Can-am Outlander 500, wobbles at 45 kph

sofa

Reaction score
First new quad I have owned is a BRP Outlander 500. Its OK going slow but when I travel at about 35 to 45 KPH the handlebar shakes (noticeably) as if the front rims were bent. It is irritating and not much fun to ride at speed.

I jacked the front up and set a sledgehammer parallel to the tires to see how much the tires deviate when rotating and its a good 1/4 inch on both tires. They don't run true, the rubber is slightly bulged. But there is no way to know if the tires are causing the shimmy.

Is this common on Atvs? What do you guys think, should I take it back to the dealer?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Sofa: Sounds Like The Tires Are Either Not Seated On The Rims Properly And The Bead Is Crooked And This Is Giving You Your Wobble, Or The Tires Themselves Have Seperated.... I Would Take Back To Dealer For Warranty. Shouldn't Take Them Too Long. Keep Us In Touch........ Good Luck;)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same Quad and have NO vibs. Recommend take back to dealer also. Dont try doing anything in case you damage rim. probally time for your 10 hr check anyways.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Is the wobble in the handle bars or in the seat? determine if it's the front or back. Does it make a difference in 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definetly not normal for an ATV.

If the tire beads have not been seated the tires may not run true. Where is the slight bulge in the tire (sidewall, tread, or bead area)?

When you did the rotation test was the tire/machine on the ground or was the tire suspended? Try the same test but check the edge of the wheel; Is the wheel running true?

Relative to each other, how is the vibration under hard acceleration? Under hard braking? While cruising?

Is there mud built on the inside of the wheel?

Are the lug nuts all tight?

Likely a warranty problem, but also could be a bent wheel or bent suspension component (lower control arms are a weak point).

sofa

Reaction score
I feel the shake strongly in the handlebars, and weakly in the seat. The machine is in 2 WD, the wheels are clean and installed for the proper tire rotation. The 1/4 inch buldge is only on the sidewall of both front tires, the rims are true. I had increased the tire pressure to 10 psi but it had no effect.

The tires look like they are beeded fine, and I have seen truck tires that have a slight bulge in them so that may be normal.

I am planning to take the machine to the dealer for its 10 hour oil change. I'll let you know what they find. I have an old 84 suzuki 250 that really has a bent rim 1.5 deviation on one front wheel and its less shaky at these speeds.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 400 outy wobbles a bit at higher speeds 50-80kmh on gravel roads or pavement but I'm pretty sure it's because the tires aren't made for driving on road. It's fine off road .

sofa

Reaction score
Update:

I took it back to the dealer for the 10 hour service, they suspected mud in the wheels as well, but there was none. It took them a bit but finally they narrowed it down to the front end wheel alignment.

The quad runs smooth now, like it should.

Top Bottom