Future of snowmobiling

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had a discussion the other day with a family member, actually more of a argument.
She said “you would never catch me riding snowmobile in the mountains”
I said “yes the fear of misunderstanding you need to live life”
She said”Lol, yeah but to me that is too close to taking a life”

Is this how the majority of society view snowmobiling in the mountains? That there’s a avalanche around every corner trying to kill you?

Manufacturers say the snowmobile sales are steadily decreasing.....why is this reclining? People misunderstanding the benefits of the great sport, environment issues, cost of doing the sport? What would it take to get more people involved?

I feel that snowmobile technology has come to a point where sleds are lasting longer then ever. The old saying “ride a hour and fix a hour” doesn’t apply anymore. Maybe this is a reason for the lower sales......It’s rare to have a break down unless it’s self inflicted..lol. I find the parking lots are overfilled most days...sure doesn’t feel like it’s declining.

Another aspect that will be a huge part in the next 10 years will be emissions. Four strokes and electric will probably be more of the mainstream in 10years, unless technology really changes for the 2 stroke. I assume there will be some real whizzy 4 stroke technology in the next few year to make the light weight.

Noise is another huge factor, I am truly surprised most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are not racing to be the quietest, maybe I’m getting older but listening to a loud sled across the valley is not helping our cause.

Education is key.....the Avalanche educators have to get a huge thanks!!!! The amount of information available at your fingertips is unbelievable. The hours that are put in it truly remarkable!!!!! They do such a great job making sure everyone has what the need to make critical riding decisions for the day. There are risks in everything we do in life, but the more information people can access the better.

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are?
Here are some things I think of for myself.....Make sure you take the time to talk about how great sledding is to non sledders, take as many new riders and teach them what you know, respect the environment, pack out what you pack in, enjoy a drink after the day, support your local snowmobile club, take kids sledding, get avalanche educated, have a way to communicate while riding, respect fellow riders, always wear a beacon and safety gear, never ride alone, help any fellow rider if the are in need, support your local dealerships, don’t get to caught up in the latest and greatest, make sure you do your part so our kids have a place to ride, make smart riding decisions, someone in the group “spider sense tingling” you don’t do it, stick together as a group, be prepared for the worse, learn the mechanics of what you ride and above all have fun!!!!

Cheers

Attachments

• 007381B3-BC9C-41EF-A118-1C04F7888401.jpg
    007381B3-BC9C-41EF-A118-1C04F7888401.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of my non riding friends sound like your friend.
"Oh, you're headed out to set of Avalanches again"
Is a common phrase I hear. I've never set off even a tiny slide.

I've offered to take them up, show them what it is about.
As I have extra gear and an extra machine. Told them all they have to do is pay for food, lodging and fuel.
They usually reply with "dont think my wife would let me" or "too expensive for my blood".
But I do think they are scared. Because if I offer to take them trail riding for the weekend somewheres, they all accept. So it's not the price. And I try to explain that to them as well.

But on the other hand, the less people riding when/where I'm riding, the better.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a interview with a insurance company a few years ago when I signed up for our life insurance. One of the questions was in regards to mountain sledding and the practice of “hymarking”

I had to stop her and ask what the companies definition of hymarking was. She said it was hill climbing. I corrected her and said thats not hymarking, hill climbing and hymarking is two totally separate things. do your realize that you have to hill climb to get to places in the mountains? To some its a unnecessary risk

IMO social media, and movies will be the end of powersports all together. People post crap to get likes, but it also gives others who have no clue whats it like, to regulate it.
This has happened in other industries before in the past, and its happening now with the Y2K program.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of my folks think mountain riding is 100% chute climbing. They can't/don't want to imagine that there is more to the mountains than just the steep slopes and peaks as seen from the hwy. I tried explaining them them there are meadows/bowls at 6000 ft that could fit a small town...
Another good one was, "how do they all fit on the mountain? They must be driving over each other..." that comment was made about a full upper parking lot at Eagle Pass. I tried having a serious discussion and educate them, without success. I have learned to ignore their comments!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think cost is one of the main reasons for declining sales, but equally at fault is the age demographics.
I see less families riding and equate this to less young people buying new sleds as they get out on their own.
The lackluster economy our politicians have thrust us into doesn't help either. Less disposable income for all.
As to the future of our sport, it only increases in cost every year (gas, accommodations, meals, beer etc).

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the price point. It was bad enough when a new sled was 13-15k, now they’re 15-18k. How long before it’s 18-20k?? And... what machine is designed to be ridden by a teen?

The new 200’s and the Polaris 550 are a step in the right direction for sure, kudos to the manufacturers!! I hope they continue in this direction!

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the price point. It was bad enough when a new sled was 13-15k, now they’re 15-18k. How long before it’s 18-20k?? And... what machine is designed to be ridden by a teen?

The new 200’s and the Polaris 550 are a step in the right direction for sure, kudos to the manufacturers!! I hope they continue in this direction!
sled prices for sure. truck prices, deck prices, trailer prices. all associated costs make this a very spendy sport.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost is definitely a factor. Perception is also a part of it. Out economy is in the toilet, our political system is more about serving their own inerests rather then serving the people as a whole. As a sledding community, we are also at fault. How many times has someone asked what sled to buy on this site? Answer is always an 800 or larger sled with the longest track available, which does NOT teach a new rider skill, whether they are 8, 18, or in their 40’s. I see a lot of folks putting their 13 yr old kid on an 800, and yes, it will take them places - places they have no business being. Most of the “seasoned” riders on here learned to ride on way smaller, less capable iron. We had to LEARN how to get around the backcountry with skills, not just the throttle. I watch the odd sled video, and these riders are showing the extreme terrain, big air, insane climbs, and boondocking through trees that would make any new potential rider cringe. Nothing wrong with that, but where do you think the uneducated public gets the dangerous view of the sport? Throw in the avalanche deaths and SAR reports and we look like fools to the masses.
We need more entry level sleds, as well as education to show that this is a family sport. This includes both trail and off trail snowmobiling. Avalanche and backcountry survival safety training needs to be more accessible to new riders, whether it be an actual certificate, or skills being passed down from experienced people ( what we used to do before the advent of these courses). Most importantly, common sense has to play a part. One cannot expect the market to grow when sleds are getting more powerful and more expensive every year - the vast majority doesn’t NEED he most powerful machine. Even at 50 years old with a LOT of riding under my belt, I can have fun on a 600cc sled with the shorter track, and often I do ride smaller iron for the challenge and to keep my skills honed. (Although most of my riding is on a boosted 4 stroke cause I’m getting lazy).
The sport of snowmobiling is unlike any other. We need to encourage new riders to get out there, and quit telling them they need the latest & greatest to have fun. Marketing departments need to return to tactics from the 70’s, where snowmobiling was portrayed as a family activity, to get new riders involved. Or perhaps we are too late for that in the world of online shopping, video games, and instagram/Facebook selfies from the “smart” phone...

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been doing this forever like some of you but in my short time, I've seen some bad rental situations over and over. I know its a business but man, they could use a bit more training before grabbing an 850 and head up boulder or Frisby from the hotel... rental guy 2 years ago hit my friend head on headed back up to the cabin for a backpack they forgot. When we talked to the rental outfit later they said that family wrecked a machine per day they were at the hotel. Get AST1, forget about the latest and greatest iron and go have fun. make smart choices, look out for everyone else!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost ?
Don’t think everyone needs a new -truck
-new deck or trailer
- new sled or sleds
So many good deals around and could have just as much fun with way less expense .
It’s crazy the amount coin sitting in parking lots ?
You don’t need a f350 Platty with 6 inch lift ,38 inch tires pulling a $30g trailer full of new sleds to have fun ? Lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spose if cost is the problem than stop buying the product, but I dont think that will be the cause of the industry’s demise. Regulation and emissions will be.
Over 20 years ago a new sled cost me 8500 out the door and diesel was 65.9 cents a liter over 10 years ago. Inflation is inevitable and its simple economics.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost ?
-new deck or trailer
- new sled or sleds
So many good deals around and could have just as much fun with way less expense .
You don’t need a f350 Platty with 6 inch lift ,38 inch tires pulling a $30g trailer full of new sleds to have fun ? Lol

You don’t?!?!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Cost is just a matter of priorities. All depends on where one wants to spend the money. Many times, cost is just an excuse.

I agree with Matt, environmental/governmental regulation will be the big one. There is no slowing down in the eastern provinces/states. Still lots of riders and the environmental freaks are only worried about the Rocky Mountains and the Y2Y corridor. That's where the biggest shutdown will be. The new wave of citizen in western Canada has been inundated or brain washed with all the BS from the USA protestors and agenda seekers.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost is just a matter of priorities. All depends on where one wants to spend the money. Many times, cost is just an excuse.

I agree with Matt, environmental/governmental regulation will be the big one. There is no slowing down in the eastern provinces/states. Still lots of riders and the environmental freaks are only worried about the Rocky Mountains and the Y2Y corridor. That's where the biggest shutdown will be. The new wave of citizen in western Canada has been inundated or brain washed with all the BS from the USA protestors and agenda seekers.

Exactly and it’s not just sledding it’s everything involving Motorsports .

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That’s the truth! Every avalanche is more ammunition for them, we need to do a better job of publicizing all the full avy courses, incident free rides, ect.

It’s the same with oil and gas, we need to take a page from the protesters playbook and use media to our advantage, there no such thing as keeping quiet and letting the good we do speak for itself these days..

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up with all members of my family (aunts, uncles, cousins etc) owning sleds and we would go out riding around our lake place in NE Alberta. We'd make them big family weekends and always have a blast being out on the trails and I recall seeing a lot of other snowmobilers out as well. I was 12 when I first started making mountain trips with my dad and uncle in McBride (Belle) and Sicamous (Hunter's Range). First couple of years we went to the mountains with 340 indy lites and I have pictures and videos of us going off the beaten path not just a trail cruise to the cabin. There were a few instances when the trail fee collectors and other riders would make comments about my dad not suiting us up with beacons or backpacks but in all reality you can quite easily enjoy a day out on the mountain sledding without the need of a beacon. Hunter's Range is probably where I see the most amount of families that still ride up to the cabin and enjoy lunch and riding around all the great meadows while NOT being in any avy danger whatsoever. That place is the best example of how to enjoy a 'mountain-riding' experience without any hill-climbing or chute-climbing or exposed alpine faces. I show people videos that we take in Hunters and only then do they start to realize there's more to the sport than all the extreme stuff that is portrayed in the professional videos.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost ?
-new deck or trailer
- new sled or sleds
never said new. it all still costs money. lots of people not making the scratch in the u.s. or canada. it hurts sales on new and used.

Top Bottom