bring your paperwork

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about alberta but i know in BC it is illegal to cut a serial number off of one tunnel and rivet it onto another tunnel. You have to go into the govt agent in BC and then they make sure everything is legit and then assign a new vin number to unit that is supposed to get stamped into the new tunnel.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled is not registered as it stays in my garage in vmont and only rides in the hills. but it IS insured because if i nail someone on the trail by accident i want to know im covered.

My homeowners insurance already covers me for any liability issues that may come up. Insure you sled if you like, but check your homeowners insurance first.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still can't figure out why some people are fighting this. Bring your papers, plain and simple. If your going to complain about it taking 5 extra mins to show your bill of sale, registration or insurance, to then get your trail pass, I could only imagine how much you'll bitch when it takes you an hour, or even the possibility of not riding, because you wanted to put up a big stink up about showing documents proving your sled is yours.

Thanks for the head's up on this, I'll be bring my forms this year.

jwood99

Reaction score
Hey guys did a little research on this one for you. When going to BC both commercial and private vehicles have to prove that there loads are secure, this gives the RCMP or DOT reason to look inside your trailer. If you choose to tell the officer to pound sand you are looking at a minumum $598 fine for Fail to stop and secure Cargo. If you refuse to prove that your the load in your trailer is secure you are issued this fine and you will have to prove in court that your load was secure. This is a reverse onus charge where you have to prove that your not breaking the law, its not the only one that we have in Canada either. So its probably just as easy to let whoever is checking see your paperwork and they do have reason enought to check your loads, and by default then your sleds vins etc. And for those who are wondering I spoke with a friend who is a Crown Prosecutor and a RCMP officer on these so from the people you will be facing on the road/court.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just abit more to go with the securing of the load, according to DOT (AB and BC) there has to be a minimum of 3 points of contact from the sled/ quad to deck, ie: 1 strap or similar device around the bumper or track to the deck and either a superclamp or similar type of bar over the skis to the deck or 2 straps from the front corners of the sled to deck. They are also supposed to be outlawing the motorcycle type straps that you just pull to cinch down and the only acceptable strap will be ratchet straps. My bro discovered this after getting pulled into the Hinton scales after a weekend in Mcbride this summer.
Something else that I heard regards to the insurance and registration thing is that if you live outside of BC you have to have ins and regs to ride in BC as it's law in your home province.
BC has had that stupid stick on plate for registering your sled since the 60's I believe, I know Dad had them on his sleds in the early 70's it was reflective white with red #'s / letters, just like our AB plates today.
I don't understand why some are getting worked up over things that make the trip safer for all of us, I welcome them to check my sleds, vehicle ,etc. A few minutes of my time doesn't bother me, especially if I hear that they have found stolen sleds, drivers drinking or suspended, or no insurance on their rigs. As long as you show them some respect and don't act like a dickhead or have something to hide all is good. Hell, on one trip this summer to BC we got busted in Banff doing 20+ over the limit and after a few minutes of chatting with the officer and him checking our paperwork he politely told us to slow down and carry on and enjoy the weekend. On the last trip we got busted at Moose Lake on the way back from Mcrbride doing 28 over the limit again we chatted with the officer had some laughs he reduced the ticket to the minimum fine, no points and carried on. We deserved what we got , that's the way it goes. They aren't pulling you over for just shits and giggles they have a cause and reason. So unless you got something to hide, you got nothing to worry about.

