Can a 2010 F150FX4 with 5.46 speed haul....

bsmi021

Reaction score
I need to first say something here folks, (5.46 spped haul) what is that? If you think you have a rear end ratio of 5.46 i feel you may be wrong, ( did not even use that low a gear in racing) as for the tow limit i would check the numbers again, i understand all the big3 keep upping the anti with towing but make sure it is not total COMBINED WEIGHT, this is quite different from total towing weight.
As for towing 11,000 lbs with a 1/2 ton pickup i would not feel great about that, i tow 12.000lbs with a 2500sd and it pulls great, but you need to think about 2 very big issues when towing;
1) the stopping ability, the lighter the truck capacity the smaller the brakes, and i do not just mean the pads, it is a system!
2) the life of the transmission, look above
And since you are new to this anyone who is towing should keep 1 very important motto to heart, what the manufacturer says is the maximum towing limit, go %10 below that number to give yourself room for error.
Happy Camping:)

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to first say something here folks, (5.46 spped haul) what is that?

That would be a 5.4 L 6 speed auto

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 GMC CC 3/4 6.0L with 3.73's is heads and tails over my last 07 1/2 ton. I pull a small 19' TT thats around #3200 dry and full of water, gear, quad it fly's. When its nice and calm the mpg's are'nt too bad but if there's a wind it gets thirsty.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
This is NOT TRUE in BC. In BC, they will look at your door jam and proceed from there.

Ok first off, talking about Alberta (thats where I live), but secondly a half ton without commercial plates isnt stopping at the scales, so when are they looking at the door jamb?

And what I was refferring to was the fact that some of the GVW ratings on 1/2 tons actually exceed the weight capacity of the factory tires, so not sure what isnt true...

Do the cops or scale police in BC ever check weights on a non-commercial vehicle? I dont know, but am curious now because of your response.

Jake

Reaction score
I have a 2010 F150 FX4 Supercab with the max tow (7700 GVW). It has the luxury package also that adds to the weight of the truck. I weighed it the second day I had it with a full tank of fuel and the driver, the scaled weight is 5938 lbs.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the cops or scale police in BC ever check weights on a non-commercial vehicle? I dont know, but am curious now because of your response.

I think it's rare to hear them pulling over travel trailers but it sure is common to hear them pulling over sledders and ticket based on weight, excess length on a deck, missing lights, trailer brakes, ....

They go by the door jam on weight.

You don't even have to be on the road. I had a friend come out of a restaurant to see an officer by his truck waiting to give him a ticket for excess overhang on a deck.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't do it i have a ford f250 supercab 4x4 with a 5.4 373 rear 3inch exhaust cold air intake pull a 27 foot trailer fully loaded 8000 lbs it works hard on the hills i would be a little leery to go to BC and have to go 70kms up some of the long grades there is no way that truck can pull over 10000 lbs SAFE a 353 will blow up transmissions

I agree - I have a similar truck to papajake and the 5.4L can't handle 10000 lbs going up hills. I had a F150 and realistically I would limit the truck to 6500lbs. Anything more and I would worry ( why worry when your on holidays ). I also agree with Longhorn - if you are towing on very short trips on pavement (double lane highways) on flat terrian and limit your speed to 90 km/hr -you may be okay. Pulling that wieght on the Forest Trunk Road or BC logging roads ( i.e gravel with steep hills) - go with a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 L or better.

Cheers

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real question is: can an F-150 haul a sled deck with 2 Yamaha mountain sleds?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok first off, talking about Alberta (thats where I live), but secondly a half ton without commercial plates isnt stopping at the scales, so when are they looking at the door jamb?

And what I was refferring to was the fact that some of the GVW ratings on 1/2 tons actually exceed the weight capacity of the factory tires, so not sure what isnt true...

