Future of snowmobiling

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An other major issue I believe is people are getting lazier everyday. They can do everything from a phone or ipad and never leave the house and thats the way they like it . All I ever hear from my friends with kids is how hard life is with kids, how they have no time for anything, hard enough just getting kids to school and going to work etc etc blah blah blah. I always say to them do you think 30 years ago when we were kids things were any different raising children? My parent raised 3 kids, and still always had time for all our sports and extra curricular activities, and we were still always sledding in the winter, quading dirt biking in the summer, going fishing hunting and so were all my friends and their parents. We as kids always helped out with working on sleds, fueling, greasing, cleaning, loading and un loading and actually enjoyed it because we knew if we didnt help out we didnt get to go ride. Now these lazy kids these days will put out more effort just trying get out of doing something that takes them outta the house and involves a little work. They all wanna have things to do as a family that involve just getting dressed and showing up because that is hard enough as it is..... apparently. Another factor is kids are babied nowadays and becoming softer by the minute. They cant even walk home from the bus stop after school or make themselves a snack let alone handle a snowmobile on their own

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hasn't seemed to slow down the motor boat crowd. Crazy busy in the Okanagan with rich or financed to the hilt Albertans.

I would guess probably more working in Alberta
Or address in AB and living in BC and having things registered in AB to beat the taxes ?!!!
Most from BC won’t owe anything as they are so loaded ?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I would guess probably more working in Alberta
Or address in AB and living in BC and having things registered in AB to beat the taxes ?!!!
Most from BC won’t owe anything as they are so loaded ?

Well, I'm from BC and far from loaded. Yes, a lot of that 7% tax is worked around one way or another. The only problem that has come up for those people is the speculation tax on housing.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the order of reasons (all mentioned before):

1. Not as many families enjoying the sport as there used to be. For many of us the bug infected us at a young age. Whether your kids are interested in joining you or not depends on them. Some kids just aren't interested.
2. Time and cost - These are equal IMO because if you have limited time to travel to the mountains, the cost of getting fully geared up is expensive when you only get out two to three times a year. 12 hours in a vehicle (both ways) requires a fair amount of dedication. If you are unable to plan quite far ahead you may have trouble finding accommodations.
3. It can be dangerous for those untrained in what to stay clear of. Possibly fatal for those who don't know and are traveling with equally inexperienced riders.

As I am now in my seventh decade, I likely have the last set up (sled, gear and truck/trailer) I am likely to own. All is in great shape and paid for :) I have always been out to enjoy the experience if seeing places that I would never get to in the summer.

I haven't been affected by closures but can see some of the concern with this challenge. I have always felt that sledding was as close to zero impact on the environment assuming everybody brings their garbage home with them. Not the same with erosion and other related issues with ATV's and SXS riders particularly those that like to tear the place up.

If the sport has lost some of its shine, it gives Lilduke more opportunity to enjoy his fresh powder.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1. Not as many families enjoying the sport as there used to be. For many of us the bug infected us at a young age. Whether your kids are interested in joining you or not depends on them. Some kids just aren't interested.
2. Time and cost - These are equal IMO because if you have limited time to travel to the mountains, the cost of getting fully geared up is expensive when you only get out two to three times a year. 12 hours in a vehicle (both ways) requires a fair amount of dedication. If you are unable to plan quite far ahead you may have trouble finding accommodations.
3. It can be dangerous for those untrained in what to stay clear of. Possibly fatal for those who don't know and are traveling with equally inexperienced riders.

As I am now in my seventh decade, I likely have the last set up (sled, gear and truck/trailer) I am likely to own. All is in great shape and paid for :) I have always been out to enjoy the experience if seeing places that I would never get to in the summer.

I haven't been affected by closures but can see some of the concern with this challenge. I have always felt that sledding was as close to zero impact on the environment assuming everybody brings their garbage home with them. Not the same with erosion and other related issues with ATV's and SXS riders particularly those that like to tear the place up.

If the sport has lost some of its shine, it gives Lilduke more opportunity to enjoy his fresh powder.

