Calgary to Fernie - Fastest Route?

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone thinks is the fastest route to Fernie? Lets make the starting point from the south end of Deerfoot. I usually cut across at Nanton to Hwy 22, but my buddy took me through Okotoks and Longview, couple weekends ago. Forgot to time it but i would guess the Nanton way would be quicker even though it might be longer. You just dont have to make as many turns or slow down through so many towns and the lights in Okotoks.

What does everyone think? Any difinitive route.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone thinks is the fastest route to Fernie? Lets make the starting point from the south end of Deerfoot. I usually cut across at Nanton to Hwy 22, but my buddy took me through Okotoks and Longview, couple weekends ago. Forgot to time it but i would guess the Nanton way would be quicker even though it might be longer. You just dont have to make as many turns or slow down through so many towns and the lights in Okotoks.

Exactly. Turn west at Nanton to highway #22.

Save the Okotoks/Black Diamond/Longview for the summer and the ice cream days type days....or when you're hungry for the big burger at the hotel in Black Diamond!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yup thats the one, unless lots of snow that road is sketchy then I go okotoks and instead of turning right to blackdiamond I go straight through last light and turn right at end of road and pop out just before longview no traffic.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with Team Dirty on that one.Better on the fuel gauge that way too.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#2 to ft macleod and straight down the 3. with the double lane and all the new passing lanes on the 3 it cant be beat. the road is flatter and straighter also.

we came back that way once when highway 22 was closed and it seemed a lot longer
but i never timed it just that way with the nagging i had going on in my ears
:d:d

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#2 to ft macleod and straight down the 3. with the double lane and all the new passing lanes on the 3 it cant be beat. the road is flatter and straighter also.

When the weather is chit you are corect, its straighter and safer but the fastest way has been stated and 20 minutes each way on top of a 6 hour drive is worth $5 bucks in gas to me. and its more of a fun drive keeps ya thinking...

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch out for that moose by the chain lakes, for some reason I think it actually lives on the side of the highway. If you go through Longview or Black Diamond, BEWARE, the cops hang out there in full force. You go through a 50 and then 30 zone, they always have speedtraps there . You can rack up a pretty good ticket if your mind is in neutral driving that way.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the time and day of the year.
22 can be faster, but when lots of traffic or crappy roads it has taken me longer going that way. Someone driving slow and you end up witha 10 to 15 car lineup behind them. Next thing you know you are sitting because some bonehead could not wait to pass and there is a wreck.
22 used to be a speed highway but there are a lot of cops on it lately so it has lost its time saving advantage
22 is shorter but not faster any more
Highway 2 and over on 3 can be just as fast nowadays with less headaches and the speedlimit is legally faster

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I traveled down 22 south of Longview, but another option it turning at Alderside, that way you miss the crazy amount of lights in Okotoks. Back in the day when 22 was gravel and not yet paved it was great for doing 150-160kms/hr, and even after it was paved there wasn't any cops on it for the longest time. Like said here before slow down going into Longview the By-law officer there is a real prick! But if your at the bar on a Saturday night there you can see him drunk out of his mind playing the accordion! Then hop in his Patrol Car and drive home...what an A$$hole!...lol.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I traveled down 22 south of Longview, but another option it turning at Alderside, that way you miss the crazy amount of lights in Okotoks. Back in the day when 22 was gravel and not yet paved it was great for doing 150-160kms/hr, and even after it was paved there wasn't any cops on it for the longest time. Like said here before slow down going into Longview the By-law officer there is a real prick! But if your at the bar on a Saturday night there you can see him drunk out of his mind playing the accordion! Then hop in his Patrol Car and drive home...what an A$$hole!...lol.

LOL Canyou feel the love!!
RP

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the road from okotoks to in between longview and black diamond then head south that is the fastest road i think it is tongue creek road

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually turn at Aldersyde, take 2A to Tongue Creek Road Hwy 543 (High River Rodeo grounds) west to 22 and then South. We have never come across an accident on the way there but got caught a few times in traffic on the way back. We have come back using #3 east to #2 and then north but it feels like it's a lot longer. I know my brother took the #3 route last season and friends stayed on #22 and the friends ended up 1/2 hour behind them because of the slippery road conditions on 22.
If the province and the MD can sort out some issues, they will be extending Tongue creek road to #2. Right now the province hasn't budgeted for an overpass and the MD is saying don't bother cause they don't want another Aldersyde crossing from a few years ago.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I aways take 22. hyw 3 just seems like you do alot of back tracking. Although i drive to get places not about fuel comsumption.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch for the pigs south of oldman to Lundbreck. They like to nail the city boys in their sport utes heading to Fernie. They will take a sledder as well

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually turn at Aldersyde, take 2A to Tongue Creek Road Hwy 543 (High River Rodeo grounds) west to 22 and then South. We have never come across an accident on the way there but got caught a few times in traffic on the way back. We have come back using #3 east to #2 and then north but it feels like it's a lot longer. I know my brother took the #3 route last season and friends stayed on #22 and the friends ended up 1/2 hour behind them because of the slippery road conditions on 22.
If the province and the MD can sort out some issues, they will be extending Tongue creek road to #2. Right now the province hasn't budgeted for an overpass and the MD is saying don't bother cause they don't want another Aldersyde crossing from a few years ago.

They have approval right now and they are in the middle of building the by-pass from highway 2 to Tongue creek road not sure when its going to be done, but its coming along nicely!...I am in the process of moving back to Longview where I grew up...nice and close to lots of great riding.:d

Top Bottom