Can I sled the Iron Horse? (conditions)

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gettign desparate. Only a few more days off and no riding. Does anyone know if the Iron Horse is rideable? I usually stage at Heinsburg, but am willing to travel.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sucks our lake lot is 2 km from the burg, heading out there for newyears no snow sucks.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no chancy Mr Whalen, have to take up fishing or poaching

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty Skimpy sledding towards St. Paul. Tree'd section of the trail could be rideable, but open areas, you'll be looking for the snow blown in the ditches. The old section, Heinsberg to Elk Point should be fair. Just got about another 2 inches of light stuff. Small lakes have up to 20" of ice and fair snowcover. Bigger lakes in the area with some water movement could still have 6" or less (eg. recent Wolf Lake report) in places: be careful.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was by the trail today there is gravel showing bigtime, I havent even thought of starting mine yet..

rpenno

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Iron Horse Trail conditions are like around Smoky Lake? Is the trail Ridable?

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good, Bad, Ugly.
Tough call: There is good pack in some treed/sheltered areas, poor/mediocre stretches with some scratching going on, and a bit of ugly open stretches where the wind took it off as it hit the ground (can be partly avoided by going slowly on the edges). Info from friends that rode last weekend.
Can't brag about it, but it's a ride & we're all doing the snow dance every day.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not rideable the snow here has not been a wet snow only dry particles that have basically blown away tons of gravel showing. I would say by far the fields are better for what they have and thats not great either.

As stated by a earlier post about the good base WELL there is no base

Top Bottom