Blown 2 QD Belts

Indy245

Reaction score
First one blew at 102.8 miles. Broke it in as per procedure, at 100 miles started driving it normally; was doing tight hard turns in deep snow when it blew. Polaris warrantied the belt.

Installed new belt with Polaris install tool. Cleaned out tub. Extra careful riding now as I want ensure I follow the break in exactly. Head out on hard pack trail.

Second belt blew at 109.1 miles. (Odometer reads 109.1 miles) The belt and pulleys were really hot.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I'm going to ensure the following is checked:
-straightness and tension of track
-alignment of belt
-belt tension
-pulley cogs are smooth and free of burs, etc
-driveshaft straight
-brake is not dragging

Looking for ideas on anything else they should check? :confused:

Last edited:

orangemaddness

Reaction score
is that 109 more miles or 7 miles on the second belt i have heard of a couple now with belts breaking more frequently im wondering if it isnt an alignment problem. good luck let us know if you figure out why.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it rubbing in the belly panel? Seen one at the Dealership that had rubbed through the bottom of the side panel.
Everything was straight & lined up. Just when riding deep snow the panel would rub on the bottom pully & belt.

Indy245

Reaction score
109.1 total miles on the sled. Belly pan does not seem to be rubbing, I can run my finger under the bottom. The failures are on the cogs stripping off.

Last edited:

Polaris117

Reaction score
Did you have the update done on the driveshaft? It sounds to me like you have one of the ones with the end wobbling where it was pressed together

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want to ask if you have the track adjusted properly because I think that if it ratchets it will strip the cogs for sure, I know some are coming with the track not even close to tight enough. I am interested to know if there is any correlation.

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want to ask if you have the track adjusted properly because I think that if it ratchets it will strip the cogs for sure, I know some are coming with the track not even close to tight enough. I am interested to know if there is any correlation.

How tight should my track be? I have a 163 with 150 miles on it, no problems love the sled. Shalt sholud I be looking for when adjusting the track?

Indy245

Reaction score
The axle update was done before it was driven. The track is tighter than a friends same sled and he is not having this issue. The manual might have the track tension procedure in it, if not I think I read the procedure either here or on Snowest.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The track tension spec is to hang a 10 lb weight 16" ahead of the rear axle centerline. Track sag off of the rails is to be between 3/8" and 1/2". This is a pretty tight track in my opinion.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How tight should my track be? I have a 163 with 150 miles on it, no problems love the sled. Shalt sholud I be looking for when adjusting the track?

If you look in your manual it tells you exactly but if you measure 16" back from the rear axle and hang a 10lb weight off the track clip you should only have 3/8 to 1/2 inch of clearance between the clip and the slider, same on both sides keeping the track aligned at the same time. It ends up being very tight but it will not ratchet when set properly.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh pistonbroke beat me to it lol. it is very tight yes but it works very well.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The track tension spec is to hang a 10 lb weight 16" ahead of the rear axle centerline. Track sag off of the rails is to be between 3/8" and 1/2". This is a pretty tight track in my opinion.

I used to run my track as loose as I could without it jumping the drivers thinking that I was robbing HP to turn a tight track, then one day I had the chance to sit down with one of the guys from the factory that designed tracks and he explained something to me that I knew was happening but never thought about what it really meant. When you run the track loose and it comes off the driver and wants to continue outward away from the rail creating a bulge or ripple that in soft snow can carry all the way to the back of the track. This eats up massive HP and actually takes away track speed, some people still don't believe this but in my experience it turns out to be true.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very true..... a loose track is ok on trail and hard pack but the track needs to be somewhat tight to stop the loss of hp. i was at quartz a couple of years ago and track skipped on a climb and came down... tightened and i noticed the diff right away and it has never been loose since.

Nice post cs5

• Thanks
Reactions: cs5

Indy245

Reaction score
Dealer in Grande Prairie called today to tell me that they have found nothing wrong. I will try one more belt if I have any issues there will be a brand new RMK pro for sale on Kijiji.
After the 100 mile break in has anyone jumped there sled? No jumping is what I was told, haven't barely got it off the ground yet.

Toro

Reaction score
Sounds like an alignment issue creating vibration at speed hence the excessive temperatures. That belt design should not get much hotter that serpentine belts in automotive applications normally. The other possibility is that an alignment issue is created under acceleration because of frame flexing. Maybe a closer inspection of the frame and supports, anything lose, missing, broken.

blackie205

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i did 3 - 9 mile trips on my sled,this was to let the belt heat then cool and bond the rubber then after this i then did 15 miles of easy trail riding followed by wot pow riding ,not saying this will work for everyone but it worked great for me i also started building footwell vents witch i added on first ride and it keeps the snow and ice out i also installed a skid plate under the qd belt 455 miles and loving it so far

snowhunter

Reaction score
I did the hundred mile break in as per the manual and then proceeded to drive the crap out of it wheelies jumping u name it both in the mountains snd on the flat 450 miles so far and belt looks like new

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Dealer in Grande Prairie called today to tell me that they have found nothing wrong. I will try one more belt if I have any issues there will be a brand new RMK pro for sale on Kijiji.
After the 100 mile break in has anyone jumped there sled? No jumping is what I was told, haven't barely got it off the ground yet.

must a got a lemon.....everyone else is perfectly happy :beer:

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my new pro out for the first time on the weekend, and no problems with QD belt, put on 45 miles. FYI the sled is boosted also. Hopefully I don't have any issues but looks good so far.

Top Bottom