Buying a sled from US seller delivering?

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a sled from a guy in the states he would bring it across the border for me what all needs to be done to do it right. Thx.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle
That should clear up and questions. Also the vehicle will have to have the title cleared before it can leave the usa. That is a three day waiting period. So it wont be done in a day unless you buy it sight unseen and he sends the bill of sale and the title to you. Then you can send it to the proper place in the states to clear the title. Hope this helps.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To do it right, you need to clear the border with it, or have a broker do it. www.riv.ca for all the info you need

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What summit889 said, jasonrev you need to do this right because if you are ever stopped for any reason and the cops want paperwork on this sled, if it hasn't been properly imported you can kiss the sled and your money spent goodbye. The import process isn't that bad, I bought a sled in Bellingham, Washington and picked it up myself. If you need any help with the process or have any questions about it just PM me and I'll help where I can.

FeethookersCanada

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want insurance you better do it right. be prepared to pay the 5% get and a 200+ riv fee too. sometimes it isn't enough savings to mess with the hassle. the whole import process is very easy as long as the sled has a clean title.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last three sleds Iv'e bought have come from the USA, the money I saved made it very worth while. Your American sled will have no Canadian warranty, so if that is important to you, think twice! As others have mentioned it will cost you the $200 RIV fee, and GST on the purchase price. RIV requires a recall clearance letter from the manufacturer, you may also need to do some updates if the machine doesn't meet the requirements to be registered in Canada. That should be no issue for a sled but can be a problem when importing cars, trucks, bikes ect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom