Can a 2010 F150FX4 with 5.46 speed haul....

Samsung3

Reaction score
It says towing capabilty is 11,300lbs. Im new to towing but Im assuming that trailer, gear, etc cannot exceed that #?

So if a trailer weighs 8000lbs and we take 1000lbs of gear we are within out limits?

Again, veery new to hauling and weights.

Thanks

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
It depends how fast you want to tow it, how quickly and safely you want to stop, and how long you want the truck to last. Personally I would recommend a 3/4 or a 1-ton for that kind of load. As to your question, you can exceed that number all you want, but give us some more information, what kind of towing, what kind of trailer, frequency, etc.

An F150 is not a pulling truck...

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 26 foot is 7400# dry, all loaded and 3/4 full of water I'm tipping the scales at just over 9000+lbs and I have no problem pulling it with my single wheel 1 ton. But I could not imagine doing it with a 150. What is your hitch weight good for? With that much trailer weight I would think you might be pegged? I too would suggest a 3/4 or 1 ton...IMO
:beer:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It says towing capabilty is 11,300lbs. Im new to towing but Im assuming that trailer, gear, etc cannot exceed that #?

So if a trailer weighs 8000lbs and we take 1000lbs of gear we are within out limits?

Again, veery new to hauling and weights.

Thanks

The simple answer is you can but you shouldn't.

Considering your new to towing and you would be pushing your vehicle limits to the max, your putting yourself in a position for allot of trouble.

Look at your rear tires, are they 4 ply or 6 ply? Then look at a 3/4 or one tonne, they are usually 10 ply. That trailer would bully around your light pickup to no end, imagine meeting a loaded semi in a corner, can you hang on? Considering your lack of towing experience there is a fair chance you could get blown off the road.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the heck of it I went on Fords website and looked up some information. If you have an 2010 F150 Supercab 4X4 with the 5.4 and 6 speed auto in it your towing capacity is 11,300 lbs IF you have the heavy duty payload package and max trailer towing package.

Now something to consider, if you have this vehicle your dry weight of the vehicle alone is 7200 lbs, and you have a max GVCW rating of 17000 lbs. That is dry weight, off the lot with no fuel in it and no accessorise and no passanges.

Now figure out much your passanges, fuel and gear weigh in the pickup? Usually you can add in an additional 1000 lbs without blinking an eye. Now your 8200 lbs, which means a max of 8800 lbs for the trailer.

Now your trailer is about 8000 lbs plus 1000 lbs of gear. But is that trailer weight dry? If so, how about the weight of the water you have in your holding tank, the weight of the propane, in your 1000 lbs of gear, does that take into consideration what you have in your fridge, your dishes in your cupboards?

The point is the weight adds up fast and factory ratings and specs can be very misleading.

Here is an interesting link I came across:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing I noticed your location says Vancouver.

If your heading out camping that means most likely your going to venture up the Coquihalla or Sea to Sky Highway. Some pretty serious hills there, you sure your up to it?

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would advise not using an F-150 for pulling that much weight on our hwy's. You may not have a problem but your truck will be maxxed out. Personally I would feel much safer in a 250 or 350. Which hwy's ya planning on draggin that trailer over?

van isle

Reaction score
For the heck of it I went on Fords website and looked up some information. If you have an 2010 F150 Supercab 4X4 with the 5.4 and 6 speed auto in it your towing capacity is 11,300 lbs IF you have the heavy duty payload package and max trailer towing package.

Now something to consider, if you have this vehicle your dry weight of the vehicle alone is 7200 lbs, and you have a max GVCW rating of 17000 lbs. That is dry weight, off the lot with no fuel in it and no accessorise and no passanges.

Now figure out much your passanges, fuel and gear weigh in the pickup? Usually you can add in an additional 1000 lbs without blinking an eye. Now your 8200 lbs, which means a max of 8800 lbs for the trailer.

Now your trailer is about 8000 lbs plus 1000 lbs of gear. But is that trailer weight dry? If so, how about the weight of the water you have in your holding tank, the weight of the propane, in your 1000 lbs of gear, does that take into consideration what you have in your fridge, your dishes in your cupboards?

The point is the weight adds up fast and factory ratings and specs can be very misleading.

Here is an interesting link I came across:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf

I'm not disagreeing with your idea but an f150 does not weigh 7200lbs dry that maybe it's max GVW it more likley weighs closer to 5600lbs curb. I have seen on fords website they do now offer the f150 with a max gvw 8200lbs and a curb weight of 5400lbs witch gives them as much payload capacity as most 3/4 tons. And I'm sure the salesmen at ford dealers will use this to no end tell them customer they can tow what ever you like.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Simple way to check how far out some of the factory ratings are is to look at what your tires are rated for on the F150. Not being a commercial vehicle, you technically dont have to follow the ratings as far as the law is concerned, but it is coming...

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with your idea but an f150 does not weigh 7200lbs dry that maybe it's max GVW it more likley weighs closer to 5600lbs curb. I have seen on fords website they do now offer the f150 with a max gvw 8200lbs and a curb weight of 5400lbs witch gives them as much payload capacity as most 3/4 tons. And I'm sure the salesmen at ford dealers will use this to no end tell them customer they can tow what ever you like.

