Can a sport quad handle the trails?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy trails... Maybe, I havne't encountered actual mud holes. Mainly just surface mud, ruts, hills, whoops, sand, some shallow water crossings, cut lines. That kind of riding is more my thing. But as stated before, if you are buying an IRS to ride with 4x4s looking for mud I think you would be dissapointed, the extra ground clearance isn't enough to make it through much mud or skeg.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy trails... Maybe, I havne't encountered actual mud holes. Mainly just surface mud, ruts, hills, whoops, sand, some shallow water crossings, cut lines. That kind of riding is more my thing. But as stated before, if you are buying an IRS to ride with 4x4s looking for mud I think you would be dissapointed, the extra ground clearance isn't enough to make it through much mud or skeg.

I spent a lot of time getting stuck in the mud when I was growing up, and the long washes necessary to clean up afterwards, and that part of it doesn't really appeal to me anymore. I just hope I can stay out the mud for the most part and have a good time. From what I gather the IRS is supposed to have a better ride than SRA, and the extra clearance won't hurt. I'm not looking to set any records so I think for me the advantages will outweigh the disadvantages.

I had a CRF450 a few years ago, and supposedly these 525's will give them a run for their money with the right rider. sounds like fun.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would go for the 525 outlaw thats what your talkin about right... It looks like a nice fast trail quad.... more suted for bush trails then your regular old 450r or what ever. If you dont wanna play in the mud as much im sure they would be realy fun machines.

insaneZ400shane

Reaction score
just look to the gncc in the states.....sport quads are it. but im no hardcore "mudder" either.
450r killer on the trails stock
ltr450 killer, just need ltz400 hubs to narrow it a bit
400ex killer, needs +1 to +2 arms better front shocks
z400 killer, needs +1 to +2 arms and beefier axle better front shocks, i got ltr450 on mine
yfz killer if your a pro or a good mechanic it tends to need to be wound out a lot
raptor needs arms and needs to be lowered for more stability tons of power
ds450xc killer stock bike
polaris, ho hum, killer on straitaways
how i ride and i usually go to the red deer creek areas is that i ride around for a bit and pick out a good route then thats my "race course" and i just practise going faster and faster, its a blast. i run 23" xcts front and 22 bearclaws back, but will be switching to 22 knarly xc's once my bike is built. sport bikes are not meant to be going through muskeg and crap, a crossover like a wolverine, or scrambler, or if you have 10g in your back pocket the renegades 500 or 800 would be good for a bit of both worlds. recycle, buy used, lots of good buys on kijijii.

Landrew

Reaction score
Let me know how those 22" knarly 's work out. I have 22" Bearclaws on the back of my 04 KFX400 and I they climb up anything but are a little bumpy and heavy. Problem is they probably wont wear out for a 2 or 3 years as I normally ride a YZ450F bike.

Do the 23" xcts fronts help with clearance and re-balancing the machine after adding 2" bigger rear tires?

I was quite surprised how well a sport quad goes through lightly muddy trails and climbs. I have a (-1 front and +2 rear) sprocket to climb and combat the ratio of bigger rear tires. I went up some steep slow climbs that a grizz 550 in diff lock had to try twice. Very capable machine

Any tips on the LTZ/KFX 400's to work better on the trails? Power, reliability?

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want a quad that will push and not want to steer in the corners buy a 700xx if not then dont. the xx is fast once you get it going but you wont like the way it will handle compared to others.

insaneZ400shane

Reaction score
yeah im changing my gearing too, was going to run a 13/42 but dont want to be b ouncing off the rev limiter all the time, so im just going 13/40 hope to have much better low end. it is like "re-balancing" the bike with the 23 up front, has way better turning with them, they have some sidewall grip, and more clearance. im getting some +1 arms and hope that they will help with stability as well, if i had the money i would get some 4-1 offset wheels, but maybe nxt yr. hey hey a kfx, we're like brothers lol. im extending the swingarm 1.25 and getting a better axle x33pin durablue. im not sure if i can afford the new tires now but hopefully, or maybe mid season. im getting a tire machine so that i can do my own tires. would have loved dto put in a 440bbk/eddy but will have to be happy with stock this yr. i have some small engine mods like hotcams, drze kit. i would love to get a better linkage but never have money when i see them on sale, they go like hotcakes. nxt yr im for sure getting the linkage with a revalve job to my rear shock but at 240lbs the shock will be fine this year. got a used set of ltr450 shocks to go with the new arms so my front end suspension should be good to go.

Top Bottom