Calling all painters

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions,I bought a house and like any guy im more interested in getting the garage set up before anything else.the garage has plywood walls and ceiling that have never been painted my question is what type of paint covers well,I bought an electric sprayer and just need to get paint I cant move my stuff into the garage untill its painted or it will never get done.I want to paint it to brighten it up any help would be great thx.:confused:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get some decent primer and use industrial grade paint, for plywood walls I would use an oil base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with a gloss white on the ceiling to reflect more light downwards, I did that in my shop and it's a lot brighter in there.

Sent from my iPad

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input is primer really needed im trying to do this in one day but I do want to do a good job.
Get some decent primer and use industrial grade paint, for plywood walls I would use an oil base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I do scrape and re texture jobs I use Synko T.I.P.S. I do about 120 jobs a year with this and have to date not found a better product that covers as well. I too have painted my garage with this (one coat and done) it really covers. Wood being much darker than drywall you may have to give a second coat but it drys fast, and if your spraying don't forget to "back roll". This will leave a smoother more uniform Finnish...

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head to benjamin moore and buy a 5 gallon pail of super spec primer. They can tint it what ever color you like. You can thin it a little for spraying.

A lot of Benjamin Moore products are over priced, but this stuff is under 100.00 per pail and is the best I have used. Its well worth the couple extra dollars over the box store brands and is better than others that cost more.

If you do decide to get another brand you can judge the quality of the product by the weight of the can. You want the heaviest one possible. Keep in mind the more it weighs, the more solid content it has and will be harder to spray, requiring a bigger tip in your sprayer

What type of sprayer did you get?

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I do scrape and re texture jobs I use Synko T.I.P.S. I do about 120 jobs a year with this and have to date not found a better product that covers as well. I too have painted my garage with this (one coat and done) it really covers. Wood being much darker than drywall you may have to give a second coat but it drys fast, and if your spraying don't forget to "back roll". This will leave a smoother more uniform Finnish...

What Ron said!! Any stains that might be present kilz should do the trick to keep from bleeding through. A kitchen and bath semi gloss acrylic latex and clean up is a lot easier than using an oil base paint. My question is with the garage being all plywood I hope it isn't attached as that might not be approved due to fire codes. I have been wrong in the past but any place I have drywalled the attached wall to the house had to be 5/8's FG.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Synko T.I.P.S can be found at Consolidated Drywall for sure. Not sure if paint stores carry it.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info,I bought a cheap princess auto sprayer because i figure its disposable for the price i can buy three of these for the price of one good one.This thinking could and probably will bite me in the ass but after the garage I dont plan on doing any other painting.Its not a attached garage.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input is primer really needed im trying to do this in one day but I do want to do a good job.

oh ya. you need primer. and good primer. Don't cheep out on the primer. If not primed properly it will suck paint like a sponge.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First thing you should do is put that sprayer back in the box and return it, use that money to rent an airless from homedepot. (not kidding)

After you prime, which is a must, You can use a cheaper paint since its a garage. The primer will dry very fast if you use a sprayer. Its gonna take a lot of primer to coat that osb or plywood.

The primer is cheaper than paint and will save you a lot of money. You can get a self priming paint but you are way better off priming first.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree 100% with an airless, but disagree about a primer.

T.I.P.S is a great sealant, but if the osb looks fairly new or shiney side out, I would just hit it with a gloss or a semi gloss latex.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are right,Im gonna go with the airless sprayer and just pick up 5 gallons of latex semi gloss and go hard .thx all.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take possession tomorrow i will take before and after pictures.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What side of Edmonton ? Myself or one of my guys could mask and spray the primer in the am then top coated that evening and done. Saves you buying a sprayer. I've got lots of oil primer at the shop. Mustang Painting ltd. Andrew 780-695-8770

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the suggestion of a very good painter I went with two coats of a good primer and called it a day. Primer itself has some gloss and is tough as nails. No need for any top coat and garage looks great.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good call. Primer is all I ever use in garages. only problem with primer is you cant clean the walls like you can with paint.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Primer sounds like the winner,I never plan on washing walls anyways lol.I took posession yesterday,had a chance to meet the neighbour and he has a airless sprayer to lend me so i think im set for this saturday.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finishing up the garage today it looks frickin awesome considering an amature painted it,ill put some before and after pictures up tommorow.Thanks for the suggestions the airless sprayer was a blast,literally.I ended up going with latex eggshell(got a deal on it),It took two and a half five gallon pails one of which i took back and had tinted grey to do the bottom four feet.Two coats seemed to cover just fine I probably wasted alot due to my spray technique or lack of technique and I hope one day the paint comes off my feet,note to self dont paint with sandles on.My man cave looks great gonna start moving into it this week,can barely wait thanks again for the suggestions I would still be painting if i used the princess auto sprayer lol.

Top Bottom