bring your paperwork

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when coming to B.C. this year you are going to what to bring paperwork to show that you own the sled you are bringing. If you are bringing other peep's sleds make sure you have their stuff as well. Lots of notice for all, but it will save you a big problem and I will be reminding all at the snow show of this and many other things.
If you can't prove it is yours it will be put in a police compound untill you can prove it is yours and your weekend will be done.
pluse 6 here this am, it is turning already.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
is this a bc wide policy? who is enforcing? is there any official documents that will be needed? What will they deem as adequete proof? And is there adjoining laws that let the enforcing group enter a locked trailer without a warrant, or consent? Does this not push the limits of the amendments of basic laws and privacy?
I think this is a great idea but isnt this going to put added pressure on an already delicate situation. Furthermore i hope lots of sleds get found for people but that being said. Well maybe i'll call you and we can discuss more.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a good thing. all a guy needs is ins. and reg. like its been said before everybody has no problem spending 20+g on a machine but to cheap to ins. and reg.
as for the enfocing why would anybody have an issue with the enforcing agents looking inside your trailer and checking your documentation. unless you have something to hide. if its all legit why would anybody have a problem with someone checking it out? i for one would appreciate it if once in awhile they check out your docs. for sleds and qauds. i have went through a couple checkstops while hauling either one. always get checked for vehicle docs. once for my trailer,couldn't find it so he let me go, but never for my sleds or qaud.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
thats a good thing. all a guy needs is ins. and reg. like its been said before everybody has no problem spending 20+g on a machine but to cheap to ins. and reg.
as for the enfocing why would anybody have an issue with the enforcing agents looking inside your trailer and checking your documentation. unless you have something to hide. if its all legit why would anybody have a problem with someone checking it out? i for one would appreciate it if once in awhile they check out your docs. for sleds and qauds. i have went through a couple checkstops while hauling either one. always get checked for vehicle docs. once for my trailer,couldn't find it so he let me go, but never for my sleds or qaud.

Ok, i can appreciate your point. I never said i wasn't in favour or that i had something to hide. However the fact that someone can look at documents that have no concern to them with no just cause or due dilegence . Lets look at a worst case scenario.... Enforcing party cuts lock on trailer and opens and finds infractions that have nothing to do with legal paperwork of ownership eg.. sleds not tied down.. fuel container infractions.. so then you are really openiong up a whole can of worms here. How do you by proper law allow this to happen. They could if they wanted stop you every 2 miles once over the boarder and do " random inspections" and waste an entire day. My sled paperwork is in my wallet and i expect just cause and adjoining search warrant before i will open it up. I have never stolen a sled and never will. Should i sit in the back of the car with cuffs on while they search my paperwork to make sure im ok. Im not a crimanal i will not be searched like one.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having those feeling rusty is quiet normal. Totally justified, and i agree with you it doesnt seem fair. BUT if you take on those same feelings if you get pulled you will be searched alot closer, under reasonable suspicion. Welcom to canadian laws. Easiest way is to just go along with them. You are legal and your ducks are in a row. Be happy that they may check every truck as it hits BC. We get some stolen sleds back some riff raff off the roads for a short while we can have the feeling of security.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Having those feeling rusty is quiet normal. Totally justified, and i agree with you it doesnt seem fair. BUT if you take on those same feelings if you get pulled you will be searched alot closer, under reasonable suspicion. Welcom to canadian laws. Easiest way is to just go along with them. You are legal and your ducks are in a row. Be happy that they may check every truck as it hits BC. We get some stolen sleds back some riff raff off the roads for a short while we can have the feeling of security.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLTx1kTkGQ[/YOUTUBE]

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems kind of lame to me, most of the sleds that are stolen, are stolen in BC maybe check a few of the bc plates. looks like another " we don't like people from AB, but we like your money" deals to me. oh they are doing random checks alright. how many bc plates bring sleds into ab. random my ass.

friggin cops, still trying to fight crime at tim hortons from 9 to 5.

anyway thanks for the warning

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
seems kind of lame to me, most of the sleds that are stolen, are stolen in BC maybe check a few of the bc plates. looks like another " we don't like people from AB, but we like your money" deals to me. oh they are doing random checks alright. hw many bc plates bring sleds into ab. random my ass.

friggin cops, still trying to fight crime at tim hortons from 9 to 5.