That information came from Ford itself on the only F150 4x4 with a 5.4 litre rated to tow 11,300. Other F150's are probably lighter, but they arnt rated for that tow capacity.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO buy a 1 ton they ride the same as a 3/4. Or dame near anyways. I think you will not enjoy pulling that load with that truck. I would be white knuckled the whole way! Then once you get to where you are staying all you will be thinking about is the death trip home. I love my 1 ton and will NEVER go back.

I just bought my first trailer 2 months ago, so thought I would share what I've loaded in mine so far.
I was astonished at how much stuff you u need. water 10lbs/gallon,food,ice,axe,tools, BF hammer,FIRE WOOD,RV mat,clothes,shoes,boots,bedding,Water hose,sewer hose,water regulator,sewer chem,tent pegs,lawn chairs,bbq,5gallon propane tank,coleman gas lantern, Coleman gas stove, Coleman stand pipe with hose's , genset,blocking for leveling trailer,wheel chaks,cordless drill for screwing braces in and out, beer, pop,kids bikes,toys,dog,chain for dog, wife, girlfriend or both depending on how good a talker U are!
It really adds up fast...come to think of it, I need to go re-weigh my trailer next time!

van isle

Reaction score
That information came from Ford itself on the only F150 4x4 with a 5.4 litre rated to tow 11,300. Other F150's are probably lighter, but they arnt rated for that tow capacity.

I was not intending on getting into a pissing match with you. :realmad: I was saying since the sales guys get specs sheets from ford of canada like this they will tell costumers oh yeah sure you can do that.

Ford F-150 Trucks: Ford Canada

The heaviest truck i could find on the Canadian fords website is 6000lbs.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was not intending on getting into a pissing match with you. :realmad: I was saying since the sales guys get specs sheets from ford of canada like this they will tell costumers oh yeah sure you can do that.

Ford F-150 Trucks: Ford Canada

The heaviest truck i could find on the Canadian fords website is 6000lbs.
I am towing a 27 ft bumper pull, around 7500# loaded with my 04 F-150 with the 5.4 and the 3.73. It's rated for 9500# towing but very safe to say this is the heaviest trailer I am comfortable with on this truck and even with that said will be going to at least a 3/4 ton with my next truck. When I was trailer shopping the dealers wanted to load me up to within a few hundred pounds of the max rating... I know better been towing for a lot of years... and told them flat out that was great but they weren't the ones that had to stop that 9000# + trailer, or negotitate side winds, head winds and idiots with it in tow. Choose to go with the smaller more manageable trailer instead and will look for something a little bigger when I have the truck to tow it safely. Rule of thumb is if you have to try and convince yourself, or look for the answer to "can this truck tow it"... you probably already know the answer.... just my two cents, I cringe every time I see a guy going down the road with triple slide 30+ footer behind a half ton who can't even keep close to the speed limit on a downgrade and getting tossed all over the road in a sidewind. Or better yet the mini van with the 25 foot "super light"....

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't do it i have a ford f250 supercab 4x4 with a 5.4 373 rear 3inch exhaust cold air intake pull a 27 foot trailer fully loaded 8000 lbs it works hard on the hills i would be a little leery to go to BC and have to go 70kms up some of the long grades there is no way that truck can pull over 10000 lbs SAFE a 353 will blow up transmissions

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple way to check how far out some of the factory ratings are is to look at what your tires are rated for on the F150. Not being a commercial vehicle, you technically dont have to follow the ratings as far as the law is concerned, but it is coming...

This is NOT TRUE in BC. In BC, they will look at your door jam and proceed from there.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the f150 does not weigh 7200 lbs not even close give your head a shake. the max gvw is 7200 says right on my door. with 4 adults in the truck, full of fuel and towing my boat my truck only weighs in at 4800lbs or so. the new f150 with the tow package carries just as much or more than everyone elses 3/4 tonnes. but rides way better. and cheaper by a long shot. i had a 3/4 chev and went to the half ton ford for that exact reason. i hav pulled at the max gvcw from edmonton to nelson bc and back and had no issues what so ever pulled the trailer way nicer than my 3/4 ton did. and averaged about 12mpg.

i agree with the guys that lack of expierience may be an issue but the truck will handle it just as good as anybodys 3/4 ton gasser. jmo.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
17000-11300 would put the truck at 5700 leaving 1500lbs for payload. Add the hitch weight and the family and you are probably over the payload capacity with nothing else in the truck or trailer.

riffrraffing

Reaction score
the f150 does not weigh 7200 lbs not even close give your head a shake. the max gvw is 7200 says right on my door. with 4 adults in the truck, full of fuel and towing my boat my truck only weighs in at 4800lbs or so. the new f150 with the tow package carries just as much or more than everyone elses 3/4 tonnes. but rides way better. and cheaper by a long shot. i had a 3/4 chev and went to the half ton ford for that exact reason. i hav pulled at the max gvcw from edmonton to nelson bc and back and had no issues what so ever pulled the trailer way nicer than my 3/4 ton did. and averaged about 12mpg.

i agree with the guys that lack of expierience may be an issue but the truck will handle it just as good as anybodys 3/4 ton gasser. jmo.

Keep in mind that dry weight on a trailer is before they put accessories on. Before they install propane bottles, batteries, Air Conditioners, fridges, stoves ect...

These companies that build trailers will do everything that they can to legally advertise lower dry weights and hitch weights.

You are always better to be on the safe side. A heavier truck will always outperform a light truck. Never bring knife to a gun fight.

Top Bottom