this area over Fording Pass into BC a couple times a few years ago but the memory is short and hope someone can show the way.

toyz

Reaction score
Most of it is fairly easy, couple climbs bur not that steep. The side hill, as explained, is slow going but not that big a deal.

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
I am not too worried about the trail I just can't remember the way as I am sure with the amount of snow that is supposed to fall any tracks will be covered.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Sunday might be a nice sunny one! Be some fun tree lines to be had :cool:

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone riding Cataract Saturday and can give us Sunday riders a report?? Looking to take my daughter out and probably head down the main road out of the South Parking lot.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late post. About 6" in the parking lot and it only got deeper as we went west! Only one bad creek crossing. Snow settled alot over the day. Parking lot was a mud pit when we left. Im haveing camera issues.Cant seem to get my pics up.

Reaction score
Yup, we were there yesterday as well...lots of snow the further west you get, but the parking lots and the lower trails were awful mushy by day's end. Hopefully it cools down a little bit and some more snow comes!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That has to be the best vid I've seen of ole cat creek, I've had some great rides in there in the past. Your lucky that the local clubs aren't promoting that area more or it would've been pounded out by now!

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK....I wanna go Saturday....anyone wanna show the newb how to get there.....Just got my snowbunje too!! LMAO..... :)

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a warning - all the snow in that video has probably melted, or at the very least settled. when we got over the pass we found up to 60cm in the trees in the morning. when we left, it was down to probably 30cm of VERY heavy wet snow. the type of heavy and wet that when you go down a slope you can see it start to push snow about 10ft ahead of you. the trail on the way in had 6inches fresh, on the way out parts were slush with the ground starting to show again. it was one of those "here today, gone tomorrow" type of snow falls.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a warning - all the snow in that video has probably melted, or at the very least settled. when we got over the pass we found up to 60cm in the trees in the morning. when we left, it was down to probably 30cm of VERY heavy wet snow. the type of heavy and wet that when you go down a slope you can see it start to push snow about 10ft ahead of you. the trail on the way in had 6inches fresh, on the way out parts were slush with the ground starting to show again. it was one of those "here today, gone tomorrow" type of snow falls.

Welcome to plus digits temps and the eastern slopes of the Rockies! ShawnMc was driving out there one day and it was something like -10 C in Calgary and when he got to Cataract it was +11 or something double digits....LOL Friggin Alberta!

Top Bottom