Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has rode in the castle mountain area and what its like
Is there a groomed trail and cabin or what the deal is
Was planning on heading down on Saturday Jan 5
Any input is much appreciated

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a good area, but there is no cabin and the trail is not groomed, but it is a very short ride in.

You stage accross the road from the ski hill parking lot in the designated area, and then you head down the road past the hostel, over the bridge and follow the trail. You will get to a couple 'Y's in the road. The closet play area is if you keep hanging a right (there will be 2 of them) and it is pretty good area. If you go right at the first Y and a left at the second Y, you will go over the divide into BC and there is some good terrain back there too. If you go left at the first Y the play ares are a lot further away, but don't get as much traffic.

Be careful in this area, especially on the BC side. There are some big hills over there with some very large cornices above that you may not be able to see if it is socked in. I was with a guy a few years back and we were playing on what looked to be an innocent hill and the entire thing came down and buried him. We got him out and everything turned out fine, but it was a wake up call!

Also on your way out at the end of the day, watch for the locals walking up and down the trail. We always slow right down and wave. I'm sure it goes a long way in keeping everybody friends!

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
Ride this area lots. Lots of traffic over the holidays. The trail just keeps getting worse as the year goes on. A groomer is as common as a Sasquatch in this area. Some people report seeing one, but no one believes them. It would be nice to have some fresh snow. There's a good base, but still kinda thin.

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
Last week conditions were very good. A couple feet of fresh snow. Today only a foot of fresh on top of a hard layer. Stuff was sliding very easily. We set off several little sluffs. We stayed off all the big stuff. It must have rained or warmed up enough to get a nasty hard layer that is not bonding yet. Still nice snow in the trees.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we got out to castle on saturday,, great day got nice and soft creeks are starting a bit.... god old spring time got us into some great spots ... some vid to come

getting ready to send it
joelcornice.jpg
climb went sideways lol all good Corey was SAFE!! sled too
coreytree.jpg
tight trees
castle2.jpg

castle.jpg

castle5.jpg

castle3.jpg

one more drop
drop.jpg

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's an unusual place for Cory......:ThumbsupMsn:

it was late in the day and i lost my mojo, just didn't have it in me to get up that last hill...
i'm really just glad my sled didn't come down on the tree, becasue it was close!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
it was late in the day and i lost my mojo, just didn't have it in me to get up that last hill...
i'm really just glad my sled didn't come down on the tree, becasue it was close!!

I really wish someone else's sled hadn't of come down on a tree either......3 months for some of the parts??????? That is ridiculous BRP!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at doing a day ride to Castle tomorrow. How's the road in or any reports from recent riding? Thanks.

Top Bottom