bring your paperwork

JamesZuk

Reaction score
Alberta has had the RCMP stopping vehicles and checking ownership but they are running the ser# to check if they were stolen they don't confiscate them unless they are stolen at which point papers are the least of your worries your going to jail.
We were Pulled over by Lake Wabman and I though it was a great idea and we thanked the Cop. :beer::beer:

I will gladly show the rcmp my papers if they stop and ask, cause i know that would be :rant: if my sled got stolen and would want them to do everything in their power to try and get it back.... One thing that i dont understand is why wouldnt you want to insure your machine (seeing some dont) i find it a small price to pay if something happens, then your out possibly tens of thousands

Attachments

• burnt small.bmp
    78.8 KB · Views: 512

05blazerboy

Reaction score
Yeah I'm an Albertan, and being that at one point I owned two trailers, three sleds, a dirtbike, a quad, two cars and a truck I've pretty well had it with paying registration on everything. I have no problems getting insurance, but I refuse to pay for a plate that won't allow me to ride my sled near a highway. All this is, is a gov't moneygrab, making us pay them $40-$70 a year to keep our toys in the garage. Screw 'em, they get half my money already in taxes, and moreso when I work my ass off for my overtime money so I can GO sledding in the mountains. This is an incredibly expensive hobby for some of us Albertans, so we obviously LOVE to do it. This will just take the fun out of it altogether. I really hope it doesn't get too bad, I love McBride and spend a lot of time there in the winter, so much so I have been looking at buying a house there...but if people stop going there to sled what'll happen then, it's not exactly a booming town as is. Of course it shouldn't be turned into the circus that Revy and Valemount became, but I believe the McBride magic will be lost. If I come to McBride once a month for 5-6 months it's already $500/month, add onto that the upgrades and maintainance, and now two sets of insurance and registration/ear if i want to bring up a backup sled just in case...it won't be worth it, I'll just stick around here. God gave us this planet, I agree that the quadders up on Renshaw really screwed the pooch, but it's still all of ours to enjoy as far as I'm concerned.My trail money goes to the clubs to maintain, and my money goes to the town to stay afloat, but the government already gets wayyy too much from me. Thats just my two cents...

Last edited:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you don't need to buy bc insurance if you have alta insurance, same with the registration. nobody said you had to have 2 sets, just make sure you have a set.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I insure and register my sled and have nothing to hide as well but those dirty cops will treat me like a criminal just cause they make a lousy 40 k a year and are jealous a young guy like me can go have some fun while the only fun they get to have is touching their other cop buddys while choking back a crueller and sipping on timmy's finest. Ill say this right now any cop hassles me in the slightest Ill use my superior intellect to make them feel about an inch tall. Which shouldn't be too hard they all have what, an inflated self esteem and a grade 9 education:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm an Albertan, and being that at one point I owned two trailers, three sleds, a dirtbike, a quad, two cars and a truck I've pretty well had it with paying registration on everything. I have no problems getting insurance, but I refuse to pay for a plate that won't allow me to ride my sled near a highway. All this is, is a gov't moneygrab, making us pay them $40-$70 a year to keep our toys in the garage. Screw 'em, they get half my money already in taxes, and moreso when I work my ass off for my overtime money so I can GO sledding in the mountains. This is an incredibly expensive hobby for some of us Albertans, so we obviously LOVE to do it. This will just take the fun out of it altogether. I really hope it doesn't get too bad, I love McBride and spend a lot of time there in the winter, so much so I have been looking at buying a house there...but if people stop going there to sled what'll happen then, it's not exactly a booming town as is. Of course it shouldn't be turned into the circus that Revy and Valemount became, but I believe the McBride magic will be lost. If I come to McBride once a month for 5-6 months it's already $500/month, add onto that the upgrades and maintainance, and now two sets of insurance and registration/ear if i want to bring up a backup sled just in case...it won't be worth it, I'll just stick around here. God gave us this planet, I agree that the quadders up on Renshaw really screwed the pooch, but it's still all of ours to enjoy as far as I'm concerned.My trail money goes to the clubs to maintain, and my money goes to the town to stay afloat, but the government already gets wayyy too much from me. Thats just my two cents...

