bring your paperwork

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Barry they are welcome to check my sled...i'm probably 1 of the few that display the plate on my sled.

I see this as a good move to not only find stolen machines but maybe to catch some of the bastages stealing them....To find 1 stolen sled is 1 stolen sled to catch the guy with it might prevent 10 more thefts. Not really sure why guys are bucking the system here register it and keep the registration on you if you haul a buddies sled who is not with you make sure you don't forget the reg when you load it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i have a question. i have 5 or 6 sleds without vins at the moment. ( new tunnels )

what is the correct way to transfer the vin from the old tunnel. can i make a plate and rivet it on?

sorry off topic but im sure there are tons of people with this.

As far as I know. That's all I did and no issues at the registration office either. Take lots of pics of the builds including the tunnel transfer, then if they get picky you can always show them some pics of the build if they impound your sled (at least that was my theory). Keep pics of the vin transfer and so long as the vin from the tunnel you cut it out of isn't stolen I don't know what else to do. They really can't say I didn't build my sled when I show them pics of me building it. Also if you have peeps that can vouch for you, I doubt they will have an issue. They aren't going to impound sleds so they can have them sitting in the lot, they just want to catch theives, if you can present facts to say that the sled is yours I think a people like to make the cops out to be the bad guys, even when they are protecting our toys.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think the same system as registering a homemade trailer, phone a registries office they will tell you.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i have a question. i have 5 or 6 sleds without vins at the moment. ( new tunnels )

what is the correct way to transfer the vin from the old tunnel. can i make a plate and rivet it on?

i think bdf is right if you have no vin and need one registries sends a guy out to check that no parts or nothing is stolen and issues you a new vin. thats the way it is with trailers homebuilt and older ones that have double or triple vins in the system.
you used to be able to just make up your own but not anymore. my first trailer i made my own the second one they wouldn't let me do that again.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when coming to B.C. this year you are going to what to bring paperwork to show that you own the sled you are bringing. If you are bringing other peep's sleds make sure you have their stuff as well. Lots of notice for all, but it will save you a big problem and I will be reminding all at the snow show of this and many other things.
If you can't prove it is yours it will be put in a police compound untill you can prove it is yours and your weekend will be done.
pluse 6 here this am, it is turning already.

I'm ok with it, but the guilty until proven innocent part i have a problem with, particularly if it's being transported.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I get stopped, I have my proof of ownership, and am on my way in 10 min.I really don't see the problem. Here's an idea, don't forget your bill of sale.Thanks for the heads up bbtoys.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I think they will get you at the staging areas. That would make the most sence. Also I could see when they do there checks at the weigh stations (especially Golden) that they would ask there. Was checked this summer for quad paperwork, All i could produce was a wet and wrecked document but the plate was on the quad. they were more concerned about the trailer though. 5 min and i was gone.

One time in Corbin I broke down and left my sled in the corbin parking lot and doubled back to inn on the border. Pulled the sled off to the side off parking lot well out of the way. Some time that night the plow operator called the cops and without even checking they sent a tow truck out to get it. Cost me $265 to get it out of impound. This is after about 2 hours of paperwork filling a stolen sled claim. They had not even looked at my sled. We finally figured out they had towed it. After talking with the Seargent from fernie they actually paid me back for the cost of recovery about 2 weeks later. Dumb asses

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is going to go on all across bc and also wouldn't suprise me if the rcmp did checks in alberta also. The cops have gotten alot of flack for not doing enough about stolen sleds, so now they are starting to do something. I dont see it being a thing where they are going to stop people because of what license plate they have. The way i look at it is if people know that there is a good chance that they might have to provide proper papers for the sled they are riding then it might just deter some of the people from buying stolen mtn sleds. As for the V.I.N deal i would definitely check with a registry office in your province, because i know that in BC you are not allowed to transfer a VIN number to another tunnel. But the govt agents can arrange for a new one to issued for your new tunnel.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many complete sleds stolen sleds are found with people riding them? I was under the impression they were parted out?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many complete sleds stolen sleds are found with people riding them? I was under the impression they were parted out?

