Castle Snowmobiling Area Closed after this year.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess you've never been to a National park..... no paved trail to Stanley glacier, rock wall Traverse, lake minewanka just to name a couple higher profile trails.
Banff is my hometown. Worked in Waterton for 26 years so yes I have. Very familiar with the Castle Crown issues.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason the dreaded granola munchers seem to get their way more then we do, is because they spend less time fighting with each other.
These threads are all the same.

If some of you guys spent half as much energy telling the government to **** off, as you do each other- we'd be a lot farther ahead.
All the facts and surveys in the world aren't going to have any impact on this.

The only thing that will, is to disobey it. Look at how effective all the other special interest groups are when they want something. Do the natives fill out surveys?? Nope. They march. They sit. They get in the way. And they refuse to take no for an answer.

And more times then not- they get what they want.

Put your helmets on. Take your registration with you- and leave your beer and bad attitude at home. Go for a ride out there. Disown the few ****heads that wreck it for the rest.

For weekend 'warriors'... some sure seem to want to give up pretty easy and afraid to make a stand.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason the dreaded granola munchers seem to get their way more then we do, is because they spend less time fighting with each other.
These threads are all the same.

If some of you guys spent half as much energy telling the government to **** off, as you do each other- we'd be a lot farther ahead.
All the facts and surveys in the world aren't going to have any impact on this.

The only thing that will, is to disobey it. Look at how effective all the other special interest groups are when they want something. Do the natives fill out surveys?? Nope. They march. They sit. They get in the way. And they refuse to take no for an answer.

And more times then not- they get what they want.

Put your helmets on. Take your registration with you- and leave your beer and bad attitude at home. Go for a ride out there. Disown the few ****heads that wreck it for the rest.

For weekend 'warriors'... some sure seem to want to give up pretty easy and afraid to make a stand.

Exactly! Blaming the government isn't going to protect our riding areas. Expressing resentment towards environmentalists isn't going to protect our riding areas. Complaining about all those who abuse isn't going to protect our riding areas.

What will? Organization, cooperation, and most importantly contribution would take our community leaps ahead. We have some that are willing to organize, few that actually cooperate, and almost none willing to contribute. We want to continue enjoying nature while burning fuel, a lot more of us will have to be more involved - it's not enough just to have an opinion.

Everyone ask yourself, "How can I contribute?"

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Blaming the government isn't going to protect our riding areas. Expressing resentment towards environmentalists isn't going to protect our riding areas. Complaining about all those who abuse isn't going to protect our riding areas.

What will? Organization, cooperation, and most importantly contribution would take our community leaps ahead. We have some that are willing to organize, few that actually cooperate, and almost none willing to contribute. We want to continue enjoying nature while burning fuel, a lot more of us will have to be more involved - it's not enough just to have an opinion.

Everyone ask yourself, "How can I contribute?"

...oops, forgot to say IMO. :)

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being unpopular; This issue was brought up back in September 2015, well over a year ago.
The threads on here warning of closures that I went back and checked had a total of 6 comments, not much discussion.
That is typical in my experience, no one wants to get involved before but look at them all now that closures are announced.
This is a direct result of the ;someone else will look after it mentality;
We saw a lot of it in the ten-plus years fighting against closures for the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club, yes, even our own members didn't want to 'get involved' until closures were imminent.
Most of the non-members don't even know what is happening until the signs go up, that is one reason it is important to belong.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Lems speech gave me man tears....what's wrong with discussion and doing? But I've only been on s&m for a year.

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a post I started in Sept 2015 with 4-5 pages, just search key word "castle" and there are numerous others.
That being said your point that no one cares until is too late is quite valid though.

Even more concerning to me is the questions on the survey asked are skewed to get the answer the pollster is looking for and no real option to answer any other way

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the survey , it is not an open survey by any means ...
But as many have stated , if they are determined to regulate a certain way , regardless of public input it is a tough situation indeed .
We Need lots of input to the people in charge as well as the official opposition .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy way to help the fight is to join local clubs
Membership

Joining a club is only a start. Most of us are willing to throw $20 or $30 a year at a club and walk away thinking we've done our part in supporting the community. While these memberships do help to fund a small portion of club activity and help to demonstrate our numbers, it does little to help the clubs perform or even survive. The Lac Ste Anne club has roughly 150 active members, including registered family members, but only has less than 10 hands-on members. Much of the hands-on help we receive receive is from people that aren't members of the club, some of which don't even own an ATV.