I always look forward to your bright and sunny take on things... you are the ultimate optimist....

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score

Ok, fine than if this is implemented then they should have a tag on the sleds....checked... Or wait maybe a armband...this is regoddamndiculous!! Does the area MLA and MP know this is happening. Im not trying to rain down to hard but i find it very hard to be seen guilty and have to prove myself innocent. Misinterpretation of documents or an enforcement employee having a bad day can lead to terrible situations. Whats next...its a green day on tuesdays.. only green jackets with...uhh uhh black pants......yeah then we can tax you on that too. What is the root issue here.
Can we implement an early check or something. im all for putting a sticker on my sled that says ALL GOOD or something.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, fine than if this is implemented then they should have a tag on the sleds....checked... Or wait maybe a armband...this is regoddamndiculous!! Does the area MLA and MP know this is happening. Im not trying to rain down to hard but i find it very hard to be seen guilty and have to prove myself innocent. Misinterpretation of documents or an enforcement employee having a bad day can lead to terrible situations. Whats next...its a green day on tuesdays.. only green jackets with...uhh uhh black pants......yeah then we can tax you on that too. What is the root issue here.
Can we implement an early check or something. im all for putting a sticker on my sled that says ALL GOOD or something.

your onto something here rusty. like cmvis sticker that you get on a semi for an all clear at a checkstop. you dont ned to get checked again for x days with said sticker on your unit. however in the event of theft how does billy know its your machine if bobby gave you the sticker? but good idea

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Im going to play the devil with questions here , Yes you and your gear is all good to go , you get a blue tag in the top of your windshield, .. here is the come back..... How do we know you a have the same crew in your truck?

I am with you all the way, once i prove that i am me and its my gear , how do i make the second stop only minutes before im on my way again:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hold on there slugger!! :D I think you're kinda putting the cart before the horse here. none of this has happened yet and I seriously doubt that you will be checked 5 times daily everytime you are out.

First off, my suspicion is that they will probably be only checking a few spots here and there (busy areas) or will be at the parking lots etc. I don't think they are going to have 50 roadblocks on the way to the hill and waste a whole day of riding.

Secondly, no one is saying you are guilty, and allowing your stuff to be searched is not an omission of guilt, they are looking for stolen sleds. Plain and simple. They are not going to be cutting locks off trailers and such, if you do not allow them permission to search your trailer then they are not allowed to search your trailer. They will have to get a search warrant with just cause as to why they should search you and they probably wouldn't waste the time at a checkstop, they will just wait until you unload in the parking lot and once your sleds are within "plain sight", they then have the right to ask to see your paperwork and you have to provide at that point. If you are hiding something this is where most people will be caught, and where most stolen sleds are vunerable (lots of people, no where to hide, etc). If you got nothing to hide then permit them to search the trailer, otherwise it looks really suspicious.

Most of the time I could see them just being in the parking lot of the sled areas like they were at Quartz last year and checking on peeps etc. If your sleds are registered and have insurance, no problem. Keep all the documents in a folder in the center console, as you pull up to the checkstop or if someone approaches you in the parking lot, hand them the papers, they have a quick peek, you will be on your way, probably 5 mins delayed max. The more attitude they get, the more they are gonna give it back. Nice smile, how's your day, and you will be on the road again, no fuss no muss. There should be no "mis-interpretation" of documents if everything is in order.

I hope I get checked everytime we are out - I'd rather be delayed 5 mins and have them catch some thieves rather than just let sledders keep being victims. 2 yrs ago there was a huge rash of theft, it was so bad our riding group was contemplating having someone stay in the trailer (and miss out on riding) during the day just to make sure our ch!t was still going to be there when we got back. People ragged on the cops for not doing anything. Last year we saw a HUGE amount of stolen sled threads on the website, in just about everyone of them, someone rags on the cops for supposedly not doing jack squat about it (again) and most of them had at least one comment similar to "well maybe the cops should set up roadblocks and check registrations..." . Now they are checking and implementing a strategy so IMO we better not bitch about it because this is exactly what we asked for.

PM Coxy on here and ask if he thinks this is a good idea, his sled was stolen from his truck in front of his house and never recovered, someone somewhere is riding it, you can be sure of that. If it helps recover someone's sled, I'm happy to miss out on 2 mins of riding so that someone will maybe get their sled back and not miss out on a whole season instead.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"as for the enfocing why would anybody have an issue with the enforcing agents looking inside your trailer and checking your documentation. unless you have something to hide. if its all legit why would anybody have a problem with someone checking it out? i for one would appreciate it if once in awhile they check out your docs."

Aye Komrad.
Does that go for your house too? I mean if you have nothing to hide let the cops come in and search around anytime.

Why not run the VIN if they want to check instead of having to put ins/reg on a sled?

Check the guys hauling sleds at 3am hauling azz out of the Super 8 and you will have better luck catching the thieves.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I've said three times or so that this is a great idea...HOWEVER......Sherrifs being what they are and C.Os and r.c.m.p being what they are at certain times. I have a hard time believing after sled and trailer number 45 they will have any sense of humor. If you dont believe me try running a scale... i think the amount of people this will help will be great, and the recovered machines will be awesome. But these organizations have proven to me over and over again that they lack logic and in some cases push the envelope for a number of reasons.....none of which have anything to do with "TO SERVE AND PROTECT" My machines are insured, plated and all that jazz. I still dont like to be treated like a criminal. And the paperwork is the scariest part. Albeit in everyones world all paperwork is correct and all plates are valid. MISTAKES are made in everyones day to day operations. Insurance companies make mistakes on paperwork, POLICE make mistakes entering the number to dispatch. CPIC is a failable department. And you get red flagged because of any of these steps the preverbial poop will hit a fan. CARS, DOGS everything.. ive seen it.
Dont put faith in an orginazation that has none in itself.
I hope they put this forward and implement this weekend for quads also. But there absolutley has to be a better way. Thats what im tryin to say.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the law is the law, bring it or not that is your choice. I just put it out there, it was not a debate, it is the law. If you chose not to and you have a problem with the RCMP and you see me in the Grizz stop by my table and tell me how much you app. this thread. Good luck with your attitute at the paper check.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no problem if they check at various locations, sleds on trucks after 11 pm, not just at border crossings, make it pertain to everyone not just a few with ab plates.

although after a few days out in the cold, writing tickets, i assume they will move the checks to the timmys parking lot.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 4 place and truck stolen. Still don't see how that justfies lookin in trailer. Basic freedoms as protection from unlawful search and siezure. Same results could be obtained by checking you at the trailhead. Would be well with in thier rights to check you at that point. Know of some kids who were stopped and charged with myriad of infractions which were later thrown out as there was no legal cause for search in first place (unsecured sleds and other little stuff....have you ever seen inside of freight company trailer? nothin tied down in there). Just sayin same results can be obtained with out trampling people rights. Regulars to Valemont had to have noticed increased police enforcement of laws on the road to and from the hill, and the effect on peoples attitude to ward drinking while on the hill. cheers

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i have a question. i have 5 or 6 sleds without vins at the moment. ( new tunnels )

what is the correct way to transfer the vin from the old tunnel. can i make a plate and rivet it on?

sorry off topic but im sure there are tons of people with this.

Top Bottom