Castle Snowmobiling Area Closed after this year.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Revealed today in Pincher Creek.

All other OHV trails in area which stretches from south of Crows Nest to Waterton will be closed immediately or in 3-5 years.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan/faqs

at the end of point 8. OHV will mean snowmobiles as well.

there is an opportunity to submit comments. its worth a try, see if it helps.

Alberta establishes the Castle Provincial Park and the Castle Wildland Provincial Park and is seeking input on the draft Management Plan

From September 4 to October 5, 2015, Albertans were invited to comment on the Government of Alberta’s proposal to enhance protection of the Castle area. As a result of what we heard from the public, stakeholders and Indigenous Peoples, the Government of Alberta is pleased to announce the establishment of the Castle Provincial Park and the Castle Wildland Provincial Park. This protects important wildlife populations and habitat, as well as critical headwaters. Recreation and tourism potential of the area is enhanced and will help to diversify the local economy into the future.

Due to the complex nature of the landscape, Alberta Parks has developed a draft Management Plan for the Provincial Park and Wildland Provincial Park with advice and recommendations from First Nations and key stakeholders. The draft plan sets out objectives and strategies for management of the parks over a ten year period.

Your input is valued. Public participation is an important part of the management planning process and Albertans are being invited to share their thoughts and suggestions on the draft plan.
More information on the new parks, the draft management plan process, and upcoming public open houses can be found at www.albertaparks.ca/consult

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Follow the links and do the survey. The more of us that do will at least show that there is interest in the populace and that this kind of narrow minded, prejudiced planned restriction of wild land access is not going unnoticed.
The latte slurping, day hiking urban eco weenies have the ear of the government and are controlling the agenda despite the fact that most of them never leave the cities or use the wild land areas that they are are trying to deny us the use of.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fing joke subaru/granola munchers cry the most and get what they want

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the ****ing NDP that did this. No snow down there anyway and when there is it blows away.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the ****ing NDP that did this. No snow down there anyway and when there is it blows away.

Umm, the previous governments did all of the prep work on this, it was pretty much ready to happen when the NDP came in, pretty much guaranteed it was going thru no matter who was in charge. And the conservatives are the ones who created all of those other wildland parks we enjoy, as well as shutdown most OHV areas over the years. Not saying I don't think the NDP would do the same, but they have had power for less than a year, the conservatives decades. Blame the correct party for what has been done.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm, the previous governments did all of the prep work on this, it was pretty much ready to happen when the NDP came in, pretty much guaranteed it was going thru no matter who was in charge. And the conservatives are the ones who created all of those other wildland parks we enjoy, as well as shutdown most OHV areas over the years. Not saying I don't think the NDP would do the same, but they have had power for less than a year, the conservatives decades. Blame the correct party for what has been done.
You should pay attention to how much the NDP is messing everything up way worse.They have publicly said there needs to be more protected areas and set thier sights on Big horn area, fast tracked castle with a ohv ban, fast tracked helmet laws, fast tracked bill 6....land grab, immediately banned OHV during wildfires and in-cinerary targets,passed bills to fine littering random campers, watershed plan they are drawing up cites Atv as a problem,upped fines for crossing waterways......hmmm sure I'm missing lots but you starting to see the pattern? Believe me these are the greenie idiots that want you to stop riding.And they fast tracked a bunch of crap in our schools that really bother me.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should pay attention to how much the NDP is messing everything up way worse.They have publicly said there needs to be more protected areas and set thier sights on Big horn area, fast tracked castle with a ohv ban, fast tracked helmet laws, fast tracked bill 6....land grab, immediately banned OHV during wildfires and in-cinerary targets,passed bills to fine littering random campers, watershed plan they are drawing up cites Atv as a problem,upped fines for crossing waterways......hmmm sure I'm missing lots but you starting to see the pattern? Believe me these are the greenie idiots that want you to stop riding.And they fast tracked a bunch of crap in our schools that really bother me.