so the extra 50 bucks each per year for sleds will put ya over budget and make it not worth going sledding. give it up guys. your just to cheap to pay for what you should be paying for. i dont agree with it either but "its thye law" pay it and quit whining about it. your sled gets stolen lets see proof its yours. i could care less about your bill of sale thats 4 yrs old you could have sold the sled sionce then. show me current reg and maybe we can go investigate. you get pulled over and info checked wheres your proof of ownership.
i am sure if you had issues with the cops because you had no reg you would be one of the first to call them a holes because they aren't doing their job right in your opinion. but in reality they are. its your lack of responsibility to obey the law that is causing the issue. jmo.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
ok i have a question. i have 5 or 6 sleds without vins at the moment. ( new tunnels )

what is the correct way to transfer the vin from the old tunnel. can i make a plate and rivet it on?

sorry off topic but im sure there are tons of people with this.

As far as I know. That's all I did and no issues at the registration office either. Take lots of pics of the builds including the tunnel transfer, then if they get picky you can always show them some pics of the build if they impound your sled (at least that was my theory). Keep pics of the vin transfer and so long as the vin from the tunnel you cut it out of isn't stolen I don't know what else to do. They really can't say I didn't build my sled when I show them pics of me building it. Also if you have peeps that can vouch for you, I doubt they will have an issue. They aren't going to impound sleds so they can have them sitting in the lot, they just want to catch theives, if you can present facts to say that the sled is yours I think a people like to make the cops out to be the bad guys, even when they are protecting our toys.

Should be good. Thats what the dealer did to mine when the tunnel was replaced. Cut it off the old and rivoted to the new.

driller

Reaction score
That was a funny one fourstrokes. Cops make 40 grand and cann't afford toys. They make alot more than 40 grand a year and in 20 years full pension.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the extra 50 bucks each per year for sleds will put ya over budget and make it not worth going sledding. give it up guys. your just to cheap to pay for what you should be paying for. i dont agree with it either but "its thye law" pay it and quit whining about it. your sled gets stolen lets see proof its yours. i could care less about your bill of sale thats 4 yrs old you could have sold the sled sionce then. show me current reg and maybe we can go investigate. you get pulled over and info checked wheres your proof of ownership.
i am sure if you had issues with the cops because you had no reg you would be one of the first to call them a holes because they aren't doing their job right in your opinion. but in reality they are. its your lack of responsibility to obey the law that is causing the issue. jmo.

If the cops were doing their job they might drive around the hotels once and a while and check out any suspicious characters hanging out and maybe show up when they are called about a stolen sled or trailer instead of asking "is it insured? report it to your insurance". You won't need registration for the cops if its stolen as they are to busy at Timmies to even show up and take a report...maybe your insurance will ask for it but thats about it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the cops were doing their job they might drive around the hotels once and a while and check out any suspicious characters hanging out and maybe show up when they are called about a stolen sled or trailer instead of asking "is it insured? report it to your insurance". You won't need registration for the cops if its stolen as they are to busy at Timmies to even show up and take a report...maybe your insurance will ask for it but thats about it.

bingbingbing

what good is checking at the trail head or on the road at the end of the day when the real work is done while everyone is sleeping. including the police.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm another one that has always had insurance; never had my sled registered. Better get up there this afternoon so I'm not scrambling around at the last minute trying to make sure I don't wreck everyone in my crews day, because I forgot to register my sled and we end up getting checked.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was a funny one fourstrokes. Cops make 40 grand and cann't afford toys. They make alot more than 40 grand a year and in 20 years full pension.

