Broken Transmission on Razor 1000

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So 2 weekends ago I was going down the trail in the bush, the trail got deeper, about 4' below grade, then my unit started riding both side walls of the trail where I was up about 3' from the bottom. All was fine I was moving along about 10 km/hr then the trail suddenly got narrower where my front tires bound in the clay and I basically started wedging my self in, then heard some stress to the driveline. Put it in reverse and heard some grinding and some bad noises. So waited for a tow backwards as I could not go forwards at all. So got winched out till the end of the pit (dry by the way) and put it back in drive, heard some driveline noises, and managed to drive back to the place I was riding from. So this Saturday Ron H and I thought we were changing a driveshaft carrier bearing, we took out the rear propeller shaft to find it very bent. Took the unit for a quick ride and noticed some noises from the transmission. So Sunday I decided to pull the transmission to have a peek. Took it apart to find the main gears were all good, but were finding a lot of metal filings in the transmission. Pulled out the shaft that supplies power to the front pinion and there were chunks missing of gears, even the transmission case was damaged in this area and is unrepairable. I ordered new propeller shafts from super atv already but am needing a new transmission. My as well go with the Highlifter transmission, Part number 1333365. Have to call the dealer in the morning to find out the costs. For the US its 2013.00 for the transmission, And 573.00 for the driveshafts.

rzr01.jpg rzr02.jpg rzr2.jpg rzr1.jpg rzr3.jpg rzr5.jpg rzr6.jpg rzr7.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that is crazy.

The way I drive I should be on the 6 th transmission.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So 2 weekends ago I was going down the trail in the bush, the trail got deeper, about 4' below grade, then my unit started riding both side walls of the trail where I was up about 3' from the bottom. All was fine I was moving along about 10 km/hr then the trail suddenly got narrower where my front tires bound in the clay and I basically started wedging my self in, then heard some stress to the driveline. Put it in reverse and heard some grinding and some bad noises. So waited for a tow backwards as I could not go forwards at all. So got winched out till the end of the pit (dry by the way) and put it back in drive, heard some driveline noises, and managed to drive back to the place I was riding from. So this Saturday Ron H and I thought we were changing a driveshaft carrier bearing, we took out the rear propeller shaft to find it very bent. Took the unit for a quick ride and noticed some noises from the transmission. So Sunday I decided to pull the transmission to have a peek. Took it apart to find the main gears were all good, but were finding a lot of metal filings in the transmission. Pulled out the shaft that supplies power to the front pinion and there were chunks missing of gears, even the transmission case was damaged in this area and is unrepairable. I ordered new propeller shafts from super atv already but am needing a new transmission. My as well go with the Highlifter transmission, Part number 1333365. Have to call the dealer in the morning to find out the costs. For the US its 2013.00 for the transmission, And 573.00 for the driveshafts.

View attachment 188661View attachment 188662View attachment 188663View attachment 188664View attachment 188665View attachment 188666View attachment 188667View attachment 188668

ron see that big bearing on the top of the transmission, change It out to an aftermarket one. that bearing will fail and will take out the trans iickity split. best to change out al the bearings if you can. that goes for your stock transmission or the hightlifter one. they all use the same cheap polaris bearings.
also warm that motor up before riding, as that top bearing does not ride in oil. it is a splash bath lubed and gets plenty hot.

just my opinion, after a pile of research

Last edited:
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I see that but after dismantling this transmission I would not look forward to doing it again. I am ordering the highlifter one this morning once the dealer opens. 1/2 the case and gears are still good so, so I'll put those up on Kijiji or eBay.

Thanks for the advise.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see that but after dismantling this transmission I would not look forward to doing it again. I am ordering the highlifter one this morning once the dealer opens. 1/2 the case and gears are still good so, so I'll put those up on Kijiji or eBay.

Thanks for the advise.

change the bearing before installng the highifter trans, it is a time bomb, u ay get 400km or 4000, but it will go. some guys are putting in a full 2 liters of oil in the trans to keep it alive. a way better bearing costs $25

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can do it yourself or your favorite aftermarket sled/bike shop. with the highlifter trans I think you will have to change the secondary clutch also. I usually deal with Bamm UTV in red deer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it does but you still have the reverse chain. lol. 10,000 km that's a lot of kms. should be a few worn out parts

Last edited:

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually lifted equals larger tires which puts extra strain on diff , cvs , tranny .

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need to all remember that with a lift , arched arms , huge tires , better axles etc etc it allows us the ability to get into way more harsh situations than the stock unit was ever designed for . Regardless of brand , the power and mods allow us to create stress that a stockish unit will never allow you obtain.....so spend more / and fix or tame down the machines capabilities are the options....

Top Bottom