Can they catch up ?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the new xm t3 174 is the sled to beat. Stock to stock the other big 3 aren't even in the same race. Also a 4 yr warranty. I'm not sure that with 10 grand in aftermarket goodies you could make the competitors sleds comparable. At minimum cat. Polaris and yamy will need a 174" track but with only 15" wide they still will lack a foot print. I can't wait for the future to see what happens next to sleds.

Last edited:

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the new xm t3 174 is the sled to beat. Stock to stock the other big 3 aren't even in the same race. Also a 4 yr warranty. I'm not sure that with 10 grand in aftermarket goodies you could make the competitors sleds comparable. At minimum cat. Polaris and yamy will need a 174" track but with only 15" wide they still will lack a foot print. Cat wait for the future to see what happens next to sleds.

You might be reaching pretty far for that doolaid on that statement, but stock for stock no question that 174 is gonna work over the compeditors. Keep in mind yammy has the turbo snowcheck option.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might be reaching pretty far for that doolaid on that statement, but stock for stock no question that 174 is gonna work over the compeditors. Keep in mind yammy has the turbo snowcheck option.

But way more cash difference and not stock, even tho its a factory kit persay

sent while I should be drinking tea's

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo should be handing out free tylenol 3 and hankies for the other 3 sled owners.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other brands have some serious catching up to do, I guarantee that somewhere in some board room there are a lot of very upset VP’s. Ski-Doo went and raised the bar and the other 3 didn’t really do much, now there will be a push to catch up, and Arctic Cat and Polaris should be able to produce something for the next season, Polaris is on a weight reduction path with composite materials who knows maybe they will push forward with the use of more carbon fibre. Arctic Cat should have a new power plant in the works. I honestly think next year(2016) sleds are going to be setting the bar again.
I predict that all next season on snowandmud we will hear that skidoo needs more power to turn that track, then in 2016 they will have more power. As far as the other brands, they now have no choice but to play catch up, maybe one of them will actually set the bar next season, as much as I like Doo, this competition is good for all brands.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it is a great boost for the other manufactures. Polaris needs a stronger power plant and some track options. The power plant is in the works and the track is easy... 2016 Pro will be there.

As for now, the price points aren't the same so that makes up for the differences.

You can get a 163 Pro, stretch it to 174 and get the fix kit to match the factory pricing and engine performance of the ski-doo... So stock for stock different, but also the price points are 3-4k difference

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your right. The doolaid took over a bit. And I'm a Doo laid rookie. 2 seasons only. Rode boosted yami for 6 yrs. but I bleed green. Love cats. Rode cats since I was born. My point was the whole chassis. Boondocking on a xm 174 that handles like 154 is going to be sweet. Its the whole deal. A highmark sled that can shred in the trees also. I can't wait to see what the others doo

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
So the new xm t3 174 is the sled to beat. Stock to stock the other big 3 aren't even in the same race. Also a 4 yr warranty. I'm not sure that with 10 grand in aftermarket goodies you could make the competitors sleds comparable. At minimum cat. Polaris and yamy will need a 174" track but with only 15" wide they still will lack a foot print. I can't wait for the future to see what happens next to sleds.
No question they raised the bar. For the money no other stock sled will compare.
If Poo and Cat offer a similar track package next season then they are back in it. Sounds like the new Poo 800 is in the 160 HP mark so time will tell.
We will have a converted Rush running around next season so will see how it stands up.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

geo

Reaction score
Depends on the "race" doesn't it. See that's the thing about "racing". First you need someone who wants to race your race. Then you need rules, classes, judges, etc. Lots of different kinds of "racing" too but maybe not the race you want to race and that may be because you can't win that race but it's still a race, right?

If your just out snowmobiling you will always have to wait. It's good manners. But they will always "catch up" and maybe someday you will need to "catch up".

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Terry from T&T can clear up the confusion? Looks to me its an easy retrofit for Cat to offer a kit?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no doubt Cat left their mountain sleds pretty much like the 14's....the mfg's can't have big changes every year......but Cat likes to come out with a teaser at HayDays...maybe it will be something that will benefit the western riders

They (Cat) focused this year on rounding out the selection of their smaller mil engines in more platforms. The Eastern guys seem very happy as they now have way more choices for their trail and lake racing sleds.

2015, in the mountain segment....Doo has set the bar with a 174x3".....it's exciting....not listening to you Doo freaks giggling and high fiving:blah::blabla:....that gets old real quick....lol......I find it exciting because this will force manufacturers of the Yammies, the Cats & the Poos that if they want to be part of the future mountain sled market, they need to go big or go home.....:beer::beer:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at snowcheck pricing they're all pretty much the same. Cats and Poos seem to have better mid season blow out pricing.

If... and it's a big if, the new Polaris motor lasts the 2016 Pro will be pretty deadly. I think Doo will be offering up some more power in 2016 as well though.

Top Bottom