Good for them, they should still go about it another way. This just shows how lazy and good for nothing they are. To just sit and hassle good regular people when they can actually go out and do police work baffles me. Im a fairly young guy(25) and three years ago I bought a brand new truck. Well I didn't even have it for three months and one night I left work sick at about 3 in the morning, I go through a check stop and for no reason what so ever I get asked to exit the vehicle. I asked why and what I did and the cop straight up tells me any young kid driving around at 3 in the morning is "up to something" ecspecially in a brand new truck. He searched my truck up and down took everything out of the glove box and console and from under the back seat and when he didn't find anything he just threw all my stuff into the backseat and told me to go home and that they were gonna be watching me. Ever since I have a hate out for all cops. :rant:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I screwed if I get pulled over and can produce ownership and insurance but I don't have registration?
I never had my sled inspected when I brought it into Canada from the US. So I have insurance but I can't get registration now.
Can I maybe just say I'm only riding on private property?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I screwed if I get pulled over and can produce ownership and insurance but I don't have registration?
I never had my sled inspected when I brought it into Canada from the US. So I have insurance but I can't get registration now.
Can I maybe just say I'm only riding on private property?

you could be in for a heeep of trouble there boy!!! with out the inspection the government can confiscate the sled, more than likely make you get it inspected though .:)

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
humm well i'm kind of on the fence about this one because of even with nothing to hide never head a good experince with bc cops with (little man sindrom)but i realy would like to know that my sleds are safe at a hotel or if i bring a spare leave it on my truck, i think it will depend on how it is handled, but with that sayed now i have a prob i have one sled reg/ins but my second is just inshured due to no sin # (carbon fiber tunnle) and i work 70+ hours a week so when i do get a day off to go sledding it is a one day trip to golden and never have time to go deal with the reg office ( and there always so helpfull anyway)as some stated it only X amount of $ what the prob . well the prob is that for there Situation life is good ,but for some it is a pain in the ass if it is 500$ to get one sled inspected and buddy has 6 sleds with aftermarket tunnels $3000 is a huge pain in the ass and still be pulled over and bothered about your cracked winsheild that was new two weeks ago or or anything els they can think of at the time depending on the way you look and there mood.to help with theft i think that the hotels should have some kind of security i know i would pay alittle more to know my sh*t is safe now this is just my take on things not saying it fact or im right just my opion .
im sitting home this weekend cause i didn't have time to get my sh*t reg and darn it i tryed runing around like a mad man yesterday trying not enuf time so maby this me just sooking a bit cause i really wanted to go sledding

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks 4X4, that should clear it up. well presented by the RCMP officer and that should end this thread or at least the negative posts. it is what it is, the pain is having to pay the pst for those of us that live here and bought elsewhere.
our local detachment has been very good with sledders, but our new boss man is from Golden so not sure how he is going to be and don't forget the .05 law, I do know that there will be a bit more checking on this at the end of the day.
would hate to see a smile from a good day of riding turn to tears as you watch your unit being towed to the impound because of one to many happy pops on the hill.

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our local detachment has been very good with sledders,
Hopefully the young peckerhead cop you had there last spring smartens up, and has given up on trying too make a name for himself. Had a run in with him last spring. Pulled me over for speeding which is no prob, i was doing 115.
Then he says a lady from town reported this truck ( her truck ) and sleds stolen from town. Hmmm well in case you haven't noticed the plates are Alberta not BC. So nice try with that one. Then he says what are you guys doing in town, were you here for the hockey tourney. Now i am starting too get a lil pissed off with the guy. Are you blind or do you not see the sleds on the deck. Then he says too my buddy the passeneger, who has never been too Mcbride in his life, oh i see you are back, you are a big trouble maker in this town. Well holly o fawk, now my blood is starting too boil. I said just give me my damn ticket and let me on my way, because you are up too no good and are really starting too piss me off. One day he will push his luck too far, and the outcome won't be pretty. I hate them guys with little man syndrome and hide behind there badges. Then the next time he seen my truck parked out front the sled shop and comes in, acts like nothing happened and want's too be my new best friend. So all i gotta say is hopefully he smartens up. :nono: That's it my rant is over.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope to see post about sleds recovered this winter instead of ones going missing just to show that it is working and then would be hard to complain about being checked when ppl are getting there sleds back

Top Bottom