Can a sport quad handle the trails?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an IRS Outlaw cause I want a sport quad not a utility. All the boys seem to have utility machines, question is will I be able to get down the trails? I don't mind working a little harder but I don't want to be on the back end of a rope the whole time.

Can you get down most trails in AB on a sport machine?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It mostly depends on the rider. I've seen the best and craziest riders on the wrong end of a winch cable many many times trying to follow the big bore mudders. It can be done but be prepared to get real muddy and work a little harder than the rest of your group. On the flip side when you get to them rolling dry hills ALL the utility riding guy's are jealous of your machine. :d

bsan1827

Reaction score
I've ridden with sport quads a couple times and thay seem to do okay, you just might have to use a bypass around the big mud

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We went last year with a couple of sport quads and a dirt bike, never again. what a pain. We were always waiting or helping, that is not our idea of trail riding. If the trails are dry fine, but we all know there are mud holes out there. Cadomin area would be your best bet because of the rocky terrain. But stay off the skeg trail to Ruby Falls.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It mostly depends on the rider. I've seen the best and craziest riders on the wrong end of a winch cable many many times trying to follow the big bore mudders. It can be done but be prepared to get real muddy and work a little harder than the rest of your group. On the flip side when you get to them rolling dry hills ALL the utility riding guy's are jealous of your machine. :d

X2...My buddy moe could take his 300ex ANYWHERE our 4x4's could go and often further but he is a hell of a rider, nice thing about the sports is the weight, nice and light. I sometimes run my 1986 yamaha moto-4. when I get to the trail head guys look at me like I've been sniffing glue but their attitude quickly changes when their 700lb machine is burried and I float by just feathering the throttle. it weighs probably 300lb and has balloon tires, even when I do get stuck I can usually pick up the rear end, move it over, walk beside it and feather the throttle out.....don't think I've ever had to winch it. Mind you even on the big 4x4's rider capability/skill plays a big part...lotta guys have big high power machines and still burry them often. Now as for the bikes...unless you are an expert they are usually difficult.

Bogger

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a CRF450 for a couple years and I got out at Waiprous, Nordegg, and Brule a little bit. I am absolutely fine with making my way around a few pits, and getting muddy will just be part of the fun.

Good to hear that most of you think it can be done. I will certainly need to get some seat time to work on my skills but as long as all the trails dont have a snorkel deep mud pit around the first corner I think ill be ok.

I grew up riding an ATC 200 around the farm ( 3 wheeler, then the 200 4 wheeler ) in manitoba, and the mud there is unreal. We would make the 2wd getter done though! lol

Thanks for the input guys!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just depends on your riding group , some are patient , some not so much , bikes thou and utilities don't match , good bike rider way to fast , poor bike rider way to slow and constantly having grief , but its what ever floats your boat , can always find a good group eventually:beer:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like some have said it's all about the skill level of the rider and what type of group your with....we go out with bikes, sport quads and 4 x 4's but the bikes and sport quads riders are racers....I keep having to beat them up and tell them there not on a race track....

Decide the type of riding you like to do....some of the newer 4 x 4's are pretty fast but can still handle the mud holes....It's definatly more work to take a sport quad where 4x4 are running.....

I like my 4x4 on trails and the sport quad in the sand and race track....

JJ69

Reaction score
i bought a 2008 honda trx00XX. it is amazing on the trails. im usually waiting on 4x4s to catch up. cant stop the thing with decent tires and lots of clearance. you've got enough power to get through anything. i'd recommend the 700xx in a second.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2008 honda trx00XX. it is amazing on the trails. im usually waiting on 4x4s to catch up. cant stop the thing with decent tires and lots of clearance. you've got enough power to get through anything. i'd recommend the 700xx in a second.

That's good to hear! From what I've read those things have tons of power.

JJ69

Reaction score
i dropped down 1 tooth on my front sprocket and its insane. 4th gear will get you through almost any amount of snow.

polarisftw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well in all honesty it depends on what type of mudding you're doing and also what you're riding. First off you gotta have pretty decent tires, and realize that you cant go in those big ruts that the big "grizzlys" go in because you will obviously get high centered. And also as others included is that it depends on the rider. I currently ride a 400ex 06 and I love it.:cool:

gl to you!:beer::beer:

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not try to sell you on Can-Am after my experience with them, however have you seen the Can-Am Renagade?? They have the "power, speed & looks" that you want, not sure about the weight though, plus they have the 4x4 to get you through the tough spots. If those are not to your liking then yes a 2wd will be the way to go.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not try to sell you on Can-Am after my experience with them, however have you seen the Can-Am Renagade?? They have the "power, speed & looks" that you want, not sure about the weight though, plus they have the 4x4 to get you through the tough spots. If those are not to your liking then yes a 2wd will be the way to go.

Yah those are savage, it's the $9k I don't like. I can get a same year Outlaw 525IRS for $6k. 700xx aren't on the used market yet, so I haven't seriously considered them either.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know i think you would be alot happier with a 750 brute something along them lines... maybe not but they go good.... not like a sports quad but will give emm a runn , and you will have 4x4 .... The only advantage to havin a 2 wheel drive quad i see is when your stuck they aint as heavy to push out but the 4x4s walk al over them in the skeg and mud ....... if you like dry trails wear you dont have any real obsatcals get the 2 wheeler...

AJW

Reaction score
I've had both the sport quad (LTR450) and the 4X4 (Honda Rancher 420). The sport quad is fast and fun to drive when the conditions are right but in my opinion you need to have a bunch of buddies with sport quads to make it fun.

We went to Athabasca area and there's nothing but mud and muskeg up there. The trail starts off nice and dry and then huge patches of mud with no way around. Of course all the buddies with the 4X4's are in heaven, but if you're the guy on the sport machine, it honestly truly sucks.

I've since sold both machines because the LTR was too much work to ride where we like to ride and the Rancher was just too slow. I'm now in the market for a big bore 4X4. They are fast, fun and you can go through just about anything (with the right tires).

The independant suspension on the Polaris might be ok for a bit but you'll still get stuck.

If you have to have a sport machine get some decent tires for it, they make a world of difference but I still found it annoying... I'd recommend Maxxis Razr2's (very aggressive and worked great) or even the 3/4" tread Mud-lite's on the rear.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sport quads have no problem on trails in vega, brule, bruderhiem and anywhere that has a sold base. I have a SRA sport quad and wouldn't trade it for anything including an IRS. They have more ground clearance but you aren't riding a sport quad to get pushed into ruts anyways. Part of the fun is keeping the wheels on the high part of the trail (beside the ruts) and an IRS isn't going to go where the guys on 4x4s want to go anyways. a 350lbs sport quat with a solid rear axel corners better, jumps easier, and handels the whoop sections better than an IRS. And for anyone who says a Renegade or a BF can hang with a sport quad is nuts. Put some whoops, a corner, a jump in their way and those guys are grabbin brake when we're steady on the throttle!

Top Bottom