bring your paperwork

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he said any trailer 1400lbs or less is 50$ to have inspected and a vin assigned. anything over is 500$ and atvs and snowmobiles are automatically 500$

we called the registries and set it up........

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
he said any trailer 1400lbs or less is 50$ to have inspected and a vin assigned. anything over is 500$ and atvs and snowmobiles are automatically 500$

we called the registries and set it up........

That blows big time...I might have forgotten that I asked...

Our trailers are all over 1400lbs...Pipe trailers and flatdecks, probably 25 in the past 4 years, never paid a dime.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw a couple of posts about requirements for insurance for sleds in B.C. I'm not saying you shouldn't have it but...liability insurance IS NOT required! Here's a quote from the Forest Service Road use Regulations:

"(1) Despite the requirements of sections 2 (c) and 12, a person is not required to hold a subsisting driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicle Act or a valid and subsisting contract of third party liability insurance while operating a snowmobile on a forest service road in compliance with subsection (3).

(2) Subject to compliance with subsection (3) and with the Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act and the regulations under that Act, a person may operate a snowmobile on a forest service road.

(3) A person must not operate a snowmobile on a forest service road if it appears that the road has been snowplowed, or that the road is otherwise fit for travel by motor vehicles other than snowmobiles."

Here's a llink to the whole document: :)

Forest Service Road Use Regulation

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont understand why people dont wanna register either all i put is fire and theft no collision and it is well worth it I pay $400 a year yeah some may think it is steep but when you pull into revy or golden you really dont got to many concerns with the sled getting stolen! small price to pay to make sure you are all covered I know i would rather take $400 a year then have my machine stolen or catch fire and have to replace a brand new one :eek:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup....and there's no rules regarding insurance at all after you leave that FSR!

Again....I'm not saying you shouldn't have it, but them's the rules. :d

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, you get pulled over to check for ownership, and you may get tagged because you have some other infraction lurking in your trailer. Seems pretty simple......DON'T. I am one of many, who has been a victim of theives, trying to steal my whole rig, truck, enclosed trailer and sleds inside, and wasn't I on the warpath because the law wasn't doing anything about it! I applaud any effort to put the brakes on these theiving jerks. I am not too worried about being ticketed because I have gasoline in a yellow jerry can. If I can prove ownership of the machines that I have with me, and they are securely fastened inside the trailer, I'm good to go!! I will sacrifice my personal liberties to that degree for the greater good!!:beer:

CRF230LKEL

Reaction score
new frames/tunnels do not come with serial#s. and it is illegal to transfer the old one.

so i was "told" by the inspector. hence the 500$ or i would ahve just riveted on the old one.

trust me i didnt want new vins

but yes typically they cut the one of the damaged tunnel and put it on the new one

I did that on my CR tunnel, cops looked at it on my sled deck, said all looks good, and told me to have a good ride.
Maybe BC is different, as i just transfered the plate over to my new tunnel myself.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called the Clearwater detachment to get some clarification regarding out of province snowmobiles. The member I spoke to said no registration/insurance is required for crown land. The issue of ins/reg comes when riding on "maintained roadways". I asked if expired registration would serve as proof of ownership and he said "probably".
I think I need to call Revelstoke detachment as they may have a better handle on what the actual law is.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, Revelstoke detachement says no insurance needed just registration ,if you are on crown land.
If you are crossing maintained roadways they are unanimous that ins/reg is needed.

What detachement is right regarding backcountry riding and if you need registration or not?

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, Revelstoke detachement says no insurance needed just registration ,if you are on crown land.
If you are crossing maintained roadways they are unanimous that ins/reg is needed.

What detachement is right regarding backcountry riding and if you need registration or not?

well I do believe that you can't obtain registration without insurance.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes, in Ab.
But why did Clearwater imply the old registration was enough? Are they looking for proof of ownership or proof of paying the tax?
Remember, the driving force behind Reg. for BC residents is that they can collect tax everytime the sled changes hands. At least that's how it was when I left the place.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In BC all you need is a proper Bill of Sale and 10 bucks in your jeans to register. I bought one from Alberta last year that was never registered anywhere and the only additional thing I had to do was fill out a Statutory Declaration stating I had no knowledge of any leans or other previous owners. Yup....all they want is the taxes paid....over, and over, and over again! :(

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Got mine today, I thought it was going to be alot harder. Just gave them my Bill of sale and Insurance and done. No RIV or other paperwork and its an imported sled from USA. It was a Yamaha, they do have the Canadian sticker on the tunnel, well the original tunnel. So Im legal now. :d

springer

Reaction score
enjoyed the debated regarding bringing the paperwork. i had a sled stolen four years ago and do not wish that hardship on anyone. i will bring my paper work and if this program helps to find one stolen sled, it is worth it. have a good one.

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"snowmobile" means a vehicle weighing not more than 1 000 pounds, designed primarily for travel on snow or ice, having one or more steering skis, and self-propelled by means of an endless belt or belts driven in contact with the ground; and includes a snowmobile conversion vehicle, but does not include a competition snowmobile;

I guess Apex's can't be called snowmobiles LOL!!!

The link above is another link to clarify this issue.

Top Bottom