C'mon snow!!!!!!!!!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who is jerry anyways i always wondered that
Are you joking or do you want to know how the jerry can got it's name? Heck with it I say it anyway.
It comes from World War I, when the British military were issued fuel cans made of poor quality tin. The Germans were issued fuel cans made of pressed steel (far superior to the British equipment). When the German fuel cans were found in captured trenches, the British first used the captured equipment, then began producing copies. 'Jerry' was a popular term for 'German' at the time, and the fuel cans became known as 'jerrycans'.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this will do ,mostly is inconvience the honest sledders,by having to put up with another uniformed power tripper at the trail toll both while the real criminals do bussiness as usual at three in the morning.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you joking or do you want to know how the jerry can got it's name? Heck with it I say it anyway.
It comes from World War I, when the British military were issued fuel cans made of poor quality tin. The Germans were issued fuel cans made of pressed steel (far superior to the British equipment). When the German fuel cans were found in captured trenches, the British first used the captured equipment, then began producing copies. 'Jerry' was a popular term for 'German' at the time, and the fuel cans became known as 'jerrycans'.
awesome! thanks....:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this will do ,mostly is inconvience the honest sledders,by having to put up with another uniformed power tripper at the trail toll both while the real criminals do bussiness as usual at three in the morning.
I seriously doubt they will commit extra manpower to do this, but if I'm checked out at a check stop I am fine with it. but as you say, the bad guys keep different hours....

lkisle

Reaction score
how can they make a law and not explain how to follow it?
is a pink slip enough of a form to prove ownership, Ab registration, BC registration...?
what is this paper work... bill of sale?
just seems a little vague to be starting to hand out tickets to everyone

lkisle

Reaction score
and if it is registration that is required, won't most albertans register their sleds in alberta?
there by keeping the monies in alberta, and none making it to BC to improve law enforcement and man power to prevent thefts...
the only way to get money to rcmp then would be through issuing tickets that the BC police will then receive funds

just seems like a bunch of hoopla to me!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are from out of province and have all the proper paperwork from the province you live in like your registry papers then you'll be fine. As far as just a bill of sale unless it's from a dealership i dont know that that'll cut it because even if a sled is stolen anyone can write up a bill of sale for a hot sled, that's why i think you will see registration papers wanted because it's pretty tough to register a hot sled.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Registration and proof of insurance is all you need.

They don't make you have any other/additional paperwork for vehicles, atv's, or RV's other than proof of insurance and proof of registration......... so why would you be required to have anything over and above this on hand for a snowmobile.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've seen check stops in SE BC and all the RCMP doo is read the serial number to a dispatcher to check if the sled was reported stolen. That was with BC sleds so I'm not really sure what they doo with our fine eastern neighbours:d:d:d

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My homeowners insurance already covers me for any liability issues that may come up. Insure you sled if you like, but check your homeowners insurance first.

You couldn't be more wrong, you are covered for personal liability anywhere in the world, with exception to the "use of a motorized vehicle". Coverage extends to motorized lawn mowers, personal scooters, and in some cases, golf carts, depending on the insurer and wording of your policy.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm all for it as my machine is insured and reg'd for buisness anyways, as my company owns my sled and pays for all the associated fee's, the plate isn't fixed to my machine but is always close by so if I have to carry the paperwork or even attach the plate to side in bc i'm not going to complain, the way I look at it at least the damn law enforcement as starting to DO THEIR JOB!.

I see people say they dont mind another 5 mins in a check stop for paperwork isn't a big deal but its never 5 mins, by the time they pull over a number of trucks and start checking things, then you get the d bag that lips off the cops and he takes his time nit picking everything and writing the copious tickets your there for a hour or more, theoritically speaking of course.

Not sure where I was going with that second paragraph but my main question was about the secured load ticket. I'm all for it but I have a buddy that bought a new three place enclosed trialer this year and he says that it going to be tight enought with three sleds in there that they wound move anyways so no point tieing them down and he not goin gto bother adding extra d rings or clamps for the fact. My question is who does the ticket go to if their not proplerly tied down? the owner of the trailer? who ever is towing it, or the owner of each individual sled? I ask cause I've bugged him many times and he damn stubborn so if we do get caught I want him to get the ticket to teach him a lesson.

Sorry for the long winded reply, this is the same guy that I bugged him about trailer maintence and greasing bearings and the wheel fell off last year and cost him over $600 in new parts and towing fee's just so we could get home. LESSON LEARNT! :d
Ticket goes to driver...

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta has had the RCMP stopping vehicles and checking ownership but they are running the ser# to check if they were stolen they don't confiscate them unless they are stolen at which point papers are the least of your worries your going to jail.
We were Pulled over by Lake Wabman and I though it was a great idea and we thanked the Cop. :beer::beer:

Top Bottom