Bought a deck and never had one before

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pecos .......right on for us but not for you, now.. did your truck tie down attachment points stand up??? what size of tie downs where you using or where did they fail ?? did your stf deck gussets hold up or break ??? did your actual sled deck stand up or get distroyed, where did it fail ???

Pecos

Reaction score
The turnbuckles shattered.......They were 3/8"..Hence why I've bolted the new one as well as 1/2" turnbuckles and steel safety chain...The actual structure of the deck held up not too bad. The frame was still in one piece(bent up) but the deck,sides,front rack,ramps,ramp guides just blew to pieces.Tow truck driver put all of the pieces back in the truck before it was towed away on a flat bed....hit the truck so hard that it shot the rear diff out the drivers side...... The hold downs in the truck stressed & bent but did not break.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the turnbuckles shattered.......they were 3/8"..hence why i've bolted the new one as well as 1/2" turnbuckles and steel safety chain...the actual structure of the deck held up not too bad. The frame was still in one piece(bent up) but the deck,sides,front rack,ramps,ramp guides just blew to pieces.tow truck driver put all of the pieces back in the truck before it was towed away on a flat bed....hit the truck so hard that it shot the rear diff out the drivers side...... the hold downs in the truck stressed & bent but did not break.

there you go guys.......one guy has unfortunately crash tested his truck just to show us that the factory tie down hooks do work........turn buckles are the problem......

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there you go guys.......one guy has unfortunately crash tested his truck just to show us that the factory tie down hooks do work........turn buckles are the problem......

Frankly, as violent as that crash sounded, I don't think much would have held that deck in. If you're shooting axles/diffs out one side of a truck, I doubt much would be holding on inside the bed.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So did the gussets on your stf deck held up as well Pecos?? that is the part where the turn buckles attach to the actual deck. Man this is great info

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frankly, as violent as that crash sounded, I don't think much would have held that deck in. If you're shooting axles/diffs out one side of a truck, I doubt much would be holding on inside the bed.

should've bolted the diff to the frame better .. must've used turnbuckles at the factory .. that's why the diff shot out the side ..

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i could just emagine what would happen if two sleds where sitting on the deck when this accident occured. Good to hear that the turn buckles are the weak point from truck to deck attachments so far. People bolting down stuff where it is not designed to be attached is not a good idea at all. Use the recommended attachment points only, imo. Maybe picos should of been fined for improper securement of axles and diff.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder if the deck would have been bolted in....would the legs have broke off and the deck still would have been ejected off the truck???? I'm going to say in a good crash there is nothing that will keep a sled in, or on the back of a truck! I talked to Bob from N.A.S.A and his crew crunched a lot of numbers and they feel the same! big crash = no sld in back of truck! LOL

Chiebert

Reaction score
I agree. I dont know if i agree with the fine at all. But it is impossible to argue unless brought to court.

Pecos

Reaction score
Attachment points on deck and truck intact......turnbuckles weakest point......Install heavier turnbuckles and retest to find the next weakest point...lol........anyone want to perform the next test?.......As far as the diff shooting out, weakest point again......it's actually a good thing he hit the diff square on as it absorbed alot of the energy from the impact.......

As far as the fine goes, glad I didn't have to go to court to fight it.......and even more glad no one was hurt by the amazing deck helicopter......wouldn't want to have to fight that........

Chiebert

Reaction score
Yea, I wouldn't imagine a "deck helicopter" would make a very nice hood ornament.

Chiebert

Reaction score
Maybe he was trying to load the boat in the box of his truck?

Bugs

Reaction score
P1010001.jpg P1010002.jpg P1010004.jpg P1010005.jpg P1010006.jpg P1010007.jpg P1010008.jpg P1010009.jpg

Sorry it took so long to post these. Deck built to use fifth wheel plates as holddown. Works great

Bugs

Reaction score
Sorry about the way the pics posted guys i'm going to have to work on making them smaller.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry about the way the pics posted guys i'm going to have to work on making them smaller.

That is the size they get posted. No need to make them smaller, unless you want too

Top Bottom