There are lots of sleds that are sold as complete running sleds. There was a guy last year in valemount that lost his sled because cops were doin a check at the parking lot and when they ran the vin number they found out it was stolen. The sled had been stolen like 4 years or so earlier and had bought and sold a couple times since it had been stolen. I think that it'd be a large deterent to the stolen market if guys knew that there would be checks goin on all across western canada and that they'd loose the sleds if caught and possibly face charges for being the possession of stolen property.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you go to the registry and pay the 50 bux and somone comes out to assign a new vin ,not sure if you can transfer the other vin to the sled,just had them do a trailer i built with no vin

murdok

Reaction score
There are lots of sleds that are sold as complete running sleds. There was a guy last year in valemount that lost his sled because cops were doin a check at the parking lot and when they ran the vin number they found out it was stolen. The sled had been stolen like 4 years or so earlier and had bought and sold a couple times since it had been stolen. I think that it'd be a large deterent to the stolen market if guys knew that there would be checks goin on all across western canada and that they'd loose the sleds if caught and possibly face charges for being the possession of stolen property.

Checks are good in my opinion. Besides.....you mean to tell me that that guy didn't think or know there was somethin fishy about his sled. He would have known it was stolen if he went to insure and register it! Or did he not insure and register it for a reason? C,mon now

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Checks are good in my opinion. Besides.....you mean to tell me that that guy didn't think or know there was somethin fishy about his sled. He would have known it was stolen if he went to insure and register it! Or did he not insure and register it for a reason? C,mon now

in bc you dont need to have all that, not yet anyway, and lots of guys in alberta only ride the hills, so the dont insure them or register them

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in bc you dont need to have all that, not yet anyway, and lots of guys in alberta only ride the hills, so the dont insure them or register them

my sled is not registered as it stays in my garage in vmont and only rides in the hills. but it IS insured because if i nail someone on the trail by accident i want to know im covered.

murdok

Reaction score

So you mean to tell me that if someone was to buy a ten thousand dollar sled he wouldn't WANT to insure it. Is that the same guy that complains about his sled getting stolen and having no insurance? Is that the same guy that runs into somebody and has no insurance to cover the damages? Don't get me wrong.I know that the cost of fully insuring a sled is ridiculous but to at least have pl.pd and some specified perils is under 200 bucks? That is for someone with a relativly clean driving record! lol Now is it really that big of a deal to throw a plate on it ? So lets say it cost you 300 bucks a year to be legal anywhere wouldn't that be worth it? Would it not be easier to go through a checkstop and have everything clean and legit and be on your way? Maybe it's just me! lol Rant over

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are lots of people in AB who don't register or insure their sleds in AB because they only ride in BC.

I choose to have both so its not a concern or inconvience for me. I keep copies and the plate with me at all times.

The biggest issue I see for this is what about the hundreds or even more of other AB and Sask sledders who don't know this will be enforced. This forum and many more only reach out to so many people. Heading into BC only to be pulled over by Constable Francois who doesn't know the rules as good as the people who are following them will ruin a lot of peoples weekends.

The honest, law abiding sledders will try to continue to be law abiding and will likely see and experience the most flack while the criminals still get away with the crimes.

I guess if they can catch one stolen sled with someone, then great, it works.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry for the heads up. I understand some peoples frustration on this but I think that it is good and maybe they will scare the theifs off a little. I have no problem with showing all my paperwork when then ask. I just hope that it doesnt slow the traffic down to much when were buying our trail passes if that is where they do the check stop. Sometimes that area can be hectic as it is. That is my opinion.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In BC it is actually law to have your sled registered and you are supposed to have a registration decal on your sled(ugly yellow decal). But it hasn't been enforced much. It's been the law for over 20 years in BC. I would imagine that they will be enforcing it alot more now also.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

Cut the vin off the old tunnel and rivot it to the new one. Thats what the dealer did to mine.
All my stuff is registered so this is no problem, probably a good idea and I agree the checks will be totally random unless they want to park a guy at the pay booth for the morning.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the vin off the old tunnel and rivot it to the new one. Thats what the dealer did to mine.
All my stuff is registered so this is no problem, probably a good idea and I agree the checks will be totally random unless they want to park a guy at the pay booth for the morning.

thats wierd cause then it really looks stolen. removed and reapplied vin plate. hmmmmmmmm? easiest way is to contact registries and ask them. i know on trailers you cant do that or make your own anymore just went through it last year.
so hard to keep up on sleds though cause changing tunnels modding etc goes on and a guy doesn't want the hassle of contacting them to get a new vin. also i remember demo sleds never used to have a vin.
had a buddy worked at riverside just after highschool we all rode demos every weekend for 2 yrs none of them had any vin or man.plate riveted on the side.

Top Bottom