Well, as you brought up great points I am not sure you are for or against them? I would agree though that some of the ones you mentioned are better to have than not have. Why shouldn't random campers who litter receive penalties? And the water systems do require protection. There are several stream systems that I have visited for a number of years that have suffered for various activities like logging but there are also irresponsible OHV users who do not realize the effect of driving up and down streams and creeks. Fire Bans on OHV's during high fire rating periods may be new to Alberta but not the rest of the country. Many provinces have had OHV restrictions during extreme fire rating periods for 20+ years. When the bulk of the resources are already committed to a large fire anything that can reduce the chance of additional fires should be considered. I do not believe anyone suffered because they couldn't ride their quad for a week.

There are other ways to mitigate much of it though. There could be bridges and better trail systems put in to maintain OHV use. And winter activities shouldn't have an impact on sensitive areas as much as summer time but its cheaper and easier for them to outright close it to all OHV use.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not cheaper to close down areas to random camping , in fact the opposite ;it will result in tens of millions of lost revenue throughput the effected area .......

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not cheaper to close down areas to random camping , in fact the opposite ;it will result in tens of millions of lost revenue throughput the effected area .......
They already stated it will create 44 jobs......and guess what?!? It's tax payers paying it.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am struggling to see any of those things you listed as 'messing up' thing. Fines for littering campers, good. Helmet laws, are you serious? Increased fines for crossing waterways, so I guess the laws existed and people were ignoring them. Banning OHVs during one of the worst fire seasons Alberta had had is unreasonable?

Sounds like a list of good ideas.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with the majority of your posts.

But this one...tens of millions? I have frequent Castle area winter and summer. I can't say I see a lot of OHV users and random campers spending a lot of cash.

Even when I go on week long to ten day camping trips I and many of the people who I have camped with are spending money long before we ever get to these areas but maybe I am not considering something.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are attacking back country riders nonstop! That's my point. Are you forgetting this thread is about a huge area getting closed down to OHV? They want to shut down big horn? We are the number one target on the watershed draft?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the majority of your posts.

But this one...tens of millions? I have frequent Castle area winter and summer. I can't say I see a lot of OHV users and random campers spending a lot of cash.

Even when I go on week long to ten day camping trips I and many of the people who I have camped with are spending money long before we ever get to these areas but maybe I am not considering something.

I am referring to the trickle down effect . For example the dealer who sells the truck , the salesman ,the mechanic , the insurance company , the tire company , the gas station, the accessory shops .... Etc etc . This filters all across Alberta NOT just one area !
And in trucks / trailers / quads .. Etc etc

It's not just the $$$. Spent at a gas station in any specific area .....
Much much , more..!

For example , take bighorn area west of rocky . On a long weekend , I would guess there are over 300 units camping & riding . Conservatively @ 100,000 a unit.... Or 30 million $ apx. Now times that across Alberta's West Country.
Tens of million is way short in spin off/ way short .

This is what the NDP never ever consider , they do not understand basic economics....to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am referring to the trickle down effect . For example the dealer who sells the truck , the salesman ,the mechanic , the insurance company , the tire company , the gas station, the accessory shops .... Etc etc . This filters all across Alberta NOT just one area !
And in trucks / trailers / quads .. Etc etc

It's not just the $$$. Spent at a gas station in any specific area .....
Much much , more..!

For example , take bighorn area west of rocky . On a long weekend , I would guess there are over 300 units camping & riding . Conservatively @ 100,000 a unit.... Or 30 million $ apx. Now times that across Alberta's West Country.
Tens of million is way short in spin off/ way short .

This what the NDP never ever consider , they do not understand basic economics....to say the least.

So if people can't go to castle area you think the will be selling the camping gear? That is stretching it, They will go somewhere else.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If enough rules and regulations and areas are effected ... Yes , I think people will slow down or stop .
We are ruled and regulated to death .

west coast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a provincial park, fines are less than texting and driving. Are you a free man or a slave to some bs law?

ren

Reaction score
Have you ever been up Castle? Calling it a huge area is quite a stretch.

They are attacking back country riders nonstop! That's my point. Are you forgetting this thread is about a huge area getting closed down to OHV? They want to shut down big horn? We are the number one target on the watershed draft?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up to castle? Then id be from Mexico! Exactly the problem, nobody is going to see Castle from now on unless you can walk a 1000 square km.....isn't it funer to troll the "to can or not to can" thread?

Top Bottom