Castle Snowmobiling Area Closed after this year.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being unpopular; This issue was brought up back in September 2015, well over a year ago.
The threads on here warning of closures that I went back and checked had a total of 6 comments, not much discussion.
That is typical in my experience, no one wants to get involved before but look at them all now that closures are announced.
This is a direct result of the ;someone else will look after it mentality;
We saw a lot of it in the ten-plus years fighting against closures for the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club, yes, even our own members didn't want to 'get involved' until closures were imminent.
Most of the non-members don't even know what is happening until the signs go up, that is one reason it is important to belong.

I am on the forum quite a bit and honestly I had never seen the original post until it was brought back up to the top. I had no previous idea they this was even something that was in the works. It was another thread that popped up and I saw the dissections.

People can bring up the possibility of proposals but why are there not more clubs getting the info out to the users. I don't have time to follow every club in Ab and BC on Facebook, I don't know if they have their own forums like RMDRA does and so on.

If the info isn't continually updated and there isn't a way to ensure the public knows this is an issue how can people stay engaged and be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on the forum quite a bit and honestly I had never seen the original post until it was brought back up to the top. I had no previous idea they this was even something that was in the works. It was another thread that popped up and I saw the dissections.

People can bring up the possibility of proposals but why are there not more clubs getting the info out to the users. I don't have time to follow every club in Ab and BC on Facebook, I don't know if they have their own forums like RMDRA does and so on.

If the info isn't continually updated and there isn't a way to ensure the public knows this is an issue how can people stay engaged and be involved.

You make a good point. I didn't think to notify our club members since Castle isn't anywhere near us. However, it is still very relevant to those who live in central/Northern Alberta.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a logical assumption , that the NDP/ greenies will continue to push north .... I would think ?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a logical assumption , that the NDP/ greenies will continue to push north .... I would think ?

They were already gloating about a conected corridor...it pretty much is connected now, they will always want more.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot rides on the next election , as I really don't think the NDP main steam support lies with OHV , in fact they would use these closures to demonstrate their abilities to the " greenies" more than likely ...

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now you can walk from south border to Grand Prairie and not get spooked by a "redneck"

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot rides on the next election , as I really don't think the NDP main steam support lies with OHV , in fact they would use these closures to demonstrate their abilities to the " greenies" more than likely ...

will be too late by then. they will have the framework of all the parks in by then(before the next election), legislate it, and its done. once its legislated, a change in government will not reverse it. so yes, it affects all the eastern slopes, not just the south. This governments mandate is to focus exclusivity on environmental issues, look at what they have "accomplished" so far.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what we are up against .
Club tread for example ...

4 days ago · #1
New Castle Parks plan proposes to fully shut out ATVs
Hi folks,

Surprised that no-one has posted anything here yet about the announcement on the new parks plan for the Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildland Park that Premier Notley announced in Pincher Creek yesterday.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan

Anyone who has hiked in the Castle knows its been trashed by quads and illegal trails for a long time. This is the start of the rehabilitation.

Nice to see specific profile for the Great Divide Hiking trail too.

This is freaking huge from a non-motorized trail perspective. The backlash from the motorized crowd will be significant, so important if you support this change, and the ability to access these areas without the whine of machines you complete the survey, tell your friends and give them some kudos.

Last edited:

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think you're absolutely correct!! If you look at it geographically starting in the SW corner Waterton Park is closed off already. From there it's not that far to Banff which then ties in with Jasper, and its pretty easy from there to carry on right to the Territory border. With the Castle closure, limiting us to trails for now, and all the talk of no access over 6000' between there and the Banff boundary I am confident that through closed door meetings the intent is to limit all of our riding to trails and shut down any off trail access just like ON/QC. From the Gov't point of view look how easy it would be to police and regulate if they knew exactly where all of us are because they have us restricted to certain corridors, but they will never tell you it's for that reason, it'll be made to look like they are the grand saviours of the environment!! And as much as I'm not an NDP supporter I don't think we can lay all the blame on them for these changes. These plans were in the works before they were elected but now they are all getting fast tracked since they most likely won't get back in for another term, again making them look like environmental superstars.