Last edited:

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to copy the link maybe one of you can do it. There's a poll in the Lethbridge Herald today regarding the closure at Castle and these were the results when I voted. I don't know if this will actually go anywhere but PLEASE take a second to vote....54,000 votes from S&M can't be a bad thing!!

image.jpg

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I did some research and found a document on ohv economic benefits Canada wide and breakdowns by each province. Can't load it but if you are interested pm me an email address and I'll send it.

Roughly 8 billion at the high end spent across Canada. Quebec and Ontario are highest in atv sales but not overall spent. Alberta's contribution is 1.2 billion. This includes rvs and equipment to pull rvs. Alberta is high due to more money spent on RV and on road equipment and distances travelled.

More than I thought for sure.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here the link for the poll. its on the right hand side of the article. send it to all friends you have(you know what to do)

it tracks your URL so you are only allowed to vote once, so it is ligit.

right now, 72% NOT IN FAVOUR

Update: Question has been changed. was 76% "NO" with 1100 votes. maybe they were getting results they did not want.

disregard twat below

Last edited:

GrumpyGuy

Reaction score
here the link for the poll. its on the right hand side of the article. send it to all friends you have(you know what to do)

it tracks your URL so you are only allowed to vote once, so it is ligit.

right now, 72% NOT IN FAVOUR

OMG @ Legit.... no sir. Do you have a PC, a phone and a tablet? Can you clear your cookies? Delete your browsing history? I voted... and it's still meaningless really.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMG @ Legit.... no sir. Do you have a PC, a phone and a tablet? Can you clear your cookies? Delete your browsing history? I voted... and it's still meaningless really.

If its meaningless why did you waste your time voting?

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
regardless, i don't have all day to do that. if nothing else, at least keep the greanies occupied all day, or maybe that is what you're doing, and now you're really pissed it just got hopeless putting "yes" votes in?

have fun. up to 76% now. bye.

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being unpopular; This issue was brought up back in September 2015, well over a year ago.
The threads on here warning of closures that I went back and checked had a total of 6 comments, not much discussion.
That is typical in my experience, no one wants to get involved before but look at them all now that closures are announced.
This is a direct result of the ;someone else will look after it mentality;
We saw a lot of it in the ten-plus years fighting against closures for the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club, yes, even our own members didn't want to 'get involved' until closures were imminent.
Most of the non-members don't even know what is happening until the signs go up, that is one reason it is important to belong.
There battle over the castle has been going on for decades and we have been loosing little battles along the way. This final decision is one the cons wouldn't do but Shannon Phillips was only to happy to.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the pole in the paper is a good cross section of the publics real opinion ?
Had they had a more legitimate pole in the NDPs research data , I would think that would be a more accurate picture of public opinion .
However Two facts remains :
1 : Are they prepared to show the real opinions ( comments )of the people who responded , because with a survey like that , any thing can be manipulated .
2 : And this is a big one , they are not bound in any way to follow the directive of the majority of survey respondents ! The NDP have a way of doing as they dam well please , wether it is popular / economically sound or whatever ...
They ask ( waste$$) but have not the slightest intention of of listening to the provided data ...it's a simple diversionary PR stunt .
Now I know some don't like to hear this , but it is unarguably a fact , based on what they have done since elected ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope someone gets the chance to invite someone from the "opposition party" that under stands how us in the OHV actives feel.

I'll let folks up here in our area know as there are a few that do the sled and OHV thing down there.

Is it for locals only, or open house for all that would enjoy sitting in too listen and learn what the locals would have to say.

There play ground as we are kinda guests in there area.

Lem

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been in contact with many of the locals down there. Their comment is that they know the venue, and it's not going to be big enough. They will appreciate support from all, that's how they roll down there.

Top Bottom