Blubbering etec

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. Brand new .3km on it and can't rev past 6900rpm and it sounds like it's labouring to run. I just put the MBRP can on it and just took it for a burn through the field. Tromped on it once and it lit up and ripped. Made the corner into the field off the road (like 150' from where I first hit the throttle) and nothing. Rev's up slow and idle's and runs like it's heavily over-fueling. No check engine light or anything. Exhaust sensor is in tight.
I'm going to adjust the clickers to 3 from 1 (2700' eleveation) and see if that changes anything and if not I'm going to throw the suitcase back on. If it still runs like ch!t I am going to call Wetaskiwin Motorsports and see what they say. Hopefully it's not a reed!
I filled it with 91 octane at the shell in Wetaskiwin. Could be bad gas too I guess. Gone to work again till the 19th or so and won't be able to mess with it till I get back. I hope it's nothing serious.

Do yourself a favor and put the stock can on it and try it again. This sounds familiar to me. Leave the clickers on 1, clicking up will aggravate the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I think that is the easiest thing to try. Not sure why my sled runs like that when there are hundred's of others running the MBRP.
I don't think I damaged the sensor during the swap as there is no engine light.
If it is the can then what do I do? Try a different one? Suffer with it till it gets to a higher elevation? I really do not want to run that heavy ass suitcase!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I think that is the easiest thing to try. Not sure why my sled runs like that when there are hundred's of others running the MBRP.
I don't think I damaged the sensor during the swap as there is no engine light.
If it is the can then what do I do? Try a different one? Suffer with it till it gets to a higher elevation? I really do not want to run that heavy ass suitcase!!

I ran into this problem on my 2011, same thing leaves a big black mark in the snow when it does it too.
Do some testing with the stock can than put the mbrp on and compare notes.
Put snow on the sensor nut before you try the remove it tho!!
There is probably nothing wrong with your sled, but IF it still does it with the stock can on, you can return the sled to the dealer in stock form.
Keep us posted.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the flash for low elevation that is out for the '12's. Do the '13's need this too?

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is a mbrp too but I put 1700km my sled with it and was good since day 1 but It was the fuel I put fuel from the gas station in town and was fine

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is a mbrp too but I put 1700km my sled with it and was good since day 1 but It was the fuel I put fuel from the gas station in town and was fine

So you had bad fuel that made it run bad back when it was new and other than that it was good?

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I had the mbrp can on when I bought it and untill now it been running good but I do believe it was the bad fuel

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plug indexing washers. mark the open end of the electrode on the side of the porcelain, then install with the open end facing intake using the indexing washers to get it lined up. Flame kernel is exposed as much as possible to the intake charge. I'm pretty sure if you cut the plugs you wouldn't have to index them though. I've always cut the plugs on my sleds, trick I learned from a dude who built engines for Nascar.

Pretty sure BRP index the plugs so the ground strap doesn't block the charge. At idle it is not much of a shot.

YFZ 450

Reaction score
I ran into this problem on my 2011, same thing leaves a big black mark in the snow when it does it too.
Do some testing with the stock can than put the mbrp on and compare notes.
Put snow on the sensor nut before you try the remove it tho!!
There is probably nothing wrong with your sled, but IF it still does it with the stock can on, you can return the sled to the dealer in stock form.
Keep us posted.

Thanks my wife 2011 etec is doing the same thing leaving that big black mark in the snow and doesn't have much power compared to my etec. It has a full SLP exhaust and that's pretty much it. Any other things that I can check out to fix the problem?

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the top end went on me when I was in swan hills last weekend ... Good thing it's under warranty

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine blubbered away too all of a sudden.......putting in new engine now as old one is full of antifreeze....dont know what happened...no overheats or nothing.....thank goodness for warranty

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My blubbering etec was a bad PTO side injector. Gonna take it for a first ride tomorrow and see how she runs.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other than the odd pop fart and miss at lower elevations due to the fact it's still in break in mode, yes the injector deal is done and it's running strong on both cylinders.

Top Bottom