As far as the info getting out there I think neighbouring clubs work well together, ie..Crow Snow Riders/Calgary, but where is the ASA in all of this? The trail passes we purchase in AB are all issued by the ASA why are they not standing at the forefront and getting this information out to every club? Maybe they are and I'm just missing something....Although I'm in the CNP I would be more than happy to show my support to clubs elsewhere such as GP or Ft. Mac, I may never ride there but they may have an issue that could very well affect me down the road.

Just my .02 cents...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It all ties in with the Y2Y concept. A search around Wateron shows how much land the Nature Conservatory owns and/or controls (did you know that this is as big or bigger than Waterton??). This is just another building block to "the dream". If an NDP government gets elected in BC, look out for closures on the western side of the Divide (it has started with Akamin/Kishanina). Back before the Liberals were elected, big closures were very close to being signed; from the US border right up to the Elk Lakes Provincial Park that borders on K-country was another proposed "park or closure".

The younger generation better get involved and get their ducks in a row because the previous "fighters" are tired and wore out. Join clubs (numbers help our cause), go to meetings (one has to be active and involved and not just a number), and fight the fight and not just sit on social media and be keyboard jockeys. The younger generation hasn't got a clue what has transpired and the work involved to keep areas open. I don't think the younger generation has the commitment and dedication (I could be wrong but I doubt it) for volunteering and fighting the fight that will be necessary from this day forward.

My rant for the day. Bash away but please get involved and realize what is at stake.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the more you close areas the more you over crowd the remaining ones ...
Which in turn provides more reason and evidence to close the rest ....
This is a tough strategy to fight , no question.

My guess is they will be watching closely to see the pushback & and reaction of changing the rules late in the game . They will push hard & fast in more areas ,if this goes through with minimal resistance .

It would be helpful to have some input from someone who is close to the negotiations , to explain the who/ what / where of events unfolded ....
It appears they changed things up very late in the process ?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will be trying to push through a park all the way up to kananaskis and Banff
You already can't atv in either one....are you talking about east of the existing ones? But yes they want it all though.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all ties in with the Y2Y concept. A search around Wateron shows how much land the Nature Conservatory owns and/or controls (did you know that this is as big or bigger than Waterton??). This is just another building block to "the dream". If an NDP government gets elected in BC, look out for closures on the western side of the Divide (it has started with Akamin/Kishanina). Back before the Liberals were elected, big closures were very close to being signed; from the US border right up to the Elk Lakes Provincial Park that borders on K-country was another proposed "park or closure".

The younger generation better get involved and get their ducks in a row because the previous "fighters" are tired and wore out. Join clubs (numbers help our cause), go to meetings (one has to be active and involved and not just a number), and fight the fight and not just sit on social media and be keyboard jockeys. The younger generation hasn't got a clue what has transpired and the work involved to keep areas open. I don't think the younger generation has the commitment and dedication (I could be wrong but I doubt it) for volunteering and fighting the fight that will be necessary from this day forward.

My rant for the day. Bash away but please get involved and realize what is at stake.

Darned shame. We used to ride the Akamina and that was taken away quite some time ago. We still ride over the continental divide into the flathead but that is only allowed in winter and soon not allowed. This battle has been going on for years. Where has every one been? The snowmobile club folded years ago due to lack of participation. People want to ride free of trail passes. This is a real life lesson now.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You already can't atv in either one....are you talking about east of the existing ones? But yes they want it all though.

The Y2Y friends of the NDP will get them to try and make it all park from Waterton to the south end of Banff and Kan

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You are a wise "old dog". Ive been trying to get the Fording Pass guys to get involved and keep the Fording Pass area

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This change will affect, snowmobiles, OHV'S, horses, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, camping...

Folks join clubs asap, get involved, and think of all user groups as a whole.

If we don't group-up, then we "could" get pushed out of many more areas.

I wished I wasn't so busy working from M too F as I'd get involved very fast.

Long days take the wind out of my sails after shift,,, 16 hr run today.

Lem.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please go to the mud pit re the new AOHVA castle thread. Guidelines oh how and who to write letters to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom