cadomin/ cardinal divide alberta

tlemp

Reaction score
anyone know if there is still lots of snow in this area . planning on making a trip may long, will there still be lots of snow ??

Thanks
Tlemp

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is still some snow in places but mostly bare. Keep in mind that its unusual for it NOT to snow on may long weekend around here! Come prepared.

Cabinboy

Reaction score
Should be ok now. Dropped into the Cardinal River valley over the divide on Saturday April 12th. Beautiful Day, about 20 C, made it into Ruby Lake and then turned around. Too nice out that day, couldn't make it back up the divide. Ended siphoning gas out of 3 machines into one to make it to Smallboys camp, got gas from them and hightailed it for home on the Pembina River road. Needless to say, had lots of gas back @ the cabin. 2 guys spent 8-9 hours by themselves, while we went back to get truck and trailer and more gas. Dohhhh.........Just didn't realize that the snow was that deep when we went in early in the morning (crusty). Snow was saturated when we tried to come out.
You should be fine now, just remember that it is the mountains, and anything can happen. The experience has made us all revisit our survival kits.:eek:

Cabinboy

Reaction score
Cabinboy, that sounds like quite an adventure. Were you one of the guys waiting at the bottom for fuel?

Naww, I got to ride as ballast on the 800 Outlander. We were thinking safety in
numbers, (going into Smallboys camp), plus not being by yourself. First golden rule, never go alone!!!! The old buddy system. Took us about an hour and 15 minutes to go from smallboys camp to cadomin via the PR road. At least we were doing something (riding) the other guys had it worse I think. Just stripping branches, and trying to find wood to keep the fire burning. Have to go back and check out the deforestation on the road.:D .......... Oh well, valuable lesson. Thank god it wasn't -20 or so. Coulda been a real dicey situation

tlemp

Reaction score
whats the road condition going in?, heard the graves flat road isnt all that nice?. will be pulling two quads and camper with a half ton.

Cabinboy

Reaction score
Grave Flats road can be interesting. Its not really maintained, although they did mark where a lot of the road is washed out closer to the divide. Road is very rough and rocky. Its definetely better coming from the Pembina River Road.

tlemp

Reaction score
Grave Flats road can be interesting. Its not really maintained, although they did mark where a lot of the road is washed out closer to the divide. Road is very rough and rocky. Its definetely better coming from the Pembina River Road.

pembina river road well marked to our destination?? and do u come out grave flats natural area ?? Im just going by the map which doesnt have km markings , any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cabinboy

Reaction score
Can't remember how well the Grave Flats turnoff is marked, but its pretty hard to miss. It basically is a y intersection which would be coming in from your right. Much narrower road than the Pembina, and as I said, not maintained.
According to Google Earth Lat is 52 52'1.59 N and Long is 116" 55'1.59W I'm not smart enough to upload an image:eek: I will try later.

Top Bottom