I only brought up the BC thing as the original poster is in Vancouver. The cops out by Golden make a lot of revenue by catching people who are towing over their load. They run check stops occasionally, usually in the winter to catch dudes with a 1/2 ton and a deck I would imagine. So I guess really, the odds are low that you would get stopped and bugged, but if it happened, it could really sour a guys trip.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
What's the lenght of the bumper pull you're looking at? Mine is a 31' 2005 Dutchman with rear quad bunks and couch/table slide out. I use to pull it with a '04 quad cab 2wd short box that had Hemi power with 3:73 gearing. Not the truck for the job on many levels. The #'s said it could do it but there are other factors envolved that they don't consider. Wheel base, tire roll, road conditions, and the biggest factor of all...driving habits. I truck for a living so I've dealt with some serious weight in all conditions. This 1/2 ton was NOT the truck the dealer said it was. I was not comfortable driving it at all. I put airbags on it and loaded my trailer many different ways to try and stablize it the best I could. Nothing really seemed to work. I loved the truck but it had to go so I ordered my dually. This for me was the only way to go for what I had planned later on. It's an '06 quad cab long box 4x4 with 3:73 gearing. This truck pulls like a dream. Better foot print, heavier, and built to pull. It was an unreal difference going to a dually. But this is just my experience with a little insite that might help you in your decision. I know driving a larger pickup around Vancouver/Victoria can be fun :d

Attachments

• 100_1167.jpg
    100_1167.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

van isle

Reaction score
The biggest + with a dually is being the same track width as the trailer. NO 1/2 ,3/4 or even SRW 1 ton will tow as nice because of that.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
geez guys tow what ever you want thats my opinion. i have a 03 f-150 7700 and you should see what i pull. i have a 27 foot travel 8000lb plus all my fuel and gear and my quad in the box. pulls fine stops fine just have to know what your doing i guess. i am not saying for every one to go out and over load there trucks but i am sure if you had a f 150 with max tow you would have no problem towing 10 000lbs.

kawiford

Reaction score
Im going to start a new forum website called www. howmuchcanmyhalftonpull.com anyone want to join?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
geez guys tow what ever you want thats my opinion. i have a 03 f-150 7700 and you should see what i pull. i have a 27 foot travel 8000lb plus all my fuel and gear and my quad in the box. pulls fine stops fine just have to know what your doing i guess. i am not saying for every one to go out and over load there trucks but i am sure if you had a f 150 with max tow you would have no problem towing 10 000lbs.

Based on spec #'s in this link, I bet you are overweight going down the highway on an 03 F150. 2003 Ford F150 Specifications

whickey

Reaction score
Maybe just me but i don't quad I only sled and I got to be honest when I am leaving town it usually is 6:30-7:00 at night the boys usually had some wabbly pops before they got in the truck from a long day at work. I am driving for 6-9 hours usually at 130-140kph before we get there and in all sorts of road conditions. I would not want to be pulling 7500-10,000 lbs with anything less then a 3/4 ton. Got to honest at 1:00am just pulling into revy I am sure I am not as awake as I could be and I want the stablitly/power/breaks a 3/4 ton/1 tons got. Not saying that the police would like it but lets just be honest that is the way it goes. I would not want to save $10,000 on a truck just because it could still pull 10,000. There is obously a big difference. Maybe it is different in the summer but the only thing I see differently is the speed going out there maybe a little higher. As for sled decks and 1/2 tons I think its best not to do that. I would not like the stability going through the mountains. Just my 2 cents.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my truck is most likly over loaded and i aint going to deny it. i was just proving a point, just cause someone cant go out and spend $70 000 on a new one ton dosen't meen they shouldnt be able to haul their stuff. my truck works hard on hills but on the highway its nothing to get it up to 120kmh and trust me i have to lock up the brakes at 120 cause some idiot stoped in the fast lane while crosing the highway. my point is if you are comfortable with and you know you truck can do it then do it. my 2 cents... oh and acording to my owners manual i am good for like a 8600lb trailer.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In that case, do us all a favour and stay in Alberta, and out of the mountains. We have enough idiots on the roads, we don't need one more.

Top Bottom