Can a 2010 F150FX4 with 5.46 speed haul....

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry been there done that. put over 10 000km on that trailer this summer and not one lick of problems. you know instead of you guys ganging up on half ton owners why dont you go out a do some thing about all the minni vans, rangers, dakotas, tacomas, etc that are pulling like 25 foot trailers. you know driving tow truck never have we had to clean up a holiday trailer off the highway that was beeing pulled buy a half ton usualy its a 3\4 or 1 ton some guy that figures he drives a big truck and is invicable guesse what he wasen't.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my truck is most likly over loaded and i aint going to deny it. i was just proving a point, just cause someone cant go out and spend $70 000 on a new one ton dosen't meen they shouldnt be able to haul their stuff. my truck works hard on hills but on the highway its nothing to get it up to 120kmh and trust me i have to lock up the brakes at 120 cause some idiot stoped in the fast lane while crosing the highway. my point is if you are comfortable with and you know you truck can do it then do it. my 2 cents... oh and acording to my owners manual i am good for like a 8600lb trailer.

I fail to see the point you've proven because in your next post you discuss the fact that we should gang up on minivans and SUV's who are on the road towing beyond their capacity...kinda like other people. Overweight is overweight, on a Ford Ranger, a minivan or a 1/2 ton pick up. By your same standards of "if you are comfortable doing it then do it", someone could justify hauling a 39 ft 5th wheel toyhauler behind their Ford Ranger. You better believe that if someone said the same thing about hauling a 9000 lb trailer with their minivan that the same responses would be up. and we already have bagged on those people - https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f76/summer-drivers-schools-out-so-idiots-32540.html

I'm not making this ch!t up, earlier this summer a guy hauling a 25+ft travel trailer, with quad in his 1/2 ton truck passed us on top of a hill, on a blind corner, on a left turn lane (not even a passing spot). 3 seconds after he swerved erratically back into his own lane, another vehicle (motorcycle) came over the crest of the hill. If he had been moments later he would have killed the motorcyclist. The dick in the truck was out of control, overweight with the truck and trailer, and a fawkin hazard on the road. I'm out there on the highways too with my family, and I want to make it home alive, which is why I care so much about it.

8600 lb trailer would be the max. You have a quad and gear as well, trailer full of water, etc. Hit the scales on the next time out, I bet you will be surprised how much it weighs combined and you are likely over on the axle weight with quad and trailer on the tongue and combined weight rating (GCWR) of truck and trailer.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to be smart about it. passing like that is just stupid. what i am saying is have never been uncofortalbe towing my trailer. i feel safe, when in tow. last time i waighed i think i was 200lbs over and i was heading out for a long trip and had way more gear and water than normal. If vehicle has been rated at say 11 300lb towing then it has been enginered to tow that. that means power wise and brake wise (giving that trailer brakes are set correct) that vehicle should be able to safely tow it. i only posted on here cause its all one ton owners and such bagging on the little guys. and it aint fair.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and it aint fair.

Life isn't fair. If you want to haul weight, buy a truck that will do it. Why be on the limits, when you can be within an even safer margin? If you can afford such a badass trailer, you can afford an appropriate truck to pull it. If not, refer to the first sentence.

Fryzss

Reaction score
Have enjoyed this thread. My towing rig is a 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 5.3L auto trans with 3.73s and all the factory towing packages. I tow a 23' Pace snowmobile v nose trailer. My towing weight is 7,000 lbs. With 3 Can Am Outlanders and all of our other gear we add to camp for 1 to 2 weeks has the trailer total weight is about 6800 lbs. I changed out my instrument cluster to have a trans temp gage so I could monitor that, added a pair of leveling springs for insurance, and bought a programmer to kick up my shift points a bit.
Now towing this set up is about max for me since just about anywhere I go from Redding, CA that's worth going to is up hill. We go a lot to the Oregon Dunes so we have to pull the grade to Ashland which is over 5,000' and I can do it but but my speed varies from 45 to 55 mph. If I get caught behind a slow semi I don't have any reserve speed. I get around 16 mpg around town but towing this load I get about 10 to 11 mpg. I can't imagine nearly doubling the towing weight. My trailer has a 2 axle electric brakes as well.
I'm going to go and see what GM is letting you tow with a 1/2 ton now. The factory trans oil coolers are marginal at best so watch your trans temps.

Fryzss

Reaction score
I just wanted to add that the ambient air temp for my last trip was 110 deg F. You Canadian guys have pretty cool weather most of the year so that's not to much of a problem for you.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweetest setup ever. Who needs a pick-up when ya got this beast of a machine!!!

Attachments

• pics 090 resize.jpg
    pics 090 resize.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 56

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweetest setup ever. Who needs a pick-up when ya got this beast of a machine!!!

Love it! My grand parents used to haul a 25ft airstream with a caddy down to Arizona every winter. I think he used to claim stopping is for sissies!

Top Bottom