Blubbering etec

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went for a ride tonight and my sled would all of sudden derate and sound like I was hitting a rev limiter but at random rmps ....if I held the throttle it would bogging and start to die.. then I would let off and I would have to work the throttle to build rpm... and it then it would quit and be fine for a while ... It's a 2011 etec summit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went for a ride tonight and my sled would all of sudden derate and sound like I was hitting a rev limiter but at random rmps ....if I held the throttle it would bogging and start to die.. then I would let off and I would have to work the throttle to build rpm... and it then it would quit and be fine for a while ... It's a 2011 etec summit

Did u just change plugs? They have to be installed in a certain direction to run properly, we found this out last year and it was acting pretty strange until we removed and re installed them with correct alignment

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did u just change plugs? They have to be installed in a certain direction to run properly, we found this out last year and it was acting pretty strange until we removed and re installed them with correct alignment

I've never had to change a set of plugs on an etec.. How do you ensure the plug is aligned properly?

halligan

Reaction score
I have 2 buddies having a similar sort of problem. One of the machines has the check engine light, other one doesn't. Both run, but have a sputtering sort of feeling while accelerating. The code thrown is the exhaust temp sensor. Apprently this has been an issue on some of the etec's

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they run like ch!t at low elevation .. if you run at low elevation get the low elevation recalibration kit .. it's just normal !

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I've never changed plugs and there is no check engine light... And the fuel is a week old and 91 octane from the husky in mcbride ... And it's I does hesitate at low elevation but its nots the same ....it did it five times in 2hrs

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be the husky fuel?!??! It has more ethanol in it then the petro canada. But I don't know how the etec reacts to ethanol fuel so that's just a guess.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fuel from the card lock pumps is ethanol free in McBride.. off highway use only

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had to change a set of plugs on an etec.. How do you ensure the plug is aligned properly?

Plug indexing washers. mark the open end of the electrode on the side of the porcelain, then install with the open end facing intake using the indexing washers to get it lined up. Flame kernel is exposed as much as possible to the intake charge. I'm pretty sure if you cut the plugs you wouldn't have to index them though. I've always cut the plugs on my sleds, trick I learned from a dude who built engines for Nascar.

yamadabadoo

Reaction score
I have the same sled. Check the exhaust sensor on the pipe and on the muffler or can. I have had one come loose and it acted pretty weird and started to derate. Also if you've never changed the plugs..... it may be possible you have a bad one. Also check that the clutch is functioning properly and you dont have it in a high setting. The ETEC likes to be loaded or it hits the rev limiter very easily and falls on its face. I put a clutch kit in mine and eliminated that issue. What were you doing when this happens??? Quick accelerations????? or just cruising???/
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
P.S. don't rule out the fuel issue either. Some of these stations have horrible loads of fuel at times.

yamadabadoo

Reaction score
Plug indexing washers. mark the open end of the electrode on the side of the porcelain, then install with the open end facing intake using the indexing washers to get it lined up. Flame kernel is exposed as much as possible to the intake charge. I'm pretty sure if you cut the plugs you wouldn't have to index them though. I've always cut the plugs on my sleds, trick I learned from a dude who built engines for Nascar.
Could you please explain cutting the plugs to me? I've never heard of this. Sounds very interesting.

Hamy

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing last year. First day it ran fine then the second day it started acting weird. It sat on the truck at revy and it rained/snowed all night so I assumed something got wet and was causing the problem. But I also fueled it up for 2nd day in revy - sooo, not really sure what the problem was. But yes, it would run fine & then all of the sudden start bogging and running all screwed up - let off the throttle & then it would run fine again for a while (no codes or engine lights popped up - but it would flash the "warm-up" on the gauges). Brought it home - dryed it out & put new fuel in it, since then everything has been fine. I'm still running the original plugs, but I have sealed all the electrical connections, checked my exhuast sensor regularly, and make sure my clutch is set up properly. I'll bet it was the fuel - and I'll bet its the same for you. They don't like ethanol!

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was burning the same fuel in mcbride and it ran like a champ and It didn't matter what I was doing if was bustin snow drifts or just cruise at a easy speed ..... I would like to know about the cut plugs thou ... Plz do share lol

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 11 etec. When they did the piston recall, they found delaminated reeds. Dealer replaced them on warranty.
I too thought it was bad gas.

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's got 2700km on it and I have done the recall yet for the pistons

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the truck is or just been at the gas station filling there tanks they stir up all the water and stuff in the tank. That might have been the case for you and the reason that it ran fine one day then crappy the next, just a thought!

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It ran good both days till I brought it home

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. Brand new .3km on it and can't rev past 6900rpm and it sounds like it's labouring to run. I just put the MBRP can on it and just took it for a burn through the field. Tromped on it once and it lit up and ripped. Made the corner into the field off the road (like 150' from where I first hit the throttle) and nothing. Rev's up slow and idle's and runs like it's heavily over-fueling. No check engine light or anything. Exhaust sensor is in tight.
I'm going to adjust the clickers to 3 from 1 (2700' eleveation) and see if that changes anything and if not I'm going to throw the suitcase back on. If it still runs like ch!t I am going to call Wetaskiwin Motorsports and see what they say. Hopefully it's not a reed!
I filled it with 91 octane at the shell in Wetaskiwin. Could be bad gas too I guess. Gone to work again till the 19th or so and won't be able to mess with it till I get back. I hope it's nothing serious.

Top Bottom