Can-Am 500 XT Suspension Tuning

Mill Philler

Reaction score
I thought I would pass on this tuning observation from my 500 outy.

When I bought my 2010 Outlander used with 160km on it, the rear suspension was set up to the highest, hardest position. I lowered it one notch before riding for the first time. Although the ride and handling seemed pretty good to me; I had some back pain after riding on back to back days.

On Sunday I lowered the suspension setting two more notches to the second softest setting. What a differance in ride. Much smoother, much easier on the rider and almost as important, the front strutts reacted much better. The m-stutt knock sound disapeared and the whole machine was much smoother jumping and through the swoops. I did notice that I gave up a tiny amount of lateral stability, but overall the handling was much improved. I am 185 lbs and ride with medium aggression.

Every time I ride, I am more and more amazed with this small cube XT. It doesnt give up much to stock 800 outys and renegades. Another inch of tire would be nice, but then again that might start to show the deficiencies of the small motor.

Top Bottom