Blown CV?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
OK so I blew a cv boot last weekend got the new boot put it on put it a bunch in Amsoil synthetic grease Kevin recomended put it all back together took it for a spin and it is still knocking and poping on the one side. Going straight is fine and turning with that wheel outwards is fine, when I turn with that wheel to the inside is when it pops and knocks like it is binding or something.

Could I have maybe not put enough grease in?...I put a bunch in the cup then installed pumped some gease into the cage and around the balls put it back together pumped somemore grease on the bottom side on the cage installed the boot.

Or is the CV shot?... everything looked normal taking it apart after I got all the skeg and grass out of it. after I cleaned it all up everything seems to look and feel normal
How do you know when it is shot?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ok So I Blew A Cv Boot Last Weekend Got The New Boot Put It On Put It A Bunch In Amsoil Synthetic Grease Kevin Recomended Put It All Back Together Took It For A Spin And It Is Still Knocking And Poping On The One Side. Going Straight Is Fine And Turning With That Wheel Outwards Is Fine, When I Turn With That Wheel To The Inside Is When It Pops And Knocks Like It Is Binding Or Something.

Could I Have Maybe Not Put Enough Grease In?...i Put A Bunch In The Cup Then Installed Pumped Some Gease Into The Cage And Around The Balls Put It Back Together Pumped Somemore Grease On The Bottom Side On The Cage Installed The Boot.

Or Is The Cv Shot?... Everything Looked Normal Taking It Apart After I Got All The Skeg And Grass Out Of It. After I Cleaned It All Up Everything Seems To Look And Feel Normal
How Do You Know When It Is Shot?
Hey Murm.... You Can Actually Take A Pressure Washer To The C/v Joint And Clean It Out, Then Blow Dry And Repack With Lots Of Grease Before Putting The Boot Back On.... If You Didn't Clean It Out, Then Some Of The Old Dirt Could Be Causing The Noise, But More Than Likely The Joint Is Worn, Due To Muck Getting Into The Joint, And You Will Need To Replace The Joint Or Axle(whichever Is Cheaper).... Good Luck And Keep Us Informed!!!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
yup I pressure washed it out and finished cleaning it in the varsol tank so you could eat off it...it was the inner joint the slip one not the the fixed outer

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Not a problem Kevin at Rapid says $90 for an axle with inner on it :D...tanks SR

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume this is a front axle.

The cage will shatter like glass if the OEM joint was shot. Or, is this a Gorrilla Axle?

Did you get the cage and inner race on the correct way? Cage and inner race are directional. Is the spindle all the way in the bearing carrier/hub (is spindle caught up on the inner seal and thus not seated correctly)?

Binding while turning only one way make me suspicious of wheel bearings and/or brake re-assemble problems or tire interferance or loose ball joint.

That CV takes about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grease.

Your last statement mentions an axle with inner CV. Inboard CV are sold separtely. Outboard CVs are sold with the axle.

Thinking out load here.

So more thoughts..... The built in ackerman ensures the wheel steers sharper inwards than outward, so if it is in fact a binding CV then I am really thinking the CV was not re-assembled correctly or still has dirt in it... so back to my comment about the inner race and cage being directional.

I have had these CVs apart so many times that I just know when they are wrong when I re-assemble them, but I don't know if I can explain the difference.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Nope it is a rear and stock, i'm pretty sure I put it back together the same way I took it apart...BUT I did drop 1 ball in the garbage can the was totally full and it took me an hour to go through it to find the stupid thing :rant:. When I did put it back together I didn't pack it like you would a wheel bearing I just pumped some grease around it. Someone else mentioned a wheel bearing off another site I didn't check that out. I do have the online parts manual that a printed off and I sure it is toghter right. I'm going to pull it apart again next week when I get back, and I will take pics of the step by process for future references.
Oh and I thought Kevin said the inner comes with the axle...oh well :D

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, rear does make a difference.

I suggest you have some listen at the rear when you turn to isolate if it is in the hub end or the diff end.

If noise is at the diff end, make sure the CV if full engaged in the diff. If it isn't the spline will bind and make bad noises. If full engaged, there is something wrong in the CV. The directional parts still appy to the rear CVs. Half fill the cup with grease before sliding the bearings and cage into the cup; then you know everything is lubed.

The only thing that can really go wrong on the hub end is the bearings.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ok to revisit this took everything apart add a lot more grease to the joint to it for a spin....still knocking jack it up and that side tire is flopping around like a wet noodle, viola thats it go to stealer bend over take it right in the cinnamon ring :rant:....give them the cash walk away with new wheel bearings. Install them take it for a spin same friggin knock nothing changed tomorrow calling Royal and going to get them to overnight me a new axle and cv change the whole works.....if it still does it I'm burning the Pr**k....guess serves me right leaving it till the last minute :nono:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well called all over, Royal 1st told me they could get a joint $139 but they would have to order since they don't stock it.I said I will see if I can find one local, that was a no go called them back now they say I can't get it and it has to be ordered through Yamaha. Called Yamaha $441 :rant:...guess the cinnimon ring is going to be sore again.

If it was an 03-07 it wouldn't be a problem but 02 is specific to 02.....hmmm maybe time for a new grizz:d.....nope wife shot that down

Top Bottom