13 xm and t3 both work over G4

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like some G4's are blowing belts and others not, and some bulkheads fail and others not, I wonder if some G4's rip and others not?? I rode one and was expecting way more. Got back on my AXYS and figured I would kill that G4, at least up to half of full speed. The G4 did feel like it continued to pick up speed where my AXYS starts to fall off but usually by then we are going way too fast for the type of riding we do.

This is not knocking the G4 but just an observation. For our type of riding it may be better to gear down that sled even more to get into that power earlier.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like some G4's are blowing belts and others not, and some bulkheads fail and others not, I wonder if some G4's rip and others not?? I rode one and was expecting way more. Got back on my AXYS and figured I would kill that G4, at least up to half of full speed. The G4 did feel like it continued to pick up speed where my AXYS starts to fall off but usually by then we are going way too fast for the type of riding we do.

This is not knocking the G4 but just an observation. For our type of riding it may be better to gear down that sled even more to get into that power earlier.

I would think that the G4's with the clutch heating issues are obviously not as efficient power transfer as the machines with cooler running clutches.
Hot clutches = Lost power to track!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
WOW.... some seriously sensitive people on this thread.
3d1f0a0a2c46079b289bdcedfa79a515.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that the G4's with the clutch heating issues are obviously not as efficient power transfer as the machines with cooler running clutches.
Hot clutches = Lost power to track!

You think ?? Haha
The clutching is perfect if you listen to some experts.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to add something that is actually related to this post since everyone is busy going off on 6 different tangents but here goes:
Rode the sh$t out of my 850 all weekend in waist deep pow in Revy and Golden and I have to say the accounts of any XM chassis outperforming an 850 is either complete B.S or something is very wrong with those 850's. Fact: my 165g4 is bone stock other than a baker coupled coilover set up, pretty standard for doo's inept T3 set up. It's just coming off break in and there is no naturally aspirated stock machine that can even begin to compare to these things. I was going places that guys half my size on XM's, Axis and new cats couldn't get to. This sled impresses me more and more every time I ride it. Is there room for improvement, hell yeah, the clutches do run hot and I had a belt start to delam at 500k but only after running it to the bar for a good 45mins straight in pow over the hood and I'm sure if I continue to hit rocks and trees like I do i may eventually have a bulkhead fail, but that will be my own stupid fault. Not a doo salesman by any means, have owned them all and wrecked them all but until somebody else really steps up the G4 will continue to dominate the mountain segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I hate to be the one to add something that is actually related to this post since everyone is busy going off on 6 different tangents but here goes:
Rode the sh$t out of my 850 all weekend in waist deep pow in Revy and Golden and I have to say the accounts of any XM chassis outperforming an 850 is either complete B.S or something is very wrong with those 850's. Fact: my 165g4 is bone stock other than a baker coupled coilover set up, pretty standard for doo's inept T3 set up. It's just coming off break in and there is no naturally aspirated stock machine that can even begin to compare to these things. I was going places that guys half my size on XM's, Axis and new cats couldn't get to. This sled impresses me more and more every time I ride it. Is there room for improvement, hell yeah, the clutches do run hot and I had a belt start to delam at 500k but only after running it to the bar for a good 45mins straight in pow over the hood and I'm sure if I continue to hit rocks and trees like I do i may eventually have a bulkhead fail, but that will be my own stupid fault. Not a doo salesman by any means, have owned them all and wrecked them all but until somebody else really steps up the G4 will continue to dominate the mountain segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's so good, order you up an 18. Major improvements I've heard. The term "fill yer boots" comes to mind. C'ya!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back home finnally after a great week of snow and sore stiff muscles..

Last few days we seen g4s work well, seams there is deffinally room in clutching for improvement, (need more pin weight) some in suspension, (ski lift)give it time and they will have defined it, last day we ran out of fuel on a couple where the bigger tanks never..

some have belt problems, other don't, one machine third belt still in break in.. Go figure

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I ride a 15 174 and my wife got a 850 165 3" this year. I finally rode it last week for the first time. The lines and side hill lines I could do were no better than my 174 but I could do them with half the effort. Plus the biggest thing I noticed was how fast the power was there. It was instant when you got on the gas. Snow was waist deep fluff with good base. I was going to check a 175 but decided my cabin probably could use a proper foundation. Maybe 2019 for me.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well Fred, I agree with you. Some of the G4s are dialed and some are not with regards to clutches and belts. That is as far as I will go with agreement.

I am lucky in that we have two that are great. There is no comparison, in where my G4 goes and how easy it gets there, with my T3 174. The torque and stiffness of the track make the difference along with the throttle response (gearing). The G4 is a beast in the deep and can float around the trees effortlessly. When the hammer is put to the bar, the sled jumps and goes, whereas, the T3 with the softer track generally just dug a trench and didn't have the torque to get up on the snow as easy.

I won't be going back to an XM even tho' I had a blast on them. I don't compare one brand of sled to another but prefer to compare the improvements that BRP keeps coming out with year after year. The G4 is head and shoulders above the '08 XP and the Summit line will just continue to get better as will the other brands. Competition is a great motivator and we are lucky to riding in this time with all the great ideas and performance that is floating around.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last day Doug we had a nice pull, went up so far and had to side hill left side as far as you could take it.. I took G4 up first pass went up till I could not any more and went left for a long ways, right ski fairly high in air and just went, came down and jumped on 13xm163 and did same line.. Almost exact same line but a few feet on high side all the way up

after that we checked G4 out a bit closer and found his rear skid in two position and raised it to five, also dropped clickers to 0ne from two, and sucked limiter up one hole.. Did the line again and did a few feet on top of xm line.. Ya it was better, but still lacking some I had thought.. G4 attack angle is very aggressive in comparison to xm

all done in chest deep heavy snow

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the xm and 850 back to back and 850 flat out pulled harder and had more track speed faster and kept it longer. If your 850 won't out pull a xm i would be putting tje stock exhaust back on it or figure out what you ****ed up with the clutching.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the xm and 850 back to back and 850 flat out pulled harder and had more track speed faster and kept it longer. If your 850 won't out pull a xm i would be putting tje stock exhaust back on it or figure out what you ****ed up with the clutching.
Yeah... but have you ridden one of Fred's set up XM's?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom