bring your paperwork

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks 4X4, that should clear it up. well presented by the RCMP officer and that should end this thread or at least the negative posts. it is what it is, the pain is having to pay the pst for those of us that live here and bought elsewhere.
our local detachment has been very good with sledders, but our new boss man is from Golden so not sure how he is going to be and don't forget the .05 law, I do know that there will be a bit more checking on this at the end of the day.
would hate to see a smile from a good day of riding turn to tears as you watch your unit being towed to the impound because of one to many happy pops on the hill.

Barry,

Maybe this article should be posted up top permanently for those to check out easily.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who puts dumb ass laws like this into place in the first place, comon sense is gone these days

the law is the law, bring it or not that is your choice. I just put it out there, it was not a debate, it is the law. If you chose not to and you have a problem with the RCMP and you see me in the Grizz stop by my table and tell me how much you app. this thread. Good luck with your attitute at the paper check.

jackal

Reaction score
thanks for the up date. hope they put this much effort it to making sure they stay our's. think snow :)

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our local detachment has been very good with sledders,
Hopefully the young peckerhead cop you had there last spring smartens up, and has given up on trying too make a name for himself. Had a run in with him last spring. Pulled me over for speeding which is no prob, i was doing 115.
Then he says a lady from town reported this truck ( her truck ) and sleds stolen from town. Hmmm well in case you haven't noticed the plates are Alberta not BC. So nice try with that one. Then he says what are you guys doing in town, were you here for the hockey tourney. Now i am starting too get a lil pissed off with the guy. Are you blind or do you not see the sleds on the deck. Then he says too my buddy the passeneger, who has never been too Mcbride in his life, oh i see you are back, you are a big trouble maker in this town. Well holly o fawk, now my blood is starting too boil. I said just give me my damn ticket and let me on my way, because you are up too no good and are really starting too piss me off. One day he will push his luck too far, and the outcome won't be pretty. I hate them guys with little man syndrome and hide behind there badges. Then the next time he seen my truck parked out front the sled shop and comes in, acts like nothing happened and want's too be my new best friend. So all i gotta say is hopefully he smartens up. :nono: That's it my rant is over.

haha, my bro met that little fella last year and lost out bigtime, for really no reason as well...

saps79

Reaction score
So is insurance papers good enough for proof or ownership, or is registration needed as well?? Coming up with a large group and dont need any suprises. thanx

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is insurance papers good enough for proof or ownership, or is registration needed as well?? Coming up with a large group and dont need any suprises. thanx

You have to be registered to ride public Property. Yes you need registration. I don't mount my plate though, just carry it.

M1000CAT

Reaction score
Actually was in valemount last weekend and the RCMP were in the parking lot in Allen creek at the end of the day and he stopped and chatted with me. I asked 2 questions first was the paper work issue. I td him all I have on my sled is insurance, he then followed up with asking where I was from and I said Alberta. He said if you are a bc resident you do need registration. BUT if from Alberta to ride in the mountains you only need insurance. This was right from the officers mouth.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just convience for me i work alot and can't get there while there open and to get one sled inspected don't have time to arange that but will be trying hear soon

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same, $60 for 2 years, done.

I just registered mine as well. It's worth the small fee of registering the sled to be able to hand any/every officer all your paperwork and be on your way. One officer says you just need insurance, the next wants to see your registration. I don't think playing he said/she said; with someone you can't beat is worth trying to save $60.00. Now that I have my paperwork.......let's get the snow falling in huge amounts.:beer:

CRF230LKEL

Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong, you are covered for personal liability anywhere in the world, with exception to the "use of a motorized vehicle". Coverage extends to motorized lawn mowers, personal scooters, and in some cases, golf carts, depending on the insurer and wording of your policy.

Actually some insurance companies will aloow a rider to be attached to your existing home insurance for this.
It depends on many things, like the insurance company you use, how high a risk they consider you, and sometimes the amount of time you have used this particularr company.
Its a good, and often cheaper way to get he same coverage.
Ask your insurance broker, you to maybe able to get this rider instated. :)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well we had an alberta inspector come out to inspect some of our custom sleds and give new serial #s.

each sled 500$

they also stamp a large ugly azz plate on the rear of the tunnel. WOULD NOT put iit near the footrest like it is on the stock machine.

i talked with specialty shops here in edmonton they just cut the old vin out and rivet it to the new tunnel. the inspector informed me this was illegal...thought that was odd.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well we had an alberta inspector come out to inspect some of our custom sleds and give new serial #s.

each sled 500$

they also stamp a large ugly azz plate on the rear of the tunnel. WOULD NOT put iit near the footrest like it is on the stock machine.

i talked with specialty shops here in edmonton they just cut the old vin out and rivet it to the new tunnel. the inspector informed me this was illegal...thought that was odd.

Odd that you thought for $500 you could change the VIN number on your sled?

OR

Do you mean if you buy an aftermarket tunnel, cut the old VIN number out on the old one and rivet it to your new tunnel?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new frames/tunnels do not come with serial#s. and it is illegal to transfer the old one.

so i was "told" by the inspector. hence the 500$ or i would ahve just riveted on the old one.

trust me i didnt want new vins

but yes typically they cut the one of the damaged tunnel and put it on the new one

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new frames/tunnels do not come with serial#s. and it is illegal to transfer the old one.

so i was "told" by the inspector. hence the 500$ or i would ahve just riveted on the old one.

trust me i didnt want new vins

but yes typically they cut the one of the damaged tunnel and put it on the new one

This happen while your in Valemount?(probably a stupid question)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope. before we came riding we had to get all new serial#s so we could get insurance registration.

so we paid the inspector 500$ per sled to come to the shop and inspect the sleds and stamp new vins.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
nope. before we came riding we had to get all new serial#s so we could get insurance registration.

so we paid the inspector 500$ per sled to come to the shop and inspect the sleds and stamp new vins.

Wow...we build trailers at times, and they get registered as 'home-built' no charge for VIN, and the ones out of the shop are considered 'manufactured' as opposed to home built, and we buy blank VIN tags, make our own VINs as the manufacturer again no charge...

Why wouldnt this apply to you as well? What kind of inspector?

Top Bottom