Jeez bud given er into your 70's, that is awesome. Hope I can do the same! :beer:

west coast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Greatest sport ever. Future is what we want it to be. We ride alot of difficult areas to access so I waited until my oldest son was 19 before bringing him out. A year later he is full on. It doesn’t take long to learn with these new sleds. I would never go back to the past. This sport is always getting better.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Kudos to you for keeping going into your 70’s, you’re an inspiration!!

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent the afternoon following my 3yr old son around the farm on his 120, last Thursday I rode near Fernie with friends, Saturday before last my 9yr old daughter and I rode nearly 25 miles (she has a little snow scoot). Snowmobiling may be a bit of an obsession for me, but as long as I am able to ride I will. The older I get, I care less about where and what I'm riding. Just happy to be outside on a sled! Hopefully, there are enough others out there that feel the same way so our great sport doesn't fade away.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great discussions fellas...so far hasn’t went off the rails. Lol. I also really don’t care where or what I ride as long as I can ride...There is so much country out there we rarely see other sleds where we ride. Like yesterday there wasn’t one sled in the area I took the kids, and the view was spectacular. People complain that there favorite riding areas are getting to busy, but that’s concentrated in some pretty small areas...lots off the beaten path.

As for expense, yes it’s costing more along with everything else. All though there are many great deals on used and leftover sleds. Tow vehicles, trailers are really none issue because most people have them anyway. If you can afford the lastest and greatest good on you!!! You work hard for it and reward yourself for it. If you can’t afford it, prioritize what’s more important...new sled , used truck etc. Always ways to get around the spend to do something.

Attachments

• 752BDC85-4E42-43AA-AA1C-9F0C2A758BA9.jpg
    752BDC85-4E42-43AA-AA1C-9F0C2A758BA9.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 410
  • D9972E85-6E5E-4D7C-A013-6F2CCF98C775.jpg
    D9972E85-6E5E-4D7C-A013-6F2CCF98C775.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trublue...........those pics sure look familiar. Probably passed you on the trail............good for you (and others) getting the whole family out there.

On another note, here's another public perception on snowmobiling. Back at work today, just BS'ing around the office about what we did this weekend, you know the usual climb a few hills, explore through the trees, and dig out of waist deep snow. Then someone pipes up, "no wonder it's so hard to dig out when you've been drinking your bottle of rum". Not the first time I heard that comment, but lots of folks think all we do when riding is drink booze. That was sort of offending, since our foursome don't carry any alcohol on our ride. Sure we like a pop or two, but leave that till we get back to the hotel.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear that, my regular group doesn't usually have any alcohol and if you get riding with another drinking crew, it seems to deter them from it too. I have friends on both sides of that fence, funny to see how much better they ride sober One even thanked me the other day

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kudos to you for keeping going into your 70’s, you’re an inspiration!!

Less of an inspiration than you are thinking. Living your seventh decade puts you in your 60's. Kinda like we are in the 21st century :).

If you want inspiration, my father in law is 88 and more active than I am.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Less of an inspiration than you are thinking. Living your seventh decade puts you in your 60's. Kinda like we are in the 21st century :).

I was having a hard time figuring that out. I had to work the math and when you are 11, you are in the second decade, 21 is the 3rd, and so on until one gets to 61 it becomes the 7th decade. Don't they say, "Doing well for your age!"

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My comment still stands. I’m only in my 4th decade, and although I have some health issues that slow me down I still love to ride, and ride hard! We all need to keep doing the things that keep us feeling young, no matter what our age!

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cost is definitely a factor. Perception is also a part of it. Out economy is in the toilet, our political system is more about serving their own inerests rather then serving the people as a whole. As a sledding community, we are also at fault. How many times has someone asked what sled to buy on this site? Answer is always an 800 or larger sled with the longest track available, which does NOT teach a new rider skill, whether they are 8, 18, or in their 40’s. I see a lot of folks putting their 13 yr old kid on an 800, and yes, it will take them places - places they have no business being. Most of the “seasoned” riders on here learned to ride on way smaller, less capable iron. We had to LEARN how to get around the backcountry with skills, not just the throttle. I watch the odd sled video, and these riders are showing the extreme terrain, big air, insane climbs, and boondocking through trees that would make any new potential rider cringe. Nothing wrong with that, but where do you think the uneducated public gets the dangerous view of the sport? Throw in the avalanche deaths and SAR reports and we look like fools to the masses.
We need more entry level sleds, as well as education to show that this is a family sport. This includes both trail and off trail snowmobiling. Avalanche and backcountry survival safety training needs to be more accessible to new riders, whether it be an actual certificate, or skills being passed down from experienced people ( what we used to do before the advent of these courses). Most importantly, common sense has to play a part. One cannot expect the market to grow when sleds are getting more powerful and more expensive every year - the vast majority doesn’t NEED he most powerful machine. Even at 50 years old with a LOT of riding under my belt, I can have fun on a 600cc sled with the shorter track, and often I do ride smaller iron for the challenge and to keep my skills honed. (Although most of my riding is on a boosted 4 stroke cause I’m getting lazy).
The sport of snowmobiling is unlike any other. We need to encourage new riders to get out there, and quit telling them they need the latest & greatest to have fun. Marketing departments need to return to tactics from the 70’s, where snowmobiling was portrayed as a family activity, to get new riders involved. Or perhaps we are too late for that in the world of online shopping, video games, and instagram/Facebook selfies from the “smart” phone...
approx 6 years ago when my son wanted to try mountain riding he had the thought you had to have a 800 but new to mountain riding and only did ditch banging on old iron as a kid i told him of a older sled in excellent condition that was cheap in price,yes it was a older summit but was only a 583. i told him that buy a sled like that,use the extra money for beacon,probe,shovel,etc instead. when you can outride the sled then go bigger. the first year he made 2 trips and yes the sled was more capable then him,the 2nd year he was outriding the sled. so he purchased a 800 with bigger paddles and length. now he can outride the sled with 2.25 paddles. if he went with a 800 sled from the begining he would not of advanced as far and as quick as he did. he had to learn how to ride the sled. alot of people who get into the sport never learn how to ride what they are capable of they rely on the sled. so to get people into the sport yes imo we need to go back to the basics and when people ask what to buy they should be told to start with smaller and learn first then increase to what you are comfortable with. having a older sled and smaller would get possible more people into the sport. when i ride in the mountains there is alot of older people riding and the young ones who are riding are in debt so far that they cant keep it up and are selling things off after season ,making it a sport that will decrease. social media with avalanches arent helping the cause or the drinking perspective,along with reading about people riding in caribou closures all effect the sport. dealers need to listen to potential customer and sale them what they need and not push the latest sled with the most hp. the sport will continue to die if the cost is so great that a family cannot get into it with there children. at one time it was a family sport now it is a individual sport.

Travco28

Reaction score
I would say cost and the economy is a huge factor . I have a couple close friends that quite riding because off cost . Rooms used too cost less then half what they do now. I have friends that are really interested in the sport but just don't have the money to jump into it . I told them too rent but even that is dang near a $800 + weekend if you go too Revy . Everything is expensive compared to 10 years ago, and labor rates haven't really increased all that much if any in the last 10 years .

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree on costs escalating no doubt along with expectations of people starting out in snowmobiling. When I was in my twenties starting out we went 5 to a room at the Frontier and whoever passed out first got the floor! Same 5 guys piled into a two wheel drive Ford supercab (NOT crew cab) with one sled in the back and four on an open place trailer with more blue bunjie corded storage tubs wedged between them than the Clampets moving to Hollywood! We could do a whole weekend for less than $200 per guy. As our careers and incomes grew so did our desire for more space, luxury, etc. but we still had a great time back then. Now its amazing how many 20 something year olds are rolling in with the lastest sleds, $85,000 lifted four by four and a nice deck or tricked out trailer. Good on them if they can afford it! I know it took me a lot longer but then again I bought a house first...

Top Bottom