Bought a deck and never had one before

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as the title says I bought a deck, a sweet aluminum job. The previous owner had it attached using turnbuckles that were attached to the tie down hooks on the four corners of his truck box. This seems to me like it would not be strong enough. Does anyone know if this is a good way to attach the deck? I was thinking bolting it or using a camper type tie down would be stronger. Are there any legal regulations for attaching a deck to a truck box?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
So as the title says I bought a deck, a sweet aluminum job. The previous owner had it attached using turnbuckles that were attached to the tie down hooks on the four corners of his truck box. This seems to me like it would not be strong enough. Does anyone know if this is a good way to attach the deck? I was thinking bolting it or using a camper type tie down would be stronger. Are there any legal regulations for attaching a deck to a truck box?

Nope thats how you do it.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've turnbuckled mine into my truck for a few years now. No issues.
you been pulled over and checked yet?
i am betting not. although it does work it is not right. make a tie down lug that bolts to the frame of the truck where your box bolts down and secure to that. best and safest way imo.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am betting not. although it does work it is not right. make a tie down lug that bolts to the frame of the truck where your box bolts down and secure to that. best and safest way imo.

You are correct, I have not been checked.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Use the turnbuckles and if your not satisfied with that bolt it down aswell. New marathons only mount to the box rail. Pretty weak imo but there getting away with it.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Turnbuckles are fine. The deck weight is supported by the truck box. The turnbuckles to tie downs is more than enough. I have hauled an 800 pound moose into the truck using a come along and one tiedown just to give you an idea how strong they are.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always just used the turnbuckles my self but if marathon can make a new deck that only attaches to the bed rail turnbuckles should be legal then would they not. More strengh from the four tie downs than from the lip of the box imo.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

You would be wrong! Thats how they come from new. And yes it is totally legal.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm seems pretty sketchy to me i have no issue with the turn buckles that should be fine they used that for ever on the old campers. just seems a little weak only tieing down to the box rails or sides that are only rated for 600lbs-1000lbs.
yes all 4 together will hold more than what is loaded but still seems weak imo.

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would actually bolt it to your box. I've seen those tie down points rip out before as well as seen a turn buckle snap while going up a logging road. take a look at the tie down loops and see if you think they can hold 1500lbs from moving around. if you only ever plan on using it on the highway and maintained gravel roads it'll probably be fine, but if you start going up logging roads then some serious force starts working on those loops trying to hold the deck and sleds in place. but to each their own.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The corner tie down points are not load rated by any manufacturer in any literature as far as I know. Go ahead and show me one that does.

Internet keyboard jockeys rate them around 500lbs per corner. Now increase or decrease the load restraint at any angle the the strength will be reduced as the weight is no longer distrubuted equally. They are only welded to sheet metal. Sure lots of people have succesfully tied down items and had no issues. But its not enough and there have been people stopped for inspection who found out it might not be legal.

Ontop of using camper tied downs on my deck, I bolt the legs through the bed. I have 4" backer plates to help distribute the contact surface. Again, its sheet metal. Is the 4 bolts and 4 camper tie downs enough? I would like to think so, but just incase I have a center 3" eye that is bolted through the bed, into the frame. A herc strap (large cargo strap rated for 25000 lbs) ties down the two front corners.

Securing a sled deck properly is very important. If you use tie downs on any part of your sled you will have to ensure the breaking strength is legal as well. Especially in BC.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would actually bolt it to your box. I've seen those tie down points rip out before as well as seen a turn buckle snap while going up a logging road. take a look at the tie down loops and see if you think they can hold 1500lbs from moving around. if you only ever plan on using it on the highway and maintained gravel roads it'll probably be fine, but if you start going up logging roads then some serious force starts working on those loops trying to hold the deck and sleds in place. but to each their own.

no thanks button so ya get a thanks thread

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
hmm seems pretty sketchy to me i have no issue with the turn buckles that should be fine they used that for ever on the old campers. just seems a little weak only tieing down to the box rails or sides that are only rated for 600lbs-1000lbs.
yes all 4 together will hold more than what is loaded but still seems weak imo.

I know guys that use nothing at all!! Thats a little weak lol.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The corner tie down points are not load rated by any manufacturer in any literature as far as I know. Go ahead and show me one that does.

Internet keyboard jockeys rate them around 500lbs per corner. Now increase or decrease the load restraint at any angle the the strength will be reduced as the weight is no longer distrubuted equally. They are only welded to sheet metal. Sure lots of people have succesfully tied down items and had no issues. But its not enough and there have been people stopped for inspection who found out it might not be legal.

Ontop of using camper tied downs on my deck, I bolt the legs through the bed. I have 4" backer plates to help distribute the contact surface. Again, its sheet metal. Is the 4 bolts and 4 camper tie downs enough? I would like to think so, but just incase I have a center 3" eye that is bolted through the bed, into the frame. A herc strap (large cargo strap rated for 25000 lbs) ties down the two front corners.

Securing a sled deck properly is very important. If you use tie downs on any part of your sled you will have to ensure the breaking strength is legal as well. Especially in BC.

Didn't Ford have a commercial crowing about how they could lift the entire truck using only the 4 bed tie down points a couple years back?

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on adding bolts with backing plates through the box, especially with a lifted truck and two sleds on deck, why take a chance ? It would suck to damage a truck box or possibly lose a sled over a few bolts to secure it properly.

Top Bottom